Norma brass

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Phasor
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix

Norma brass

Post by Phasor »

Hello,

I was wondering if I could get someone to mic a 204 Ruger unfired case in Norma brass. I have been having a problem with R-P and Win brass being undersized right in front of the web. I have been getting .370 on Win brass and .371 on R-P. I was curious if Norma brass was closer to spec.

Thanks, Phasor
jo191145

Re: Norma brass

Post by jo191145 »

unfired Norma .373
unfired Winchester .374
unfired Hornady .371
Fired Hornady .376

Not sure what kind of problem your having but it should disappear after firing once and necksizing. If your FL sizing your die will be the deciding factor.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Phasor

Post by Phasor »

Thanks for the info....I have a Cooper Phoenix in 204 Ruger and after prepping new brass and firing the brass expands .0075 right in front of the web. But it does most of this on one side. In other words the expansion is not even around the case. I have spoken to Cooper and they sent UPS out today to pick up the rifle. They told me that they will rebarrel it, which is very good customer service. However, I am hoping when I get the rifel back that I don't have the same problem. Hoping that they have a different reamer than the one used on the current barrel. So, that is why I am asking about Norma. I am thinking that SAAMI spec is .375 for the chamber and I'm sure that is minimum spec. Fired brass in the current barrel would mike .3775 after firing. I am thinking that that is a bit excessive. I will call Cooper tomorrow and make sure that they check the brass after test firing the new barrel. I discovered this problem because fired brass would not fully go into my Wilson seater die and I was having to full length size after every firing. Some have recommended opening up the seater die, but I don't have this problem in other calibers that I use Wilson seater dies for.

I guess I will find out when I get the rifle back. Worse case scenario is I will have my smith recut the chamber with a min spec reamer.

Anyway, I was hoping that Norma would be closer to min spec.

Thanks again, Phasor
Phasor

Post by Phasor »

Forgot to mention that even thought the chamber is loose...the barrel was an excellent shooter as I was getting some great groups with several different powders and bullet weights. The loose chamber just bugs me to no end....but Cooper is very willing to keep their customers happy and I have no complaints with their customer service.

Phasor
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

A Little OT, but.....

Post by Vartarg »

I wish you better luck than I've had with my M21 in .221 FB, which I sent back to Cooper the first of May to be rebarreled to 6X45. Many emails and calls later, I'm still waiting and hoping. Since your problem is a customer service issue, presumably you'll get faster turn-around. The initial promise was six weeks, but we're past the six months point and counting now. Let us hear how it goes for you, and I wish you the best.....George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Phasor

It does sound as if your chamber was a bit loose. I checked the two Savage 204 barrels I have that are not mounted in an action. Came up with .376 and .377. Never really cared much about it one way or the other.

Its not uncommon for brass to bulge on one side with just one firing. Its somewhat disconcerting but it usually evens out with subsequent firings.

Never used Wilson dies but from browsing this forum and others I do know they had a bit of trouble with 204 dies not fitting once fired brass. Supposedly they were going to loosen them up a bit as they cut them with FL sizing specs. Or something along those lines :duh:
Quite a few people sent thiers back with fired cases to be recut for no charge.
Good Luck.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Phasor

Post by Phasor »

Vartarg....sorry to hear about your problem and wait with Cooper. I hope that the turn around time is faster than 6 months for me....

I guess that I could open up the seater die...and as I have looked at some other posts I see that the bulge is not unique to me...It's just that I have seveal other rifles and do not have this problem and I am neck sizing and shooting some stiff loads...I guess that maybe I am getting a little too picky...We'll see how Cooper handles it.

Thanks for the info,

Phasor