Am I not doing enough?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
darchell
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varmint VLP

Am I not doing enough?

Post by darchell »

I am finding I am not doing what I need to when I reload. I have always reloaded to save money, only a few years now, and not for the purpose of gaining extreme accuracy. With hunting rifles 1" - 1.5" groups suffice. Little tall and fuzzy's don't care if you hit them one inch to he right or left. They drop just as fast. With that said, the new rifle, Savage VLP 204, I am looking to get the most accuracy out of it I can. I know I will learn a lot with this next bit of info but here it goes. Tear it apart as you may, this is how I will learn. This is my typical reloading practice, starting with new brass..

Full length size them
Trim them
Chamfer and debur
Check the primer pocket for burs then prime
Add powder and seat bullet.
I do at least use a comparator to measure from the ogive on each.

What steps am I missing?
What could I do better.
Rambler

Re: Am I not doing enough?

Post by Rambler »

First off you didn't say what brass you are using. give all detail , but I would segust deberring primer hole.
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

I'm sorry!! first off what case are you using? now what powder? what bullet? tell us details and I'm sure someone will help..
darchell

Post by darchell »

I am using Benchmark powder cci primers and berger bullets. My question is not so much on am I using the correct componets but am I following hte proper procedure with those componets. the only step I forgot was that I brush the primer hole out also. My question is should I be doing other steps, for instance, should I be neck turning? Should I just neck size and not full length size? Are there any other steps I have not mentioned that I should be doing?
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

It seems to me your doing fine with brass prep.
The only step your not doing is primer pocket depth uniforming. Is it essential. I highly doubt it. It won't hurt.
I do it because its easier to clean the primer pocket with a uniformer than a brush.

I for one do not check for concentricity on any of my ammo. Never bought a guage.
Some folks find the 204 picky to reload for. I do.
Savages can be fussy too. When you finally find what makes them happy they're probably some of the most accurate rifles going.

35 Bergs have been the favorite of 5 barrels on my Sav VLP. So far so good. 2.265 seating depth. Never found a better spot.
Benchmark is good. Sometimes burns a little clean for a new tube. If you are seeing copper in the muzzle its burning to clean at this point in the barrels life. I've never seen a Sav barrel shoot well with bright copper streaks near the muzzle.

29.1-29.3 gns of Win 748 with a 35 Berg has worked very well in all five barrels. The extra soot helps alleviate copper fouling.

I've neck sized with a shoulder bump die for years with the 204. Long before they made shoulder bump dies for the 204.
I've switched to FL sizing with a bushing die. No expander ball!!!! I got rid of the expander not to help runout but because it was removing carbon fro some cases and not others. This causes varying seating pressures. Bad thing.
The FL die should be set to chamber with slight resistance. Not exactly sure why but I've seen a marked improvement FL over neck sizing. Don't be afraid to try it.
Hope this helps

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

In case I over looked, I would check primer pocket umiformity. I would also consider doing a QA check on runout, if for no other reason it (seems to me) it confirms your equipment and technique is operating correctly.

Components; I have a CZ-527 American that doesn't particularly car for Hornady 40 grains unless you really slow them down.

Firearm: Make sure everything is tighten sufficently; action screws, mounts, bases, rings etc...

HTH
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

darchell: What dies are you using. This detail is quite important for this caliber. Some of the dies out there (RCBS) produce excessive "run-out" which will be a major cause for inaccuracy. A lot of guys have had good success with the Redding competition series, and the wilsons.
I've also used the Hornady dies and they have been okay as well but I now prefer the "redding". Whichever one you go with, be sure to check your "runout".
Savage Vaporizer
darchell

Post by darchell »

Thanks you for the info. I am using RCBS dies. I will start at the range hopefully at the end of the week. Here in the north east we just got spanked with about a foot of snow. no range at least until Friday. See what happens. Once again thanks for the input.
Chief
.204 Ruger Guns: savage mako model 12

Post by Chief »

Here are my loads for my savage model 12 mako.

35gr Bergers
26gr benchmark
CCI 450 mag primers
Winchester or Nosler brass
OAL: 2.390
OAL is .015 off of the lands.

32gr Sierra
26.5gr Benchmark
CCI 450 mag primers
Winchester or Nosler Brass
OAL: 2.405
OAL is .015 off of the lands

Chief
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I was going to ask about the dies as well... I use Forster Benchrest FL length dies, and since one of my .204s is an AR, it's a necessity.

I have a neck sizing die for my bolt action Savage, but haven't found a serious benefit over the FL die.

The Forster produces a consistent round in all respects that I can determine and the ammunition produces results to my expectations..
AR
Factory/Factory
tckurt
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Encore

Post by tckurt »

I am not a 204 pro but just getting a good start with it.
I use hornady dies.
I have found at the range testing loads side by side with 223,204
the 204 is a picky little thing and the 223 shot most all loads great.
both guns are T/C Encore's with 26" barrels.

One thing you did not say and can be added to the help others posted is.
When you resize you put the press ram all the way full stroke the then
grab another and resize?Don"t
Run it all the way in then bring the case back out a bit ,not out over expander ,between expander and all the way in you will be able to spin the case.turn 1/4 the run up all the way in then do it again.
I spin mine 3 times before I bring it out past the expander ball and start on a new case.
I also do this for bullet seating:I spin it 3 times ,seat the bullet a bit
then turn,seat a bit more and turn,then seat a bit more=it is seated.
the I continue 3 more times with the bullet seated.For a total of 6 =1/4 turns for seating the bullet.I have had very good luck with this and consistant rounds with low runout.
If you do not do this=give it a try I think it will help you.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

tckurt,

For the accurate stuff that is exactly how I seat the bullet and you're right about it decreasing TIR. I've never considered it when sizing, I'll have to check that out.

Thx,
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Now, who says "Old 'Turtles' Can't Learn New Tricks"?? :lol:
I spin mine 3 times before I bring it out past the expander ball and start on a new case.
I also do this for bullet seating:I spin it 3 times ,seat the bullet a bit
then turn,seat a bit more and turn,then seat a bit more=it is seated.
the I continue 3 more times with the bullet seated.For a total of 6 =1/4 turns for seating the bullet.I have had very good luck with this and consistant rounds with low runout.
First I've heard of it, but it sure can't hurt to try.... Thanks :wink:
AR
Factory/Factory
tckurt

Post by tckurt »

[quote="OldTurtle"]Now, who says "Old 'Turtles' Can't Learn New Tricks"?? :lol: [quote]

And ya thought you would get by and not learn anything today :doh:
tckurt

Post by tckurt »

I found the size trick on my own one day.
I was working on some 243 new brass with a
Lee collet die to get the necks round.
I noticed the case kinda drug up in the die a bit,
I spun it a little and run it back up and it still drug some
but alot less so I did it again and no contact as if it got straight.
I am not sayin it is wrote in stone but it works for me :shotgun: