LT-32 Powder

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
65WSM
.204 Ruger Guns: Weatherby Vanguard action with McGowen .204 barrel

LT-32 Powder

Post by 65WSM »

I tried 27gr of LT-32 behind coated 40 gr Ballistic Tip and it blew the primer and destroyed the case. I had to pound out the case with a steel rod. The velocity was 4111 which tells you it was an overload. Part of the primer ended up inside the bolt and interfered with the firing pin so I was done for the day. I discovered why when I disassembled the bolt at home. 27 gr of IMR8208 is mild in my rifle with HBN coated bullets. It sure would be nice to have some load data to go with. I believe that LT-32 is much faster than IMR8208, VV N-133 and N-530. :roll:
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: LT-32 Powder

Post by futuretrades »

Never heard of LT32 powder.
I understand that a lot of us like to experiment with different possibilities in life. :lol: But I am of the opinion, when dealing with an explosion, 3 to maybe 5 inches away from my face, I will err on the side of caution and sanity! Sounds like you got lucky! :eek: Hopefully, so did your rifle.
One idea that crosses my mind, would be, get hold of the manufacturer, and get an idea of burn rate of this powder, compared to other powders. Also, what calibers is this powder designed for? Is it ok for use in the 204R? If so, try to get some idea of powder charges for said caliber, with bullet of choice.
Just my 2 cents.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
65WSM
.204 Ruger Guns: Weatherby Vanguard action with McGowen .204 barrel

Post by 65WSM »

You might read through this thread. It has most of the story of the original 3 lots of surplus powder that was marketed by TCCI. Since then there have been several attempts to recreate lightening in a bottle. So far I like IMR8208 which is manufactured for Hodgdon by the French owned Australian Defense Industries (ADI). IMR 8208 is even better than VV N-133. The shot to shot velocities are always in single digit differences.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index. ... =3821960.0
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I did read most of the posts on this thread. From what I read, LT32 is used in a few different calibers. I also read that the burn rate of LT32 is comparable to H4198, which I use in my 20VT. This tells me that LT32 is better suited for cases and calibers other than the 204R. I suggest you read the posts in the 204R forum, under heading 204R with H4198 powder. RIO's post purdy much states the obvious, as far as the faster burn rates in the 204R. I would suggest caution and safety in our endeavors for the primo loads with all our reloading
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

27 Grains of LT-32 with a 40 grain bullet is well above maximum. I have been conducting load research with LT-32 and found it very accurate in the .204 Ruger with light weight bullets. Because I live where lead free bullets are mandatory, I concentrate on Barnes Varmint Grenades, Hornady NTX and Nosler's BT Lead Free bullets. These bullets have proven to be accurate and very deadly on ground squirrels. Here is some data I developed, but as always these loads were safe in my rifle but always start at the minimum charge and work up in your rifle.

Rifle used to develop the data is a Colt M-4 lower equipped with a side cocking Fulton Armory upper. Barrel is a Hart 24" 1:9" twist manufactured to my specification without a gas port, making the rifle a straight pull bolt action. I switched the trigger out for a JP Enterprises EZ Trigger set at 3 lbs.

Please note that the Hornady 24 grain NTX bullet production has been suspended but is still available from online sources. I just bought another 1k of them as they are really accurate. They should be ideal in a 1:12" twist barrel. Below are three selected loads. 25.5 Grains of LT-32 is maximum for this bullet DO NOT EXCEED.

Chronograph data is from a MagnetoSpeed chronograph which measures velocities at the muzzle.

The chart below is data for the Barnes 26 grain Varmint Grenade. This bullet is my favorite in the Savage custom builds I have. The thing is like a laser, it seldom misses. The 26 grain V.G. works in my Shilen 1:12" twist, Pac-Nor 1:8.5" and now the Hart 1:9" twist barrels.

Again start at the lightest load and work up, 25.5 grains of LT-32 is the maximum DO NOT EXCEED. It's a great powder, and the folks at Accurate are developing new loads for this powder in other cartridges.