Working up a load

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Malazan
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper .204

Working up a load

Post by Malazan »

When you start to develop a load, how many grains do you increase each time?

i.e. If your starting minimum is 25grs. and your ending is 27.1grs.

How do you proceed? .1, .2, .3...... grs each time you start another test batch?

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: Working up a load

Post by Joe O »

I work up depending on the size of the case Vs caliber.Smaller increases in smaller cases as a general rule. .2 to .3 gr increases works for me as I approach max load data and beyond.Large cases I have stepped up .5 grain.I'm looking for accuracy not necessarily velocity.Many times a hot load,without excessive pressure signs,will not be the most accurate,so I back it down to where it is>
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

For the 204, I started .4 gr over minimum load, and go up .2 grain from there. My highest test load will be .2 under maximum. Not a lot of lee-way on the 204, After finding the "sweet spot", I start resting loads in +, or - .1 gr. increments. All loads are tested with 5 shots. at 100 yards.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I drop down one full grain below the published max load and work up in .1gr increments... Generally my "sweet spot" will be .4-.7gr below the max listed..... I'll build ten rounds of each load, shoot five and if I have a really good group, shoot the second five to verify the first....All rounds seated at the max published length...

If a really good group does not exist, I'll take the best group and start working on seating depth with the remaining rounds, for the next session...
AR
Factory/Factory
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

And only change one variable at a time.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

I work up from min load .5 grains at a time loading at least 3 to five test rounds. when I test and find the load that shoots the best, I work from that load in .1 grain increments to find the sweet spot! Pay close attention when test firing to brass condition when close to max. Also if bolt is hard to open on a bolt action that is a sighn that presure was too hi. I generally have found that max loads are not the most accurate in my guns? I load for accuracy 1st, Velocity is 2nd
Malazan

Post by Malazan »

When working up a load, do you get the grain and bullet combo right first? And then worry about seating depth?

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Yes. Find the load combination the rifle seems to like best, then start to tweak the seating depth both ways in increments to see how your groups respond. They'll start to shrink, then enlarge again as you proceed. The 'sweet spot' is in there somewhere, you just need to figure out where it is.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Malazan wrote:When working up a load, do you get the grain and bullet combo right first? And then worry about seating depth?
That is what I do. Take your tightest group, and if you are not happy, start playing with seating depth. I do try taking 2 or 3 of my best groups and play with seat depth on all of them. You may find that one or your worst groups really does shoot better with seating depth change.

As Glen stated only change one variable at a time.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Malazan

Post by Malazan »

I am about to start loading some test batches

Does anyone have a suggestion on where to start for OAL?

i.e. .010, .020 etc. off the lands

My OAL to the lands by the OGIVE is 1.955 with my comparator

Using 39 SBK's

I'm just confused on the starting length

Live Hard

bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

To avoid regular visits to the rubber room :mad: :wall: , and perhaps one never-ending vist, +1 to Glen's comment, "And only change one variable at a time."

I think the idea most folks have settled on (with the .204) is to start with the cartrige drawing's COAL, and not the obsess over the distance-to-the-lands figure. As the brethren have said, work up your best load by adjusting powder charge, and once that is established, then adjust seating depth in regulated increments moving in one direction until a better group is observed. Once that is established, you can go back to the original OAL, and see if going the other direction in seating depth does anything better for you.

I think a lot of folks are finding that the conventional wisdom of starting x.xx" from the lands isn't really coming home, so to speak with the .204, especially with factory guns.