32 gr. Nosler BT ?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
OldSchool
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP Super Sniper 10x

32 gr. Nosler BT ?

Post by OldSchool »

Has anyone loaded for this thing yet? I am wondering how it shoots considering it is the only 32 gr boattail out there. I thought it might nip at the heels of the 40's given the extra speed versus BC
Thanks!
"There's only one truth about war: people die." - Sheridan
contender hunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Contender 23'' Bull BBL. Custom laminate Stock

Post by contender hunter »

Hey old school how you doing , its been a little while !! You have a good point there, but I think I am going to stay with the heavier 39 gr. sierra's for these huge chucks we have here , and just in case - your out for small varmits and a yote happens to come your way :shock: unless your after the splat factor on P-dogs :eek:

Hey how did that south of PA woodchuck hunt go , I never heard !! BTW I was at the kitchen table SAT . and looked out in the field and there's a huge chuck walking across 6'' of hard packed snow !! Guess he woke up a little early :eek: he was pretty close so I didn't 204 him!!!

Are you still stationed at the Gap??
OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

Yeah Bro I am still here.
Been workin on finding places to coyote hunt and this weather has been drivin me nuts the last few months. Really want to blast a dog though. I got one in September up in Ricketts Glen area.
The WV chuck hunt went pretty well. My bosses ranch had about 4 or 5 chucks livin under the different buildings, I got three of them. One was a huge male had to have been +20lbs. I could barely hold onto one leg and carry it off into the brush.
Last Dec. I went home to Oregon and did some jackrabbit hunting. Toasted about 20 or so. Used the 32gr vmax, 39gr BK and the 40gr Berger BTHP. All bullets nuked rabbits. The 39 was probably the meanest. Let a lot go because I wanted shots with some range to them. Me and my buddy are pretty picky that way and didn't take any shots inside about 75 yds or so, which means a lot get away.
Take Care!!!!!!!!!!!!!
contender hunter

Way to go on the yote !!! Did you call him in in daylite hours ?? What call ?? tell me the whole scoop!!!!!!!!!!!!
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

I only bought one box of Noz 32's seeing as I had such bad luck with thier fortys. They do look sexy in that little skirt. They're next on the list.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

Cool jo, keep me posted

Contender, I called her in to about 75yds. at about 4:30pm in the timber. Used a rodent distress first in case one was close, then a locator howl then waited a while and did some kiyi's. Then I did some rabbit distress and waited and here she come runnin. Hit her smack in the chest with a 39gr BK and she did a back flip and jittered and that was it. On the way back to the truck I was crossin a log over a creek my camera got pulled off my belt into the drink never to be seen again.
The next morning I had a big one comin in when some mountain bikers down on the road slammed a car door spooked it.
Have had a few comin in since then but nothing on the ground since.
Take Care
OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

Contender,
Have you been see'in any yotes where you live?
contender hunter

I haven't seen any lately , but the local sportsman club has a yote hunt every year , they just had it a couple weeks ago and I think they shot around 7 , they all use dogs as far as I no . Also I no a local guy that shot a 35 pd. bobcat !!! recently .
OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

Yeah I have to work this weekend so I don't know if I will get a chance to hunt at all or not. I am putting a Sharpshooter Supply trigger on my gun and a different scope as soon as the trigger comes in so at least I will have something to keep me busy.
OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

Got 200 of the nosler 32's in yesterday. I am loading them on top of some 10x and will try to get out tomorrow and see what they can do.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

I'll be interested in your results. I launched a few with two seperate lots of W-748 just to test some old free powder. FWIW average 18fps difference between two lots roughly 15 years apart. The groups looked promising too.
They did get bumped down the list to try the 40 Bergs tho.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

Holy Cow, them little pills are fast. I am getting about .27 inch groups for five shots with a stiff shot of 10x. Moly coated the little buggers and put them on top of some new Nosler brass. Love em. Gonna shoot them at 300 next week and try them on some whistle pigs.
contender hunter

Old school , let us no how the little 32's do against the big pigs , I doubt you will see any exit at all , but just jelly inside !! I hope to find some chucks pretty soon to try out the 39 grainer's .
OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

I really like the 39's. I have hit chucks with the 39 BK and the 32 vmax and I think the BK does a lot more damage. I have some 40gr Bergers and these ballistic tips to try on them soon. Going to hunt down on Letterkenney soon. I think the Nosler brass was a big help in getting those small groups. Also, the RBCS Chargemaster I bought really throws uniform loads.