resize brass from other gun

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

resize brass from other gun

Post by cshooter »

I got about 300 rounds of neck sized only brass that I pulled the bullets out of and was thinking of reloading them for another rifle. Seeing how primers are so hard to get, is there any way I can resize the cases without seting off the primers or ruining them ?
Qtiphky
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Re: resize brass from other gun

Post by Qtiphky »

Yes, remove the dacapping pin from your full length sizind die and you should be fine. This will resize the brass and not punch out the primers.
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

Qtiphky wrote:Yes, remove the dacapping pin from your full length sizind die and you should be fine. This will resize the brass and not punch out the primers.
I just did this myself. I used a Lee FL sizing die and all I had to do was to back off the decapping pin enough so it wouldn't punch the primer out and then adjusted the die so it moved the shoulders just enough to allow the brass to chamber in my new rifle. Saved about 200 primers. Dave
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

Post by cshooter »

What type of case lube should I use ? So not to get any on the primer ?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

If you just pulled the bullets, those cases are ready to load now. No lube, no sizing, just pour powder in them and seat bullets. Once they're sized but not fired, no need to dink around further with the cases, just reload them and go shoot them, as the neck has not been expanded on firing, so the spring-back of the case mouth will easily hold a new bullet.

Prior to doing that though, check to make sure those cases fit in your chamber. I've got three 204's, and cases must be segregated for each rifle, as they won't chamber in each other, only the rifles they were fired in. Same with my four 223's......keep your cases separate for each rifle you own unless they were chambered with the same reamer (ain't gonna happen with factory barrels).

If you try these pulled bullet cases that were neck sized only for another rifle and they don't fit in yours, then remove the decapping pin as has been noted and F/L size them to ensure a proper chamber fit, but even after doing this, check a couple of cases in your rifles chamber to ensure they actually will chamber. If you use Imperial Sizing Wax for this, you won't contaminate the primer, as very little is required, and it wipes right off with a rag or paper towel. Don't forget to lube the inside of the neck too if you have to resort to F/L sizing to get those cases to fit.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

WT

Post by WT »

cshooter wrote:What type of case lube should I use ? So not to get any on the primer ?

Use Hornady "One-Shot". It won't affect the primers or powder. 8)
Wayne,

"Aim low boys, they're ridin' Shetlands"
NRA Life Member 30+ Years