Best fur friendly factory ammo?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
ultralight
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Mark II Ultralight

Best fur friendly factory ammo?

Post by ultralight »

Looks like it will be awhile tell I can get my stuff together and start reloading :wall: , but It's time to go play! What is the best factory loaded ammo for saving fur? I can deal with small exits as I don't sell the fur. Game will be Yote's, fox, and lynx.

Thanks,
Jake
Last edited by ultralight on Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jo191145

Re: Best fur friendly factory ammo?

Post by jo191145 »

First, Welcome to the forum Jake.
I'm not a hunter. I'm wondering about the 45 Hornadys for your needs. Any factory load would probably work well on Yotes but might just tear the foxes and lynx to bits.
The 45's would most likely give exit wounds on all but probably give overall less damage.
As I said no firsthand knowledge of any of this. Others in the know will correct me if I'm totally off base.
Last edited by jo191145 on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Hi Jake. Welcome to the Forum!! :wink: Hope you enjoy our little corner of the web & hang out for a while. I would opt for the 45gr SP's also. But you can get facotry ammo from Cabelas with the 40gr Berger's too. They aren't real tough on coyotes. Fox on the other hand are a bit light & seem to get wrecked purdy good with the 204. Especially with factory ammo which is usually running close to max fps. And if hides aren't being kept then a big hole wouldn't matter anyhow. But I also see your point if you don't want to look at a critter ripped wide open. Some folks don't want to see that while it doesn't bother others.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
ultralight
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Mark II Ultralight

Post by ultralight »

Glen wrote:Hi Jake. Welcome to the Forum!! :wink: Hope you enjoy our little corner of the web & hang out for a while. I would opt for the 45gr SP's also. But you can get facotry ammo from Cabelas with the 40gr Berger's too. They aren't real tough on coyotes. Fox on the other hand are a bit light & seem to get wrecked purdy good with the 204. Especially with factory ammo which is usually running close to max fps. And if hides aren't being kept then a big hole wouldn't matter anyhow. But I also see your point if you don't want to look at a critter ripped wide open. Some folks don't want to see that while it doesn't bother others.
Thanks for the welcomes,
Actualy I will be keeping the hides on the foxes/lynx/yote's for myself and family so if it is a hole I can hide I wouldn't mind to much. Ofcourse one hole is better then two, but I agree about the 45 sp's and will give'em a try. Was also wondering about the 34 gr. HP's from winchester, If they might behave like the berger's?????
Forgot to mention I'll be using a ruger ultralight rifle with a 20" tube, hopefully that will slow those bullets down to my advantage.... any thoughts...?

Thanks,
Jake
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Heres a thought way outside the box :doh:
I wonder what would happen if someone were to fill those huge hollowpoints with epoxy on Midways dogtown bullets. :lol:

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I understand. My limited experience with the Win 34's was that they didn't shoot well from my Rem700 & the extreme spread was around 125fps. They didn't shoot real good for me,, 1 1/4" at 100yds. I did shoot a couple groundhogs under 125yds with em & they seemed rather hard on them fur wise. Darn near took a whole front leg off of one. HTH
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
UTcaller
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Post by UTcaller »

I have been using the Factory 45 grain SP exclusively this year.Just to see how the are on coyotes.I have had excellent results with the 35 grain bergers,but thought i would give the 45's a try this season.I have only shot a few coyoytes so far this season with the 45's but they have done an excellent job so far.All coyotes have been bang/flops(20-200 yrds) and very little damage to the fur about like the 35 bergers and some cases less.I also bought me a box of 45 grain bullets to work up a load with.But so far the factory loads have worked great.

Good Hunting Chad
Arizona Hunter

Post by Arizona Hunter »

The new Hornady 45 Spire point is very fur friendly and so is the Berger 40.