6-8 inch groups with VV N135 in LRPV

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Hawkeye Joe

6-8 inch groups with VV N135 in LRPV

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I was excited to get out and try VV N135 with the 40 grain Bergers. I had about 50 match preped rounds ready to go for Saturday morning. 3600 fps - 3900 fps. Not one load even showed a hint of accuracy at 100 yards.Just because the holes are close to a target does NOT mean that's was the aim point for that shot.They were going 4 inches left,right,up,and down :shock: I could have shot better groups with a shotgun loaded with rocks. :eek: .My first thought was one of you guys broke in, bent my barrel, and dented my crown because of the Postal shoot :P .Not the case. I also had 25 rounds of my favorite 26.6 grain Benchmark loads with me. They shot a nice little group in the center of the bottom left target. :twisted:. Not sure why,But I never had ANY luck with the 40 grain Bergers in my Savage's. I'm glad that wasn't the first load I shot when the gun was new. :eek:.Well, I guess I try N135 with with 35gr Berger's and 39gr Sierra's next. One thing I learned is when it doesn't shoot, DON'T blame the GUN!!!!!!! Be persistent and try a different load!!
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

It's amazing that a rifle capable of shooting such small groups would shoot those. It just goes to show that you have to find what your rifle likes. You have to experiment with everything.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I just laughed while shooting,Couldn't believe my eyes. I was going to toss the target but decieded it would make a good post :D. Now my curiosity has me wondering how well the N135 will push the 39BK's. The rifle loves the 39's with 25.3 grains of 10X
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

My first three Savage tubes shot 40's just like that. 35 Bergs ended up being the bullet of choice in those three.
My latest tube shoots the 40 Bergs well. As we discussed I'm having a bit of a problem with neck expansion on both Hornady and Nosler brass with the N-135 running them 3730fps :?
I have a feeling my lot of Rem brass would work but I'm to stubborn to give up on the expensive stuff yet.
Just got my powder (133-135-140) and 500 39bk's. Hoping the 39's work in my tube at a slightly higher charge weight.

By chance did you measure the neck diameters on some of your lightest loads? Just wondering if any of your loads failed to expand the necks.

Neck expansion issues aside it surely seems your rifle does not appreciate the 40 Bergs. Good luck with the 35's

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

:puke: :alright: Well, at least you know what it DOESN'T like, now you know how not to waste your time. :o With that rifle, you're gonna be tough to beat if you use what it really likes. I think we oughta make you shoot those bullets, you know, for a handicap, since that rifle shoots so well with the others :lol: .
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

glenn asher wrote::puke: :alright: :o With that rifle, you're gonna be tough to beat if you use what it really likes. I think we oughta make you shoot those bullets, you know, for a handicap, since that rifle shoots so well with the others :lol: .
Hmmm... 100 yards divided by 8 inches equals 12.5... Only if I get to shoot at 12.5 yards :lmao: . I could shoot my 39 grain 10X loads for the postal shoot. Ya know, I'm gonna do that!!!

joe191145
Just measured 3 different lots of cases. Norma and Winchester brass. 10X,Benchmark,and N135 powders. All measure .2315
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

Gmoney
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter .204 topped with a Leupy 4-12

Post by Gmoney »

That's be a heckuva #4 buckshot pattern from 40 yards.... :wink:
pathmaker

Post by pathmaker »

Greetings Hawkeye Joe looks like you have some aerodynamic jump dispersion opposition of Epicyclic swerve going on,or AJDOOES for short :D