Load question.

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
janesy
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 sps

Load question.

Post by janesy »

So here is my load. It shoots nicely, usually around 3/4 groups. which for me is good as I'm a hunter, not a bench rester.

39 GRN SBK
25 GR Reloader 10X
remington 7 1/2 primers
COAL is 2.300.
in Hornady and Remington Brass

Here's my issue, I was out yesterday testing out all of my different brands of ammo, and long range shots to get ready for winter when I started shooting some factory Federal ammo using 39 SBK's . Three shots touching each other. So now it makes my handloads not so nice.

In order for me to tighten up my groups, I need some recommendations on where to start. Should I increase or decrease my COAL, should I load more or less powder. I'm a novice reloader who does not have an awful lot of time to test, but I'm looking to get better.
I have purchased Winchester brass, new. Hoping to alleviate some of the variations between the brass. For what it's worth I only ever shot groups using the same brass each time, but I did have various brands in my load recipe.

Anyway, some guidance would be nice.
Keith in Ga

Re: Load question.

Post by Keith in Ga »

I would set up my seating die to the same COAL as your factory rounds. I got very good results with 10X using 23.5, 23.8, and 24.0 grs (and I used Win primers) in my Cooper. My smallest group was .087 with the 24.0 gr load (avg vel 3570 fps). I didn't try any loads past 24.0 grs using a 39 gr blitzking (in this gun). However, I did try some 10X with a 32 gr blitzking in my other .204 with VERY good accuracy and velocity. I shoot Win and Rem brass, really can't tell any difference. But no Hornady brass (junk). Good luck........
ImageImage
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

My most accurate load using 39 gr BKs and Reloder 10X gives me groups just over .25" at 100 yards. (.264") Here's what I use.

Hornady or Winchester brass
39 gr BKs
Remington 7 1/2 primers
24.4 grains R10X
COAL 2.306"
DoubleUp
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger

Post by DoubleUp »

Just like Keith in Ga says, I'd duplicate the COAL to the factory rounds and see what they would do. Since you velocity is probably not going to match the factory stuff you might then have to increase or decrease COAL .010 at the time to get that same sweek spot.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I think What I'm going to try is to load some with less powder, and some with a COAL to match factory(as suggested). From reading around, more people are using less powder than more it seems.

Does anyone know the COAL of the factory SBK Federals?...I just shot all of mine.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

I would suggest changing only ONE thing at a time. Otherwise, you won't know what changed what. Seems most of us get the charge pretty well nailed down and then work on seating depth. Record your results, don't rely on memory:)
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

If you could chronograph the two loads, change your OAL to match the factory load, then tweak your handload's charge to match the factory round's velocity, the two should shoot pretty identically.

And once you get there, it wouldn't hurt a thing to tweak that OAL a little further to see if it gets better still.

FWIW, I'm not a target shooter either but especially when it comes to my varmint rifles, there's no such thing as too accurate.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I hear ya on the one thing at a time. What I mean is I'll do a small batch with one change to each batch at a time. My issue is I may only get to go shoot once in a month.

thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate all the help!
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Once a month? How do you survive on that? I mean, I could probably only drink beer once a month but, shoot once a month? Not sure I could do it!
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

a few other suggestions...........get rid of your Hornady brass! I threw mine out, and my groups got better. Seriously, they dont weigh the same the internal capacity did not match and I had problems with primer pockets and neck issues.

Also, what dies are you using? I highly recommend the Redding Bushing dies. AWESOME and produce less runout than many other dies.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
janesy

Post by janesy »

As of last night I went with new Winchester Brass, most of my handloads shot on the weekend were Remington brass. I keep all of the branded brass separate at all times so as not to have issues in the same group. but you are right the hornady brass is the worst, I'm not touching it again.

I'm using Hornady dies. But I am going to switch out the sizing die I think. I do like the bullet seating die though.
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

I'm not real fond of the Hornady dies either. They work the neck WAY too much.........or at least mine did. If you measure the necks (without the decapping rod in the die), I think you will see what I mean. I finally followed our pd guide's advise, and went with the Redding bushing dies. Much better dies, no split necks, and better quality ammo. I should have listened earlier! Good luck with you ammo, and keep us posted...
ImageImage
janesy

Post by janesy »

Ok, So here's where I'm at.

Got out my equiptment and started to prep my new brass. I'm not even touching my old brass for the time being. Man is new brass ever nice to work with. Turns out my Hornady sizing die developed some surface rust inside the thing, so I'm sending it back to Hornady to have it inspected/polished, we'll see how that turns out.

In the mean time a local supply had a set of LEE neck collet dies, so I grabbed a set to get back on track. They worked great. But it brought up another question. After sizing the ID of the neck measured out at .198 . The bullets seated nicely without any trouble, question is... Is that the correct dimension? I cannot find any case dimensions online, only dimensions with a bullet seated.
DoubleUp
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger

Post by DoubleUp »

janesy, will check the ID on my brass resized with Lee neck collet die later this morning and reply back after lunch.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Great Thanks DoubleUp !