What is a Small Caliber

Discussion about small caliber firearms.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

What is a Small Caliber

Post by skipper »

For the purpose of this Forum, what should we say are the specifics of a small caliber? We need to include rifles and handguns. Perhaps parameters for each that we feel suits the 204 Ruger.com website? Let's hear your thoughts!

This is all subject to the website owner's approval. Thanks, in advance!
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: What is a Small Caliber

Post by Bill K »

My thoughts are for a center fire cartridge, from 17 to 20 caliber. Possible something in the 14 cal, as there are some that shoot that.
To me anything above the 204 diameter is a medium one i.e. 224 and up. Could be chambered in either a handgun or rifle, of various persuasions. Single shot or repeater action. :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

IMO, the lead title should reflect words that draw shooters to the site.....

Varmint
Sub-Caliber or Small Caliber

To me, this includes .224" calibers and smaller, that being the .17 and .20 calibers. The number of shooters that are fielding calibers smaller than .17 could be counted on two hands in terms of overall forum participation. Of course if anyone wanted to post about a smaller caliber, they wouldn't be tossed to the lions either.

We're all familiar with some other very popular forums that have separate sub-forums for both varmints and small calibers, so we'd have to compete with that format and keep the 'new' one here viable. Thinking caps on, gentlemen. :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

You make a good point Rick. Maybe from 224 caliber and down. Many shoot the various 22 calibers, especially the 223 Rem on varmints as we do, but I , yourself, I believe and others seem to do most with that 17 and 20 calibers, that majority of the time, now days.

So maybe from 224 on down would be a good start, to boost the old forum. :)
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I too think of 224 down to 17 cal but, there are some big 224 calibers out there these days.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Thank you Jim for chiming in and adding to the thoughts and conversation. Now if more members will do so also, maybe we can get more life breathed into this fine, old site. :)
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim, in regard to "small caliber", and starting the criteria at .224", I believe we're talking about bore size, not case size or volume. A 22 Hornet is a small caliber at .224", but so is a 220 Swift, albeit with much larger powder capacity, but both are 'small caliber'.

Make sense?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Rick...absolutely. I don't disagree at all and should have been more clear. When I think of 22 CF cartridges my first image is the ole' 223 Remington and a fine and fun cartridge it is. I've actually thought of procuring one of those larger capacity 22 CF cartridges but just never got around to it but, I've become real fond of the 221 Fireball.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I hear ya Jim. For the past few years, my 221FB (Furball :mrgreen: ) and 20VT do about 80% of my rat shooting chores. My 223's are now pretty much considered the "big" guns for rats. After over 50 years of shooting the little buggers, it's now obvious that it doesn't take 25+grs of powder to launch a rat at 300 yards. Those two little ones thrive on only 18.5grs, with less blast and recoil too.

But I'll freely admit that the 223 launches the rats much better than either the 221FB or the 20VT, as the below aerial traveller will attest, being launched skyward by my Cooper 223:

I suppose the term "small caliber" means different things to various people.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

jpx2rk
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV, R783/20P combo

Post by jpx2rk »

I agree the 224 should be considered small caliber, but just wondering if the 20/22br's are welcome?? I would hope so, jus cause they use more powder, doesn't mean the size of the bullet changed. LOL
Master Piddler ;)
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

My opinion is, if it is 224 caliber or smaller it is in. We are talking caliber, not cartridge size. What ever case floats your boat, so to speak, as long as the caliber is 224 or smaller, would be just fine with me. :D
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

I had tossed this around and forgotten about it.
I know those that run these sites are way over worked and under paid.
But it seems there needs to be some kind of “click bait” to get folks to come, and then keep coming back.
As to “small caliber”. I get the angle of 20 and under. But, as mentioned that drops the 22 Hornet and the 222, just mention others that may be a darling but have a lesser following.
So, my thoughts if it is not a whole pile of work, maybe have the 204 all on its own? Or maybe factory offerings of small calibers, which includes a fair number though some may be sparse.
Then parent case specific BR, PPC/Grendel/ARC.
I would almost put the 22Hornet and it’s offspring as one, I have seen/read on .270-.12-.14 on it.
Those that use say the 25 or 32 case and others as wildcats.

Just a thought gents. In the last year I have been contacted by a fair number of folks either wanting me to make brass for them or how to do it.
Saubiers is a good site, I fear a large amount of knowledge and findings could be lost. A lot of searches don’t lead there for some reason. I still miss the “shooters” site though I was only involved with it for a year or two before it went to cyber space. 24HCF was the place to be some years back, it has, um I will be nice and just say issues that need addressed.

I do believe being specific to the 204 today may well be the reason traffic is slow. Lack of a better definition the “new has worn” off.

As a side note, one reason I find myself at AS on a pretty regular basis is, I go in search of a specific question or thing, that in turns sends me down a rabbit hole, then actually forgetting what I went there for to begin with!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

jsh, you bring some good points to the table.

As 'click-bait' goes, I firmly believe that the word 'varmint' should be included in any proposed title, as well as 'small caliber' of some sort, as the small calibers are primarily used for varmints. Varmint shooters use small calibers almost exclusively, make sense?

If we don't generate some interest here, which brings traffic, this forum will be moribund within another year by the way it's going now.

More ideas gentlemen? :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

I agree. Varmints are the things that get peoples attention.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

Maybe a rebranding and new forum name AND look would help? A new product launch? It would be good, IMO, to have a PICTURE or something visual on the forum front page...
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes