Forster Bump die ??

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Hawkeye Joe

Forster Bump die ??

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I have 50 rounds of Norma brass fireformed to my VLP's chamber. I sold the VLP to a friend and need to resize the brass so it will chamber in my LRPV.I tried to Full length size with my RCBS die and they still won't chamber. Do ya think the Forster BUMP die will do the trick. Thanks
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

jo191145

Re: Forster Bump die ??

Post by jo191145 »

The bump dies will set back the shoulders only. Your FL die should be doing that too.
Have you determined where they're sticking.
Make sure your FL die is set so the shell holder makes full contact with it. Easily done by screwing it in a 1/4 inch past ram stop. This usually results in excess head space but maybe your LRPV is tight.

I use a Stoney Point collimator in .30cal for measuring head space. Its not a correct numerical value but works just fine as an arbitrary datum point.

I've found the most discrepancies in the web area. This also requires a good FL sizing.

Years ago I stoned off the top of my shell holder to use a Redding trim die before my brass got to the specified length.
An unforeseen benefit was it turned all my neck sizing dies into bump dies :D

Hows that 6.5 shootin?
Another egg shoot next weekend. After its over I'll be ordering one. Maybe two if I'm lucky. A most excellent platform ;)

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

1st I would get a couple pieces of brass that fit that chamber and take out your calipers. Next take some measurements.........web.........base of shoulder and compare this to the brass your are tring to size to see what has to be moved.
On my full length rcbs sizing die I have to use .013 shim stock between the shell holder and the brass for a little shoulder bump, if the brass doses't close in your chamber easly. Like said 1st got to find what dimentions is not letting the brass in the chamber.
Got more ?? pm and I'll see if can help you more. I got 3 204 ...2 custom reamers and 1 factory.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

The base diameter is .003 smaller and the shoulder diameter is .005 smaller. All that brass must have pushed up the shoulder. My shell holder is just touching the die. Maybe I resized too much. I'm sure it's the shoulder area not letting me close the bolt.

JO
I'll post a 6.5/284 update in my original post in the general reloading section. Not much time to shoot with the new puppy.Although I did manage to escape to the range twice this weekend :D .
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Joe............If the shoulder is not letting the bolt close..........the the shoulder has to be compress a little more. Like I mentioned earlier, I had to use some shim stock betweet the case and the shell holder to bump the shoulder enough to close the bolt on my one Rem 700. Your dementions might be smaller but the shoulder might have be compresssed a littler more. My rcbs FL die wouldn't bump enoungh with out the help of the shim stock. I had to do the same for my 300 WSM or I had I real tight bolt close.
Later let me know what you find.
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Finally got my Forster bump die. I used it without the neck bushing and it worked like a charm. Even on the loaded rounds. Not sure why, But my full length die wouldn't bump it. Problem solved :D
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

You should NOT be bumping any brass that is LOADED!
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Mike
The good news is as long as you segregate your brass among rifles you can grease up that RCBS junkomatic and put it away for a very long time, perhaps forever 8)

You should determine the headspace on your two? different rifles and come up with a means of using one bump die for both. Personally seeing as they're both Savages I would just reset the headspace on one of them to match the other.
The other easy way out is shim washers that go under the locking collar of the die. I believe Sinclairs sells them. Quite possible they're available elsewhere.
I know from expierience the hardest way is to reset the headspace every time you use it. Tried that in 308 and its just a pain to get them as exact as I would like.

RayP Have you considered grinding .015 off the bottom of your die and resetting it.

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Better yet shave the .015 off the top of the shell holder. That will bump those shoulders back.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

skipper wrote:Better yet shave the .015 off the top of the shell holder. That will bump those shoulders back.
Not so sure about that Skipper. If he uses that shellholder for other cartridges it will change the headspace on them too (most likely)
Its been awhile since I stoned my shellholder but I know I did not remove .015. Them things is hard. The shellholder needs to remain the same exact thickness all around or it will exert sideways pressure if using it in contact with another die. Of course theres no quarentee the shellholder/die mate perfectly anyway unless you check and make it so.

Seeing as its just an RCBS die I'd remove the material from that. Being flat would not be a huge concern as long as the shellholder does not make contact. A grinding wheel would make quick work of it. A little radius touch up should be the only other requirement.
Or just buy a Redding.

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Shell holders are cheaper than dies and you can use your calipers/micrometer to check the thickness all the way around to be sure it's flat. Wet-Dry sandpaper will work better than a stone.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

With just the slightest bump, I was able to chamber in both rifles (LRPV and Predator). Seems like they're close enough to use the same setting for both. I did need to take .015 off the Bump die. I took it to work and used a tool post grinder. It's flat! I didn't like the way the RCBS Full length die oversized my cases(squeezed to much). I use a Redding Comp bushing die for the necks. Just never updated my full length :? . If you plan on buying a bump die,You DON'T need the bushing to just bump the shoulder back. Anybody want to buy a bushing :? :roll:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)