How do you load flat based bullets?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
tpcollins
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

How do you load flat based bullets?

Post by tpcollins »

All of the calibers that I load have some form of chamfer/boat tail on the base and I've never had an issue loading the bullets. I received some samples of CRT's flat base bullets and had a heck of a time getting them into the seater. Here's some that didn't quite make it, is there a secret to loading small caliber flat base bullets? Thanks.

jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Re: How do you load flat based bullets?

Post by jrwoitalla »

I've experienced similar problems and would like to hear others solutions as well.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

To make seating flat based bullets simple and flawless we recommend a VLD Case Mouth Chamfer Tool. We just happen to make one. :D

http://www.customreloadingtools.com/crt_010.htm

I use this tool on all my brass and have never lost a bullet or damaged a piece of brass when seating. You will be amazed how much easier bullets seat after prepping your brass with this tool. As with all our tools we gurantee your satisfaction, if for any reason you aren't 100% satisfied with the tool it can be returned to us for a full refund.

Brad
Custom Reloading Tools
tpcollins

Post by tpcollins »

Thanks Brad, I have an RCBS tool that trims the outside and deburrs the inside of the neck but as a novice reloader, I'm a bit leary about removing any significant amount of brass - albeit it's probably a normal procedure.

I'm thinking first I might try taking some 3/16" ID silicone tubing, cut it about a 1/4" long, slide it over the neck, insert a bullet, run it up into the bullet seater just enough to get the bullet started, back it down, remove the tubing, and finish seating the bullet.

Might take longer but I'd rather try it first before countersinking the mouth. Thanks.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

After you have sized your cases, trimed them to proper length and have them all primed. I would take one of the name brand chamfer tools and first chamfer the outside, then the inside of the case mouth. Just a couple of small twists is all it takes. Then when you are ready to seat a bullet, place it over/into the mouth flush and hold it while you slide it into your seater die. Do this slow and steady and your should feel the bullet start to slide into the case, if so, then finish seating to the depth/length you have your die set for. Flat base bullets, just take a little better feel and easy touch. But you should not have the problem you are having, if you take a few simple steps and work slow and steady.. You will get the feel. Bill K :)
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

I've been using the simple cheap Lee chamfer tool. They seat the 39BKs fairly smoothly, but I've noticed tiny shavings of copper coming off.
I'm seriously considering one of the CRT VLD chamfer tools.

Brad - is your Aussie distributor dealing these?
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

TP COLLINS--Hey as mentioned you NEED the VLD chamfer tool, not a standard chamfer tool. As mentioned just a couple light twists to make a LIGHT chamfer and keep the cut uniform from one side of the case mouth to the other. It doesn't take much. Also buy Brads (CRTs) VLD tool. It's the best I've ever used. SUPER sharp.

Next is I use Redding Neck bushing dies to size the neck the proper amount. I use a .224 bushing for the right amount of tension for my brass. Yours may be different. If your dies are oversizing your necks you will be more likely to have the issues that your having. My Redding Comp. bullet seater helps to keep the bullet in line with the case as you lower the Ram handle to help avoid what happened to your round on the left in your picture.

You will most likely continue to have issues until you do either or both of the above mentioned things. First try the VLD chamfer tool. Let us know how it works out then!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
wirelessguy2005

i have some Hornady brass that i can full length size, prep( flash hole debur, case mouth chamfer, and uniform the primer pocket), and send to you for testing purposes. Most likely the Rcbs tool that you are using is not putting the correct chamfer on the case mouth and therefore causing you problems. As Ryan mentioned having a good die set is very helpful as well. I use the Redding Deluxe Die set for the 204 Ruger and it has worked out excellent for me. The Redding dies do a great job and don't overwork the brass like some of the other die sets I have used in the past.

Brad
tpcollins wrote:Thanks Brad, I have an RCBS tool that trims the outside and deburrs the inside of the neck but as a novice reloader, I'm a bit leary about removing any significant amount of brass - albeit it's probably a normal procedure.

I'm thinking first I might try taking some 3/16" ID silicone tubing, cut it about a 1/4" long, slide it over the neck, insert a bullet, run it up into the bullet seater just enough to get the bullet started, back it down, remove the tubing, and finish seating the bullet.

Might take longer but I'd rather try it first before countersinking the mouth. Thanks.
Last edited by wirelessguy2005 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wirelessguy2005

Yep our Australian Distributor has them in stock. The VLD chamfer tool seems to be a very popular item for them.
Sth Oz Dan wrote:I've been using the simple cheap Lee chamfer tool. They seat the 39BKs fairly smoothly, but I've noticed tiny shavings of copper coming off.
I'm seriously considering one of the CRT VLD chamfer tools.

Brad - is your Aussie distributor dealing these?
goatr
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite stainless

Post by goatr »

TPC I ran into the exact same problem last week when I tried my brand new RCBS die on brand new prepped rem. brass. I tried using my reamer (RCBS) to chamfer a bit, I still ended up with one like the one on the right. Really frustrating. What I ended up doing was removing the seater plug and dropping my bullet into the throat of the die, then I reinserted the plug till it touched the the bullet tip and was able to gentle start seating the bullet, at that point I lowered the ram and scewed the plug in to the correct depth ( which was the plug srewed in all the way till it wouldn't go anymore), then I ran the case up all the way and seated the bullet completely. A real PITA, I did 40 rounds this way and not one crushed case and bullets had immeasurable runout. These were 32gr. V-Max btw. I'm also interested in a solution other than using boatails only. Rene
Last edited by goatr on Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Thanks Brad. I'll call him tomorrow
TP - have you tried setting your neck/FL sizer die such that there's a little less tension?
Could be too small a diameter there
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

In addition to a VLD tool,too much neck tension will make it difficult to seat smoothly.Most of us use neck bushing dies to size the neck just enough to hold the bullet so that you can't push it into the case with your fingers.This is usually .001-.003 smaller than the loaded round.Measure the neck of your loaded round,then the neck of the brass after resizing.If it's smaller than .003,you might consider bushing neck dies.Hopefully the VLD tool, alone,will solve the problem.
tpcollins

Post by tpcollins »

Well it looks like I need to get the VLD chamfer tool. I did get the CRT 34gr, 37gr, and 40gr bullets loaded in various .5 grain powder ranges of IMR 8208. I'll just find out which bullet my Tikka likes best then make the order.

I'll bet the guys that reload .17 caliber have to use their fly tying OptiVisor!
wirelessguy2005

I will send you a sample of some FL sized and fully prepped brass on Monday. Feel free to load them up if you want or you can use them for comparison purposes.
tpcollins

Post by tpcollins »

Thanks Brad, I see why you're highly respected on this forum.