Do you use a different load for different distances?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Do you use a different load for different distances?

Post by 204cat »

Some benchrest shooters use a different load for different distances. Do you use a different load for different distances? I am comfortable with anything under 440 yards. I use only one load for all distances with the 32 grain bullets be it sbk or vmax loaded down. Did a lot of reading before the rifle purchase. Only could get a hold of the cci 400 primers.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Do you use a different load for different distances?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I use two bullet weights, the 32 and 39/40 for different conditions. For most of my ground squirrel shooting, the 32gr is fine, but in the afternoon when the wind is up, you can't beat the performance of the higher BC 39 or 40 grain bullets. One load for each bullet weight.

The heavier bullet also performs much better at extended ranges too, so if most shooting is past 300 yards, then the 39 or 40 grain slugs get the nod. I have come-ups for both weights, so it's just acquire target, range, dial and shoot no matter what the weight.

Come-up chart for both the 32 & 39 SBK on my Sako 204R:

Remember that the BR guys are shooting exact fixed distances with no range estimating involved, hence specific load for each distance, weather it be 100 or 200 yard BR shooting.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

RIO--Not trying to steal this thread, but did it take you a long time to find loads for those two different weight bullets that would hit in approximately the same place horizontally?

I have lucked out on a couple of my different bullets to where they will be within 1/4" or less of hitting the same place horizontally at 100 yards, but there's more difference in vertical impact position. If I can keep track of those differences, it works pretty good.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Friend Silverfox: Actually, I seem to have lucked out in that department, in that both my 32 and 39 grain loads using 10X pretty much hit the same POI in all three of my 204's. Below is a field target shot in '06 under field conditions with my Sako 75V, with a cursed 10 mph full value wind blowing (as usual), and you can see that they both hit about the same horizontal point. You can also see that at 100 yards at least, wind deflection for both bullets is about the same. I'm certain that would and does change at extended range, but it illustrates that two bullet weights can be made to shoot to the same POI. The flyer on the right (39gr) was caused by a sudden gust of wind I did not compensate for.

This target was shot during a ground squirrel safari in an alfalfa field, NOT under controlled conditions or from a concrete bench at a range. No BR records set here, just MOS (Minute of Skippy!)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Guy M

Post by Guy M »

I like that Minute of Skippy measurement. Works just fine... :D
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

RIO....Do you zero your Sako's (rifle) dials @ 100yds. (Elevation) and then use your come up table? Do you recommend using Leupold Custom Bullet Drop Compensation Dials? What are your thoughts on zeroing at 300yds (with the 39BK) and use the "Point Blank Range" system? It should work thru 400 yards perhaps 450yds on prairie dogs and Skippy's to 375yds? Using a come up table only for targets of opportunity @ 375-450yds? Im not for "Hail Mary" shots on small targets in excess of 450yds. using light bullets under windy conditions. :idea: But using a heavier bullet in a fast twist barrel (.20-250) I could be converted.
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Guy.........It's funny you picked that up on RIO's.....minute of skippy. Like minds to think a like! When we hunted Chugwater, Wyoming for P.dogs, we get dialed in at set range of a dog mound. If we missed on the 1st shot, it was usually a windage issue. So the adjustment would be 1/2 dog left or right or whole dog left or right. Spotting was just as much fun as shooting. We hit close enough to some P.dogs to through dirt in them and watch shake it off. Not so lucky on the next shot.
Thanks guys for the write ups and stories (pics) and helpful things.
Your #1 in my book. :wink:
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I don't like a 300 yard zero. way easier to hold over the long ones instead of holding under the close ones. Exception being my 6mm-06 which doesn't get used under 300 yards.

Ray P,

I drove through Chugwater last week-end and the pdogs are out and waiting to play the game. Windy as usual. Babies are out in the Northern Colorado towns.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

giterdone wrote:RIO....Do you zero your Sako's (rifle) dials @ 100yds. (Elevation) and then use your come up table? Do you recommend using Leupold Custom Bullet Drop Compensation Dials? What are your thoughts on zeroing at 300yds (with the 39BK) and use the "Point Blank Range" system? It should work thru 400 yards perhaps 450yds on prairie dogs and Skippy's to 375yds? Using a come up table only for targets of opportunity @ 375-450yds? Im not for "Hail Mary" shots on small targets in excess of 450yds. using light bullets under windy conditions. :idea: But using a heavier bullet in a fast twist barrel (.20-250) I could be converted.
git: Yes, zero at 100, then dial using come-up's. The custom dials are okay, but then you're limited to using the one load the dial was calibrated for. I don't use the Point Blank Range System unless I'm big game hunting. By dialing, I can have a first shot hit probability almost every time out to ranges that far exceed the operating parameters of the PB System, and also have the added ability to hit much smaller targets in the process. A ground squirrel's head sticking out of alfalfa at even 350 yards is a challenging target, about the size of a small egg. Remember, the wind will be there too.

I think your system would work fine (39SBK zero @ 300 then use come-up's), but I just prefer to use one system for all ranges to keep it simple.

In the end, it's use whatever system works for you and you're comfortable using. Reticles and the PB system are fine, they just can't deliver the pinpoint type of accuracy needed for very small targets at extended ranges especially when we're talking head shots peeking out of a mound hole. At least for me.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Rick,

Just curious, why use 2 different bullets for the same gun? The reason I ask is I'm in a similiar dilema with the 35 Berger and the 39 SBK. It just seems the 39 SBK does everything the 35 Berger will do over a longer range.

Jim
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

I had hoped for the use my tried an true load using Hornady 32 Grain V-max for shots out to 300 yards and then using my recently developed Sierra 39 Grain SBK load for longer shots or when the wind picks up later in the day as it usually does where I shoot. However I found the POI moved 1.5 MOA to the left when I used the Sierra bullets so I scrapped that idea. (Or re zero in the field if I do change loads.)

Perhaps using only bullets of one brand would help but for now I will use up all my Hornady bullets, then switch to my Sierra and use them up. Once I use up my current stock of components my plan is to put on my new Shilen barrel and begin load development with hopes of find a couple of loads that have the same POI and use them as conditions dictate.

With the way reloading supplies are going now I may be forced to just use what bullets are available locally rather than what my gun prefers. Nosler and Hornday bullets are the ones that seem easiest to get while Sierra 39 grain SBK's have been impossible for me to find the last couple months.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

One load, the most accurate. I never got on to mil-dots, range finders or technological complications, just hold with a guess and a squeeze - watch the splat 90% of the time out to 250 yards or so.

If the ranges are too long for the little .204 Ruger (not bloody likely where I splat the rats), I use another rifle and cartridge entirely; .223 Remington, .22-250, 6mm, .257 A.I., or 6.5-284. Yet the .204 Ruger is the favorite, hands down best, most fun totally awesome rat disassembly tool ever made by man! Did I mention I really like the .204 Ruger!
rayfromtx

Post by rayfromtx »

Me too!
I'm leaving on Saturday for a week of doggin' in CO. We'll be taking them out to 450 yards or so with the same load. We have 1350 loaded and will take components for another 700 to load in the evenings if need be. For longer than that I would use my 243AI. I could also take my 6ppc with a few hundred rounds but the problem is that those rifles won't let me spot my own shots, so why bother toting them along. I don't think there is anything better than a 20 in some flavor. In the 204r, one load does the deal. There isn't a reason I can see to use a separate load. I use berger 40s and sierra 39s with 25 grains of 133. Same load and seating depth with both bullets works in both my rifles and the ammo interchanges as both are identical with my reamer.