Reloading Equipment

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Joker
.204 Ruger Guns: Browning A-Bolt

Reloading Equipment

Post by Joker »

Fairly new to reloading and all i have done to my brass is debur/uniform flasholes and uniform primer pockets. Which neck wall thickness gage and neck turn tool should i get? Or should i get something that measures everthing ie. runout, neckwall thickness, and concentricity? Money is tight so the best value for the dollar would be the best. Thanks.
Joker

Re: Reloading Equipment

Post by Joker »

Going to purchase a neck turning tool and micrometer to measure neck wall thickness. Any suggestions on brand for 17 and 20 cal. Thanks.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I'm curious as to why you feel the need for a neck turning tool... I'm not challenging the want.... just curious....

I've loaded a lot of .204s and use Forster Benchrest dies, and to my knowledge, never had a problem that required turning the necks...

I know there is a reason for using them, I just don't understand it unless you are really into the high dollar benchrest shooting... :chin:
AR
Factory/Factory
Inrut24/7
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500

Post by Inrut24/7 »

I assume this if for a factory chamber in a factory rifle, The minimal accuracy gains from neck turning probally wont be worth the time and money spent on a neck turner, put that money into bullets, powder and primers and have some fun.
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

Joker....People neck turn their cases for the same reason that they sort them by weight and use a bullet comparator, concentricity gauge and other tools. Aside from all the rifle prepping we do, WHY do we do it? I dont shoot in benchrest matches, but I like tiny groups. Some fliers result from a lack of performing the above operations. Does it matter? Maybe not when your target is a coyote or a woodchuck,rockchuck, badger or groundhog. But if you want to hit tiny targets far out there you need all the accuracy you can get. We are all shooters... from the person who just likes to blast to the perfectionist who takes great care in perfecting his ammo as well as his shooting iron. A Forster case trimmer can be purchased for $55 add a neck turning attachment for $32 and a pilot for about $8 and for $94.00 total, you have a tool that you can trim brass as well as turn their necks if you want to. If thats what you want to do ...go for it. :roll:
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
Joker

Post by Joker »

I am not a competition shooter. I got the 204 last year and got addicted to the accuracy. Recently got my second 204. I just want to make the most accurate loads i can. I have only been reloading for a year and read on here everyday. Read that numerous shooter on here do more that i do for accuracy. I guess i want to do all i can to ensure my accuracy and i guess you could say that i want perfection and tiny groups. I just wasn't sure how important it was. Thanks for all the info.
Aim4gold
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage

Post by Aim4gold »

+1 on the forester neck trimmer/turner
If you want to check neck thickness and neck run out - I use the RCBS Case Master. One tool does it all. You can buy better "individual" tools but the RCBS unit is all in one for less $$