Problem with reloads

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Malazan
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper .204

Problem with reloads

Post by Malazan »

I was shooting Sage Rats in OR last week. I was using

39 SBK's
25.1 RL-10x
Hornady, Nosler , Winchester Cases
Rem 7.5 Primers

Every so often, I would fire a shot or two, and they would hit about 50-75 yards in front of me. Then I could shoot for a while, and I would get a crazy flyer all of a sudden.

At first I thought I had just aimed low or something. Or that I was just seeing things. But my dad caught sight of them when they happened. I'd pull trigger and the bullet would smack the dirt just out in front of me.

Could my bullets have been coming apart? :duh:

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Re: Problem with reloads

Post by Hedge »

Check the poly tips on your bullets. I was reading in one of the other forums where someone had a similar problem. Bad set of bullets where the tips were loose. That might be the problem.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
Malazan

Post by Malazan »

darn, 83 views and no other ideas? :huh:

Help a guy out here :D

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

I was shooting 32 SBKs, and every once in a while one would go nuts. I caught one on paper at 50 yards key-holing.. I think there's a pic of it on one of my posts...

I gave up on them cuz I couldn't make it go away unless I have very, very few shots on the barrel after cleaning (Savage 12 VLP,1:12)

They did group fantasitc however, I think they were right in there with the 32gn VMax, I was able to get 1" @ 300y for a while there, when I was shooting like crazy and had better form.

I stuck with the Hornady only because they keep the group forever. I'm up to 200 shots after cleaning, and am still holding 1.5" @ 300y. Just an experiment.
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

I had a similiar problem with my Cooper .204. Long story short...copper fouling was culprit. Sierra also said they were getting same type complaints. Fouled or rough bore was stripping the jacket off the bullet. After a GOOD cleaning, it's back to normal.
ImageImage
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

I'm having a hard time with the 32gr SBKs. Tonight, with a squeaky clean barrel, I had six keyholes in a row! The weird thing is that when they aren't key holing, they do group well. Who knows, but I'd bet that's your problem.
GaCop103
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 110 in 204

Post by GaCop103 »

I just started load for the 204 about 10 days ago and have been using the 39gr SBKs with no accuracy problems at all so maybe newer lots have had the problems fixed.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Wtow,it's almost like shooting 20 cal bullets out of a 22cal barrel.You didn't say make of gun or barrel.Reminds me of the time a guy came to the range and complained that he couldn't get his 30-30 wincheste sighted in.He handed me a partial box of shells,and I wasn't on paper with two shots.Sights looked ok(alignment).Then on the next shot it hit half way to the target,and the next, in the berm,over the target.Turns out the gun was a 32 Winchester.

My suggestions are crown,and/or barrel.Try using JB bore paste after final cleaning,to smooth out the bore.Try 35gr Bergers,or others.If that fails,return to Mfg,or to a good smith.
Malazan

Post by Malazan »

It is a .204 Cooper

Live Hard

bow shot

Post by bow shot »

"...The weird thing is that when they aren't key holing, they do group well."

For sure, that was my experience too.

I should have mentioned this also: I'm shooting 32 gn SBKs out of a RRA AR-15 (1:12) with no problems, I can expect 2" 5 shot groups @ 300, and better if wind is off and I'm shooting well off the bipod.
GaCop103
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 110 in 204

Post by GaCop103 »

So far, I get a little indication of copper in my factory Savage barrel but it's no where near as bad as my Savage 7mm Magnum..............now, there's a real "copper mine" if I ever saw one. It looks like Savage rifled it with a chain saw.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Try a different bullet, key holing is a sign that your barrel isn't stabilizing that particular bullet. I would suggest a 26 grain Barnes Varmint Grenade with the same load and a COL of 2.260". If it wont shoot that combination then something else is wrong. Many .204 Ruger barrels have trouble with the 39 grain bullets.
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

I think the conclusion on my Savage was copper foulng also... Spanking clean it did great, and thereafter also, but with keyholer's happening. Some of them were downright scary, I'd hear them make a wicked whine/buzz sound as they went into orbit only God knows where. Certianly NOT on my 4'x8' target backing...