Decapping die?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Dizzy

Decapping die?

Post by Dizzy »

Hi all. Bought a "universal" decapping die yesterday to find out that it's not truly universal but 22 cal and up. Is there a 20 cal compatible decapping die made? Has anyone had their universal decapping die modified so the pin collet fits inside the 20 cal neck? Is this easily done or is the steel too hard or too thin for this to be accomplished in a lathe?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Diz: Chuck up the .224" stem spud and turn it down with emery cloth to the proper 20 cal diameter. Takes about 10 minutes.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Lee

Post by Vartarg »

Lee decapping die: $8.99. I managed to break the pin, sent it back and had a new one is a matter of days...no questions asked.....
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

thanks rick. will try that tonight. what grade or grit of emery cloth would you suggest? thanks.
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

Diz, I turned my rcbs decapper stem down in a drill press using a carborundum sharpening stone. You only have to remove a little material, about down to the bottom of the knurling. A mill file would work, too. Hope this helps. Don
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

thanks. i used some 100 grit sandpaper and turned it in my cordless drill. worked pretty well.
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Dizzy wrote:thanks. i used some 100 grit sandpaper and turned it in my cordless drill. worked pretty well.
Hey if I send you mine will you sand it down so it will work with my 17 cal? :twisted:
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

WrzWaldo-ok but only if you send me 2 of them to turn down for you. You should always have a backup!![/quote]