First Day at the Range

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
darchell
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varmint VLP

First Day at the Range

Post by darchell »

Well today was the first day at the range with the new rifle. I was a little apprehensive as this was the first Savage I ever owned, Savage VLP 204 Ruger. I have always owned Remington Rifles and switched this time due to all the talk about their accuracy. Well I was not let down, at least by my standards. This rifle is stock. I simply took it out of the box, cleaned it, scoped it, 6.5 X 16.5 Nikon Monarch, and shot it. I loaded 35 Grain Berger bullets over charges of Benchmark Powder. I loaded from 25.0 – 25.6 grains of powder in .2 grain increments. The bullets were set .020 off the lands for an OAL, to the Ogive, of 2.051. The weak point, as I was told on this forum would be, the CCI 400 Primers. They did start showing signs of pressure. As a side note I would post target pictures as soon as I figure out how. Also all groups were measured with a caliber center to center. Now, on to the Range
Charge Group (100 Yards)
25.0 Grain .463
25.2 Grains .358
25.4 Grains .836
25.6 Grains .295 :wink:
25.8 Grains .494 (three were only .275 then I got a little over excited and choked on the 4th) :wall:
26.0 Grains .395
26.2 Grains .810
26.4 Grains .532
26.6 Grains .534

Here is one of the targets:

To me the above groups are phenomenal. I have never shot this good. Or should I say I never had a rifle that could. I think the rifle and ammo had more to do with it then me. As I am sure you all know this caliber is very easy to shoot. I can’t wait to make more loads and go back. Look out Ground Hogs.
Last edited by darchell on Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Re: First Day at the Range

Post by Jim White »

Looks good. When you get a chance, chronograph them and check the velocity. If you're happy, check out a online ballistic table and you're set.

Good luck
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

It looks to me like you did your homework when choosing a Rifle,Bullets and Powder. And go figure, you didn't have to tinker to get it to shoot :shhh: . Job well done! Just wait till you get a few hundred through her and them groups tighten up. I'm still kicking myself for selling my VLP.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

You've just validated what I've experienced... My most accurate loads for my .204s tend to be between .4 and .7 grain under the max. loads listed, depending on the powder, etc...

I'm just getting ready to start working with the 35gr Bergers and hopefully they will shoot as well as my 39gr Sierra BK loads..

Glad you are happy with the Savage. A few of my friends were calling my 16FSS an "ugly duckling" when compared to their CZs, Remingtons, etc., until we went to the range when the .204s were first on the market.... :o
AR
Factory/Factory
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

OldTurtle wrote:A few of my friends were calling my 16FSS an "ugly duckling" when compared to their CZs, Remingtons, etc., until we went to the range when the .204s were first on the market.... :o
Always remember, you can't judge a book by its cover.... :D
darchell
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varmint VLP

Post by darchell »

Thank you all for your comments. I am going to try to hone in a little closer to the best load. I also played with the seating depth a little, actually a lot and want to see what they do. I loaded them to the longest I could and still have them function in he magazine. Now I will have to see how the rifle likes my idea. I will be going form .020 off the lands to about .045 off. After I get it all in I will start chronagraghing the loads. I don't have enough time when I get a chance to go to the range to chronagragh them all.