reloading remington xr-100

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
madracer

reloading remington xr-100

Post by madracer »

Hi all.

To all remington owners out there i am wondering what size groups people are getting out of there rifles?

no matter what i seem to try i cant get a consistant 5 shot group under .4 of an inch. 1/2 inch is no problem and theres 3 load combos i have managed to get down to this size but i cant get under it.

will primers make much of a difference in group size as ive only tried wsr?

The load i currently use is 39 gr bk, win brass and 27.0 gr AR2206h powder (chrono'ed at 3650)

also has any of the xr100 owners had any work done on the rifles to make them shoot better.

cheers for any help.
Last edited by madracer on Sat May 26, 2007 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Are you talking XP-100 as in the pistol or the XR-100 as in rifle?
Last edited by WrzWaldo on Sat May 26, 2007 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madracer

Post by madracer »

my bad,
xr 100 rangemaster
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Here are a couple loads that work for me.

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

"no matter what i seem to try i cant get a consistant 5 shot group under .4 of an inch. 1/2 inch is no problem and theres 3 load combos i have managed to get down to this size but i cant get under it"

Those results are excellent for any factory rifle and barrel, if we are realistic about things, especially considering dollars spent so far. I'd certainly try the Rem. 7.5 primers and Federal 205Ms, along with them. Lots of other posters here seem to like the CCI BR-4s, too. A simple primer swap might make a difference, only your rifle will know for sure until you try them. Your results so far are nothing to sneeze at, don't be surprised if you DON'T improve by much, that's pretty hard to do without spending big dollars on the rifle.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I have an XR-100. It will shoot in the 3's with RE-10X and H4895. My most accurate load is with the 40 gr. Bergers but the 39 gr. Sierra BK's will group in the 3's also if everything is right. As usual, work up to this load in small increments like .2 grain each step. 25.1 gr RE-10X, 39 gr. Sierra BK, CCI BR-4 primer and WW or RP brass. The brass got my usual full prep treatment. Trimmed, chamfered, deburred, flash holes inside and out, primer pockets, neck turned just to take off the high spots, etc.

You might want to check your run out also. Run out seemed to be the one thing that I have found that will destroy groups faster than anything else. Roll a loaded cartridge across a table. Watch the very tip of the bullet. If it wobbles, that's run out. I used to use the RCBS Gold Medal Match seating die with the little reloading window and micrometer top. Bottom line was that the die wouldn't seat the bullets straight no matter what I did. When I switched to the Redding Competition seating die with micrometer the run out problem was solved. Other shooters here will tell you the same story.

As for work done on the rifle, I haven't felt the need to do anything except lighten the trigger pull with the adjustment screw. Other than that, I haven't done anything. Get a good front rest and rear bag if you don't have one already. With the pistol grip stock, watch for rifle cant each shot. The stock seems to like to roll to the right every shot due to the shape of the butt. I line my crosshairs up with the vertical and horizontal lines on the target every shot. Good luck.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
The N.U.B.

Post by The N.U.B. »

I shoot both the XR-100 and a Kimber Provarmint. The XR-100 is a tiny bit more accurate.

Here are some pictures of the XR-100 groups from last fall.

First is 25.0 grains of Varget with the 40gn. Berger.

This is with 26.6 grains of Benchmark pushing a 35 grain Berger. This is the load I settled on for prairie dogs.

Finally two groups with 26.0 grains of Benchmark and the 40 grain Bergers. The group on the left is with neck trimming the cases and the one on the right is without. I have since stopped trimming. These are 10 shots at 100 yards with about a 5 kt wind from the right.

And finally a group of groups with RE-10X. Most have load next to the group shot.

As you can see, this is a really great shooting rifle. I have not performed any work on it at all and haven't even changed the setting on the trigger. I hope your rifle works out this well. I have found that most any powder will shoot the Bergers well if you take the time to find the sweet charge.

Good luck and let us know what you get.

Scott
Only good Prairie Dog is a dead Prairie Dog.
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

My best 3 shot group with my rem 700 Vls was .096" H4895 27.5 grains 40 grn v-max 3762. Heres the last group i shot 7 shots
[img][img]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n59/ ... G_0033.jpg[/img][/img]
madracer

Post by madracer »

yeah thanks for that, i have been trying to get some berger projectiles for my rifle but im only aware of one dealer that stocks them in 204 cal and he's in the north island. they haven't replyed to my emails so i'll have to give them a call.

when it comes down to it tho theres nowhere i would shoot off a bench in the country, its all walk and shoot so half inch will set me up to 400yds and thats farther than i can shoot of a bipod so i can be happy with those groups, its just always fun to see what my rifle will do at the range.
Rodbolt

Post by Rodbolt »

Madracer,
I have two XR-100 in .204 and one in .223, the actions needs to be properly bedded to get consistant groups. This is true with most any stock but I think especially so with wooden stocks. My go to load is 30.1gr of BLC-2 and a 39 grain Sierra BlitzKing but there are other loads that work well too. Benchmark and H322 shoot well with a 32BK. I think the XR-100 has a lot to offer in .204, my barrels clean nicely, much better the my Savage LRPV.
madracer

Post by madracer »

5 shots @ 200 meters, 32 gr bk's 28gr adi 2206h powder win cases and primers

this is what ive ended up with, its more than small enough for the shooting i do and i only use cheap reloading gear (lee and rcbs) and i havnt managed to get into much case prepping yet, just lube, resize, clean the primer pockets and go again.

im only on my second load cycle for my cases so i havent trimmed them yet either.

cheers for the help, if i get some more gear and some better groups ill post them.