Ladder testing / load developement

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
247sniper
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom .204 Ruger !

Ladder testing / load developement

Post by 247sniper »

Hiya guys,

Could some more knowlagable reloaders then me please advise me on something please.

I am going to reload for my .204 Ruger when she arrives, and was wondering what was the best way ( and how to go about doing it) to go about doing a ladder test to help find optimum charge weight etc.

What ranges do you guys do them at for the .204 as well?

I have only ever reloaded the .22 Hornet before and i just used the best 5 shot group at 100 yards method, but im really wanting to do all that I can to make the .204 even better ! :D

Thanks for your help lads,

ATB

Steve.
dozernomore
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 25

Re: Ladder testing / load developement

Post by dozernomore »

for ladder test I
-way each piece of brass.
-way each bullet.
-way each charge.
-pick a powder you want to try,lot's of folks have had good results with RL-10,I personally use H-4895 and a 40 gr v-max,some folks can't make 40 grain work,but most have had good luck with 39grain.
-pending on your min max load,with the lil 204,you can probably go from min to max in 0.1gr increments
-and I alway's shoot from a clean rifle then alway's do 3 fowler shots before doing my ladder test
-never let the barrel get hot,I usually wait 5-8 min. between shots
Just my $0.02
dozernomore

Post by dozernomore »

I do my ladder test at 100 yards,lots will tell ya 200 yards,you will definitely see where the loads will tighten then open up,I have usually seen 2 sweet spots,the lower end and the higher end of load development,when you see where the loads are tightening(imperitive that you keep exact notes to each shot with respect to each load).pick a load between the loads that show a tight group.
247sniper

Post by 247sniper »

Thanks for your help guys, that helps. Just a long shot, does anyone have any pictures of what to look for on the target when ladder test is complete.....I think I know but would just make it clear.

ATB and thanks again for your help guys

Steve.
stef
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by stef »

Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Find out what works well for others with similar rifles, bullets, primers, cases, and powders. From my readings here the Sierra BK bullets and Re10 powders appear to be popular.

At times a load that might appear to not shoot so well might in fact be one of the best but not produce good results at the time of testing because of other factors such as wind, barrel fouling, temperature and other things. Try for consistant test conditions.

Generally speaking most major bullet producers make really good bullets and powders that produce good results in a round wil produce good results in similar rounds.

A free call to the Sierra Tech support line would help.

You can find out the most the fastest at 100 yds. A sweet load developed in February might be to hot (high pressure) in August. My favorite powders are H4895, IMR 8208 XBR, and Varget, all of these are claimed to be resistant to temperature change. If you can use a chronograph in your load testing this will help finalize the results.
tpcollins
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Post by tpcollins »

I don't think I'd start out with .1 grain increments unless I had money to throw away. I'd start with 10% increments first throughout the recommended range until you find a load that your rifle likes. Then you might use that as the center of your ladder test - and .1 grain incrememnts above and below that should help find what you want. If you're just trying to hit chucks, p-dogs, or yotes at a couple hundred yards, I don't think weighing brass and bullets is necessary.

However, alot of bad shooting is the fault of the indian - not the arrow.
dozernomore

Post by dozernomore »

stef wrote:Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Find out what works well for others with similar rifles, bullets, primers, cases, and powders. From my readings here the Sierra BK bullets and Re10 powders appear to be popular.

At times a load that might appear to not shoot so well might in fact be one of the best but not produce good results at the time of testing because of other factors such as wind, barrel fouling, temperature and other things. Try for consistant test conditions.

Generally speaking most major bullet producers make really good bullets and powders that produce good results in a round wil produce good results in similar rounds.

A free call to the Sierra Tech support line would help.
actually that is what I did,I read and noted what other folks found worked for them,then i would load up some rounds starting at the minimum load that worked for folks and the maximum load that worked for folks.Thats where I did the 0.1gr increments,I did not do 0.1gr increments from starting loads to maximum loads from a book,just from what others said worked for them.my apologies for not mentioning this earlier
You can find out the most the fastest at 100 yds. A sweet load developed in February might be to hot (high pressure) in August. My favorite powders are H4895, IMR 8208 XBR, and Varget, all of these are claimed to be resistant to temperature change. If you can use a chronograph in your load testing this will help finalize the results.
stef
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by stef »

AccurateShooter.com6mmBR has an article about ladder testing.

My experience has been to use what other shooters use that works well. I make small adjustments from there.

I use a chronograph and try for small groups and consistent velocities. Where I shoot there is commonly head winds @ 11 and 1 o'clock and tail winds at 7 and 5 o'clock. Groups shot at 400 yds commonly are strung up and down. If I have a load that shoots small groups at 100 and has small velocity spreads and performs well under different temps the chances of it shooting well at 500, 600 and 1000 are good.

I use powers that are temp change resistant. Use use lots of Varget, H4350, and now IMR 8208.
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

I've tried both Ladder and OCW tests. I find the OCW method faster and easier to interpret. For a comparison check this link:
http://practicalrifler.6.forumer.com/vi ... .php?t=157

In either test, maintain consistent test conditions. It's like any other experiment...minimize the variables and be consistent in your procedures.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
247sniper

Post by 247sniper »

dozernomore wrote:I do my ladder test at 100 yards,lots will tell ya 200 yards,you will definitely see where the loads will tighten then open up,I have usually seen 2 sweet spots,the lower end and the higher end of load development,when you see where the loads are tightening(imperitive that you keep exact notes to each shot with respect to each load).pick a load between the loads that show a tight group.
Excellent, thanks

Do you find you need to do any further development when you pick a load between the accurate loads to fine tune, or is the selected middle one most of often the best/good enough?

Thanks for your help guys

Steve.
247sniper

Post by 247sniper »

Hiya guys, Ive just got my powder and its a rainy day so was going to make a start and develope loads for my ladder test. I was just wondering if you guys in the know can confirm if this look correct and if anything needs amending etc to make it better etc.
I probaly do a couple over max and keep my eye open for pressure signs.

Ladder test for reloader 10 and 39 SBK's

15x 21.9, starting load, to fowl clean barrel and set scope up.
1x 22.2
1x 22.5
1x 22.8
1x 23.1
1x 23.4
1x 23.7
1x 24.0
1x 24.3
1x 24.6
1x 24.9
1x 25.1 (Max load)

Do you think .3 increments is correct or would I be better makeing a few more rounds up and doing them in .2's increments? :chin:

Many thanks for your helps guys

Steve.
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Post by inKYfromSD »

247Sniper, congrats on a new rifle! I heartily second the recommendation by Hedge regarding OCW. I personally think it's the quickest way to a consistent an accurate load. Check it out even if you don't use it.

There's a spreadsheet in the Favorite Loads http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=165 post that might get you closer to a starting load. Lots of info in there.

I've read that the .204 is a "tenth of a grain" caliber. Seems to be true in mine at least, TC PH 1 in 10". Two-tenths of a grain makes a big difference. Still minute-of-coyote but I like tiny groups with these tiny bullets. Three-tenths is a big spread IMHO. What are you using for an overall length / seating depth?

Good luck with whichever method you choose! Let us know what works for your rifle.