Ramshot Tac and 26 gr. gernades.....need a load

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
heitmann13
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Encore Pro Hunter .204

Ramshot Tac and 26 gr. gernades.....need a load

Post by heitmann13 »

Could someone tell me what is a good load to start with? I don't have a manual that has the 26 gr. varmit gernades in them, therefore I'm not quite sure where to start. Any help would be great. Thanks
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Re: Ramshot Tac and 26 gr. gernades.....need a load

Post by BabaOriley »

I've seen many here not want to give actual numbers on charge weights, because each rifle is different, and the wrong advice can kill someone in this hobby. I'm going to give you numbers, but understand, I take no responsibility in what you do with them. It's your responsibility to research more thoroughly. I hope some others in here review my advice and correct me if I'm wrong, or add their own advice. I am not an expert.

What twist is your barrel? Any faster than a 12 twist might mean you can run these as fast as they could go without them flying apart.

Do you have a chronograph? Will be good to see how fast they go in working up a load for you rifle.

Someone will have to review my advice here, but I'm using 27.8gr TAC with a 34gr Dogtown bullet. It seems you should be able to use more. In my testing, I shot 10 rounds at 30.4 grains, with no pressure signs. This was in an AR-15. I think pressures may be higher in a bolt action, so work up slow. I suspect loaded at 2.244 COAL or shorter for that 26gr, you may run into the max the case will hold right around 31 grains. I think I've read a few places the VG should be kept under 4000fps, but you'll just have to chrono it and see if the bullets fly apart or not.

I guess I'd recommend loading up 2 or 3 each of 29.0, 29.5, 30.0, and 30.5 grains. The first thing to watch out for is signs of high pressure such as primers being cratered or flattened. Chrono each shot recording how fast it goes, and verify the bullet reaches the target. It seems like it should be easy to get these up to or over 4200fps, but maybe the bullet will blow apart before it reaches the target.

I kind of like that the VG is lead free, but I've yet to read about it having any accuracy potential, so I've stayed away. Post results when you get to testing...
Last edited by BabaOriley on Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Ramshot Tac data for a 32gn pill. 26.0gn start 28.5gn max. Rough guess, start at 27.0gns and work up.

Tac might be a tad slow of a burn rate for the VG's. Ramshot X-terminator would be a better choice if you have it.
I would suggest magnum primers for that combo for consistent ignition.

How high you care to go in charge weight is up to you. Both Ramshot and Tac do not appear to be spikey powders in my gun. So far in limited testing I've found the best accuracy right around Book max with both powders. My bet would be going over 29.5gns of Tac would see no benefit in accuracy. Then again I'm not using magnum primers ;)

The VG's can be quite accurate. Due to thier light weight and ensuing low BC accuracy will fall off rapidly with longer yardage. So unless your just looking for 100yd groups you should be choosing a powder in the correct burn rate which will allow you to really boost velocity with inherent accuracy.

The VG's will not fall apart at speed. Clocked a few as high as 4600+ and no blow ups.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
heitmann13

Post by heitmann13 »

I'm using a T/C Encore Prohunter barrel and I'm not quite sure of the twist rate.

Since I didn't get any responses right away I went with Varget at 28.6 gr. I'll try to get some Tac loaded up in the next couple of days and go from there. I appreciate the advice and the numbers to start at.

I'll do some shooting and get back to how things went. I'm going PD shooting over the 4th so i'm going to try and reload 1,000-1,500 for my dad and I, he's shooting a ruger M77.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

H-4198 and RL-7 would also be better suited for those "light weights". Good accurate "screamers" out to about 250 yds. With a BC as comparable to a styrofoam cup, they are not much good past that.
Savage Vaporizer
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Gube wrote:H-4198 and RL-7 would also be better suited for those "light weights". Good accurate "screamers" out to about 250 yds. With a BC as comparable to a styrofoam cup, they are not much good past that.

:lol: :lol: Styrofoam cup. Now thats funny.

I was going to compare thier BC to shooting feathers out of your gun but to be honest I only shot them at 100yds. Except for some Audettes at 200 for load development. I like the styrofoam cup better.
Seriously though. They can be accurate and fast. 250yds does sound about right though. Let us know how you and Dad make out.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Lots of good info but be very careful. There really isn't much here for max loads. .2grs increases should be used as well as a chronograph. Please be careful.

A bad range report always beats a good hospital report. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Barnes does not recommend TAC with the 26 Grain Varmint Grenade in the .204 Ruger (probably because they can't try every combination).

Ramshot recommends 26.0 grains with the 36 gn. Sierra BK as a starting load, and 28.5 grains as maximum.

I would start with the 26.0 load and work up (I'm also going to work up a TAC load, it's very consistent in the .223 Remington). The Barnes V.G. will take about anything you toss at it, but I found best accuracy at around 4,100 fps (actually 4,085 fps in my rifle). I use Remington 7-1/2 BR primers or Federal 205M they shoot about the same.

If TAC doesn't do it for you try Reloader 10x with around 25.2 - 25.5 grains.

The Varmint Grenade likes plenty of jump - seat them to Barnes 2.260" AOL recommendation to begin with.

If you touch a ground squirrel with the little VG - it will do weird things. I hit one in the head at 150 yards and something blew off it's left rear leg! Maybe a piece of skull or internal hydraulic pressure? You will know when they hit.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I ran into a similar problem last week with the 35gr Bergers using Ramshot X-Terminator and not having any published load data....

I took the min. and max loads published by Ramshot, for the 32 & 40gr V.Max and split the difference, then I dropped down .7 gr as a starting point (26.0gr) and increased by 0.1gr increments for six loads...

Fortunately, my most accurate load was 26.1gr and I had no pressure signs until I got to the last two loads and even then, only the primers were starting to flatten with no cratering, or flattening of the case head...
AR
Factory/Factory
heitmann13

Post by heitmann13 »

Just thought that I would update my post..... Went to the range today and shot the VG w/ varget/28.4 gr. and it worked well, no signs of pressure and all my shots I wold cover with a dime so i'm happy about that. I'm eventually going to get to the TAC but not yet.

I'll have to get my hands on some of those other powders and start trying something else. Thanks again.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Well, I made it out to the rat fields yesterday and went through about 100 rds. I was actually quite impressed with the varmint grenades. I seemed to be connecting with a bit more regularity with the vg's as compared to the 39 bk's out to just over 250 yds. "Felt recoil" was noticeably less with the vg's and carnage was pretty much on par with the 39 bk's. Along with the grass maggots, I did manage to pick off two magpies and a crow (with the vg's) that came in to feed on the vaporized rat pieces. :twisted:
Sorry no pics this time. I usually leave that up to my darling wife with her fancy camera. Hopefully she'll come out next time.
Savage Vaporizer