CZ 527 OAL

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Deej

CZ 527 OAL

Post by Deej »

Hi, I am new to the board. Have spent alot of time reading posts....Great stuff all! I have learned alot from the posts.

I just bought a new CZ 527 american with the blond maple stock ($425)....pretty :D . My friend that I bought it from never shot it, so I'm working some loads up now. (H4895 39 BK to start)

I noticed that my OAL is reduced to the length of my magazine. I found my max is 2.335. Is that what most of you are doing?

I am also going to head north and pick up som 39g Calhoons. Anyone shoot them?
Hoping to get to the range this week!
mudturtle

Post by mudturtle »

I got my CZ American about a year ago now. I my magazine length to be 2.333". I first loaded rounds to 2.32", but found that rounds would hang up in the magazine so I started loading to 2.300" and have had little trouble. You will love your CZ, that sporter barrel is scary accurate.
take only what the good Lord gives you and give back more than you are given
hunterapp

Post by hunterapp »

Welcome: Deej, you will like things here; a great bunch of folks looking to help. A word of warning on the CZ, in all likelihood you will feel the need for a Varmint before long. Nothing wrong with the American, The heavier barrel just makes things that much better.

That being said I Have a 204 in a Varmint, as well as the American. Each rifle tends to shoot very well, although my American took a little more to eek the best accuracy out of her. Neither rifle seems sensitive to OAL. I am sure the insensitivity is due to the long throat.

I have seated anywhere between 2.245 out to, 2.32 and generally prefer the shorter OAL for consistent smooth chambering. H4895 is a good powder to start with. Two additional propellants that I will recommend one give a try are RL-10X and my favorite, Varget.

If you work up to a max load of Varget and don’t find an accurate combination to keep those 39gr SBK’s inside of a nickel at a buck ill be surprised.

Good luck ;)
Gmoney
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter .204 topped with a Leupy 4-12

Post by Gmoney »

I also had magazine issues with mine...
Didn't fiddle with it too much as I only had it for 3 weeks and only shot paper before I sold it...

-Greg
Deej

Post by Deej »

Thanks guys, I am using H4895 for my first loads, but I do have a bottle of Varget.....so many options to try!

Nice to know the AOL isn't going to affect it to much as long as I stay within my limit.

I chose the American for the ease of carrying for coyotes, but thought long and hard on the varmint, but the price was right on the American!

My goal is to get a great coyote load in the 35 berger( sold out in stores here in Great Falls), and I want to also get a good load in the 39 calhoon. They are easy for me to get, and cheaper to shoot.

Thanks for your input!