Favorite 20 Caliber cartridge??

Discussion about small caliber firearms.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Favorite 20 Caliber cartridge??

Post by skipper »

What is your favorite 20 caliber cartridge, and why?
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Re: Favorite 20 Caliber cartridge??

Post by Tom Kat »

I only have the one! but I have 2 ea .204 Rugers....fast, accurate, fun!
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Skipper, good idea for a post subject, it's sure to get some responses. FWIW, here's my choice and reasons:

Although the 204R got me into the .20 caliber mindset, and I still enjoy the performance, another twenty has gained favor with me. Comparisons are between the 204R and the 20VT:

20VarTarg
* Much less (1/3) powder used per shot (18.5 grs = 3,700 fps)
* Velocity of 3,700 - 3,800 fps with 32gr bullets is entirely feasible
* Longer barrel life, less throat erosion, less barrel heat
* Less/easier cleaning, longer strings between cleaning
* About zero felt recoil, see all your hits/misses
* Minimal muzzle blast
* One pound of powder = 378 loaded rounds (@ 18.5 grs)
* Accuracy that must be experienced to be fully believed

During some bullet testing, the results speak for themselves:

The little 20VT gives about 90% of 204R performance with 1/3 less powder for the same velocity. During prime time in the rat patch when the alfalfa is greening up, I've most always got a 204 handy for those times when the rats are frolicking about way out there around the 400 yard mark for that bit of extra horsepower, but for banging rats all day, the 20VT gives much less fatigue over hours of shooting.

Two of the local ranches here gladly let me shoot rock chucks on their property when I use either my 221FB or 20VT, but I almost got kicked off one of them back around 2006 with my first 204R (Sako M75 Varmint 204R) because of the loud blast. That event quickly taught me about noise, minimal case capacity, and what's really required to knock a large chuck off his rock perch with minimal noise and blast. You just don't need 25+grs of powder to do it, period.

In the field, it's much less of this:

And much more of this:

After all, more shooting and less cleaning with more hits and less expense is what it's all about, right? :chin:
And that's all I have to say about this.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I use and enjoy like others more than one 20 caliber. 20VT, 20SCC, 20/222, 204R & a 20/223AI w/40 Degree shoulder. But if really listed any of them as #1 overall, with my 20 cal shooting, I would agree fully with Rick and go with the 20VT. It is just one overall fine cartridge. :D
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I only have two 20 calibers, 20 VT & 204. A couple of my 204's are heavy enough I can see the hits. The other one is a CZ carbine, and it's a great walk-around rig and while deadly accurate, it is-not the ideal bench rig for rat shooting primarily because the barrel heats up very quickly. All of my 204's with the 39gr SBK are very accurate and would probably carry better in the stiff wind and at greater distance than with 32 grain pills.

The 20 VT, there is nothing more to add that hasn't been said already. If I had to choose one 20 caliber to go with, it would be my 20 VT.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

So, a shout out to my 221 Remington Fireball. Its been a lot of fun and last year I shot a big male coyote with it.

Not much mentioned here about 35 gr Bergers for hunting. I have developed a load for my CZ 204 that likes them well enough to go hunting with. We will see how the new .204 likes them.

I would like to try the 20VT some time
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Anyone have any experience with 20 caliber distance shooting? I already have a 204R bench gun that I love, but it has it's limitations. I was looking into the 20 BR or the 20 PPC. On another site it describes them as less prone to wind drift than a 6 mm. I'm not going to do anything but punch paper with this sort of cartridge anyways. I am a benchrest enthusiast, not a competitor, and looking for something that can reach out a ways while bucking the wind better than a 204R.

It's no secret that I'm primarily a duck hunter, but I love accurate rifles. That's what led me to the 204 Ruger years ago.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I have and my one past partner on hunts for GS/Rock Chucks/and other varmint's have had dialed up hits with our 20VT, 20SCC and 204's out to the 400 yrd make. That is about as far as we mostly shot them, most of the time and it worked well. We both have made a few hits & kills a little further, but normal distance is 300-350 yrd and closer being the farthest shot on a regular day off a shooting bench in pivots and rim rocks.
The 20 caliber does a fine job, and often better than most believe it can. :D

I also should add I have a 20 Tac and 20-223AI ( 40 degree shoulder) that are fine shooters also.
Last edited by Bill K on Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
jpx2rk
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV, R783/20P combo

Post by jpx2rk »

I have two each of the 204R and 20 Practicals, 3 out of the 4 have threaded barrels so I can use a suppressor or brake. I know, a brake is not really needed for these calibers, but a brake all but eliminates any muzzle flip and allows me to watch the "show" so to speak. One 20 P has a 1.2" straight barrel (aka Fat Boy) and I'm not interested in messing with getting it threaded (bought the barrel new but 2nd hand), very little muzzle flip due to the weight. I wear ear muffs all the time, so using a suppressor is a bit of pain to me since they usually need more maintenance than a brake, and I shoot from a bench as well.

I don't really have a preference for one caliber over the other except I for the small pleasure I get from necking down the 223 brass to the 20P and it working/shooting accurately. I prefer the low recoil calibers over the big boomers that lots of people seem to prefer, and that's ok, shoot what you enjoy or want. :D
Master Piddler ;)
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

As long as the wind does t blow, 20VT. All I run is 32-34’s in it. This is a 26” full bull, Choate stock has #9 shot in every available space, weighs about 27+ pounds.
By spring that may change as I am trying to get moving on my 20BR project.

I have been running everything suppressed. Works as good if not better than any brake I ever had.
Take it apart and toss it in the sonic cleaner. Dry it and wipe it down, done.

I bought a rig a year ago that came with a big clamp on brake, 6.5x47 Lapua. 2 rounds and I am done, can feel the concussion in your sinuses. Also makes people leave.
K22
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber

Post by K22 »

I only have one 20 cal. and it's the 204R, but, I do have 2 of them. :D
I've heard lots of good things about the other 20's but never ventured that direction. I'm mainly a Coyote hunter and a ultra light rifle in 204 (or 17 Rem. of course 8) ) just plain works for me, especially in the mountains. I use a lot of 37gr. bullets in mine with some 35gr. also. I found the 37's to be a nice compromise between the 35 and the 40's.

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Looks good K22 and as you said it works. Not a thing wrong with that. Thanks for sharing the photo. :)
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

Nice looking rig.
Are the 37’s something that is available ?
K22

Post by K22 »

Bill K wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:00 pm Looks good K22 and as you said it works. Not a thing wrong with that. Thanks for sharing the photo. :)
Here's its twin. It started out life as a 204 but elevated itself to a 17 Rem. :lmao: :hammer:

K22

Post by K22 »

jsh wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:55 pm Nice looking rig.
Are the 37’s something that is available ?
Yes. Brian of Blackhole Bullets has them.

https://blackholebullets.com/