Couple of questions

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Super 91

Couple of questions

Post by Super 91 »

I'm brand new to the 204, but really like the ballistic tables and so forth. I just bought a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .204, and am waiting on a scope to come in to get to be able to shoot it. I put a Timney trigger spring kit on the gun, and now have a very sweet 1 pound, 13 ounce trigger with no creep and break clean. I might even go a little lighter but this is fine since most of my shooting with be at varmits and the like.

I bought 1000 rounds of Winchester brass since I am going to be shooting a good bit, and got some 32g v-max, 40g v-max, and some 39g blitzkings to try. I see you guys have lots a great loads I can't wait to try, but I am wondering about the powder and primer selections.

Mainly the primers. I have a new case of Federal Gold Match 205m's that I bought a couple of years ago that I have never used but have been in my primer storage vault. Will thise be a decent primer to start with, or should I gete a case of the Remington 7.5's?

Also, I want a very accurate load and one that is as fast as possible that still stays accurate. Any suggestions as far as powders for the bullets I have chosen? I will mostly be shooting ground hogs, but will have to chance for a coyote or two so will most likely opt for the 39 grain SBK as my "go to" bullet.

Thanks for any help. Ilove the site. Lots of great info here.
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Super 91, Welcome to the forum. I don't know about the Federal primers. I have only used 7.5's and have been happy with them. H4895 is my favorite powder. It will power all the bullets you asked about safely within the load map. There are a ton of published loads here for all the powders.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Powders and Primers

Post by Vartarg »

I mainly use CCIBR4 primers, since lately they've been more available, though I like the Rem 7.5's also. For powder I'm using RL10X with very good results, though I've experimented lately with BLC2. ApparentlyH4895 and RL10X are the "gold standard" for .204 loads. Welcome to the world of the .204 and good luck. George
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

I'm using Federal match primers with good results. My powder for now is Benchmark. I'm shooting 32 gr blitzkings and the results are very good. I have shot some 10x and will experiment some more after upcoming pd trip. I believe the 10x has potential for my gun, but I didn't load enough to give it a complete workout.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

I am currently using CCI450 (small rifle magnum) with H4895 and the eight or so other powders that I have tried. Seems to deliver the most consistent groups and chrono info.

Keith in GA - have you tried the 450's yet?

Of note, the 205M's will be the next primer to try, I just did not have any when I worked up loads for my 204.

I have tried:
BR4
CCI400
Rem 6.5
Rem 7.5
Win WSR
CCI 41
Super 91

Post by Super 91 »

WOW! Thanks for all the replies. I am going to get some Rem 7.5's to have on hand since I know they work, and will probably get a few different powders to try that you guys have recommended.

Thanks for all the info. I can't wait to get the new Zeiss on top of her and see what she can do!!
Sask Boy

Post by Sask Boy »

Hi, welcome to to the forum.
I am fairly new to the forum and I have been loading for my 204 for a month or so. I have tried V-Max both in the 32 & 40 using H4895 and 205s but I could not get any group.
I then switched to 39 BKs and it turned around and I have been more than satisfied
We seem to be having a shortage of primers up here in Canada and I could not get any feds so I ordered 2500 cci brs and I hope that they will do the job.
I will also be trying some of the other bullets as well now as I think that my barrel is now broken in. This could also be one of the reasons why my accuracy has improved so much.

Keep the Son in your eyes.
Bless You
Dan
Keep the Son in your eyes.
Bless You
Dan
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Primers/Powder

Post by Vartarg »

I'm using CCIBR4, since they're currently more available than the Rem 7.5's, which are also excellent.

Powders I've tried: RL10X, Benchmark, N140, BLC2 and Varget. I'm going steady right now with the RL10X, and the other "top mention' powder is H4895.

Welcome to the forum and good luck.....

George
headspace

Post by headspace »

Super91,

I am really looking forward to see how you are making out. I just purchased my first 204, a Browning stainless a-bolt, and much like yourself am waiting for a scope. I have purchased some Berger 35's, winchester brass, BR4 primers and Benchmark powder as a place to start. Looks like the Benchmark may be a little on the warm side if you are trying to push higher velocity. I want to moly coat the Bergers and start running them through the Redding dies this week.

All I know up till now is the Winchester brass did need some work. I have turned the necks (didn't need much), squared up the case's (pretty bad shape), deburred the flash holes and cleaned up the primer pockets.

I hope your results are as high as my expectations.