Question on the 39 bk's and h4895

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Lyn

Question on the 39 bk's and h4895

Post by Lyn »

I am in the proccess of loading up some 39 bk's and was looking at sierra's load data. It looks like the max load is a little low compaired to what some of you guys are using. I noticed the same thing with berger's load data. Bergers max load was a lot less than hodgdon's. Do you guys know is it the same type of thing with the sierra load data? Thanks
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Lyn--I believe Hodgdon's load data is hotter than most of the other bullet/powder manufactuer's loads. I have also read on other boards that the Berger starting data for some calibers might be so low that it could be dangerous. I don't have any personal knowledge that this would be true, but I usually start my load testing about in the middle between the recommended starting load and the maximum load especially for calibers such as the .204 Ruger and my .17 Remingtons.

Loads for your rifle need to be worked up slowly and what works well in mine may be a total bust in your weapon. When I first started working up loads for the 39 gr. Sierra bullets, there wasn't any load data available, so I looked at the load data for the 40 gr. V-Max bullets on Hodgdon's Web site. Of course, the shank length on the V-Max and the 39 gr. Sierra are different and one has a boattail and one is a flat base bullet, but I felt I was safe using the 40 gr. V-Max powder charge weight data with the 39 gr. Sierra bullets. I guess you pays your money and you takes your chances, but be safe and start your loads well below the max.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

Thank's for the reply Silverfox, I will just start low and work my way up.
joghotrod

Post by joghotrod »

I am using 27.7 grains of H 4895 behind the 39's with no problems. I think the .204 likes the max and above to be accurate. This load was worked up by the guy that sold me the Rifle (The Ruger in my sig.) and it has been very accurate. Just be careful as you work your way up. It will shoot minute of prairie dog all day long. :)

Jimmy
.204 Ruger M77 Mark II Weaver 6-24
.222 Rem. BDL Varmint Leupold VX III 6.5-20
.204 Dtech AR 24 in. 1/9 twist SS Fluted Shilen Barrel with Compensator, Leatherwood 8.5-25 uni-dial Also 1/12 twist Shilen. NRA Life Member
6BR Dtech Upper, Shilen 1/8 twist.
Drew Jaeger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF II

Post by Drew Jaeger »

Lyn, the tack driving load used in my Remington 204 is 26.6grs of H4895 (AR2206H in Aust). Initially, I used Winchester WSR primers which cratered, now onto CCI BR4s - no problems.

This load shoots nice and flat killing foxes out past 300m!
Cheers

Drew

"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."