Where 2 go from here?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Motoshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka

Where 2 go from here?

Post by Motoshooter »

After few tests witn N530 I found that 26.0 grains gave me best groups - 0,5" @ 100yds. A little more powder and groups started to open up.
Im using norma brass and nosler 32grain bullets in my Tikka T3 varmint.

Here is the problem, speeds were far under 4000fps and speed did vary quite a bit - ca 3550-3750fps spread.

Id like to get 4000fps, accuracy and flatter trajectory - the hallmarks of 204 Ruger. What should I do next to get that?

Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Re: Where 2 go from here?

Post by Sidewinderwa »

My Savages like a load that is 1 1/2 grains under max, as the most accurate loads. I could safely shoot well over max in my rifles without pressure signs. Missing really fast doesn't do a thing for me. It still kills the sage rats and prairie dogs with a red mist. I am happy :jive: :lurk: :lurk:
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Storeyteller
.204 Ruger Guns: Frankenstein ar

Post by Storeyteller »

Keep packing that N530 in there or try a different powder. Those large variations in velocity lead me to believe that the charges aren't consistent. I go for the load that gives me the best accuracy at the highest velocity. I've settled on the 39gr SBK over 28gr N140 gettin 3715fps, groups avg around .25 MOA. I can send em faster but groups open up. I can get 1 hole groups if I send em slower but I lose the flatter trajectory. To find the sweet spot between accuracy and velocity I had to make some compromises. My suspicion is you will have to do the same.
Motoshooter

Post by Motoshooter »

Id really like to get 4000fps (and accuracy) out of this rifle. Should I try another powder?

I bought winchester factory ammo. It did a whooping 4150fps, accuracy was not super but OK. If they cam mass produce that stuff we must be able to do at least the same ;)
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

The factory 204 Ruger ammo is utilizing a special blended powder that is not available to the public. I wouldn't get to concerned about trying to match the factory ammo speeds. If you plan on sticking with the 32 grain bullets i would highly recommend Ramshot Xterminator or Accurate 2230 powder. Both of those powders will allow you to produce 4,000 fps + with the 204 Ruger.

If you are interested in a smaller more efficient 20 caliber cartridge you might check out a new cartridge that we recently designed and are in process of bringing to market. Its based on the Nosler 221 fireball case necked down to 20 caliber with a 40 degree shoulder. During testing it has produced speeds in excess of 4,000 fps with a 32 grain bullet. Keep in mind that we are doing this with less than 22 grains of powder. Anyone interested in reading about it can find the information posted over on the Small Caliber Club forum.

http://www.smallcaliberclub.com/viewtop ... f=36&t=804
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

I haven't tried it with 32 grainers yet but Accurate 2230 has become my favorite powder for 40gr Bergers. The stuff is very fine, meters great and produces excellent accuracy. I gave up on shooting the 32s because the darn things kept keyholing out of my 9 twist barrel, but if Brad says they work well with A2230 I'll give them one more try.
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

with a 9 twist barrel you may have trouble with the light bullets no matter what powder you use. Overspinning a bullet can and will cause it to do strange things.
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

wirelessguy2005 wrote:with a 9 twist barrel you may have trouble with the light bullets no matter what powder you use. Overspinning a bullet can and will cause it to do strange things.
Yeah I was afraid of that. The 9 twist would be perfect for 50 grain bullets but Berger stopped making them. I wish some one start making them again. (That's a hint Brad ;) )
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

You'll think I'm crazy. For those using viht powders keep a close eye on the expansion of your necks.
I've used 133, 135' 530, and 140. Had inconsistent neck expansion with all even after annealing and buying new brass. 140 seemed the best for neck expansion but 135 had the most promising accuracy.
All these tests were with the 35 Berg which in that particular factory tube had left the case before contacting the lands. Longer profiles may have better results.
If it works for you, good. But keep an eye.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Motoshooter

Post by Motoshooter »

The T3 has a 12" twist rate - so it should be fine with those 32 grain pills
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

To better give an idea of what powders have a similar burn rate for light/heavy bullets, here's a useful chart from Western Powders that not only list all powders by burn rate, but also by their similar properties to each other.

For example, Tac is closer to H4895, which we all know is very useful in the 204 for the 39/40gr bullets.

http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/uploa ... _rates.pdf

I've found this very helpful in deciding alternative powders to use in various calibers, as at this point in time, powder availability is sketchy at best. I have a printed copy of the chart in my Load Book....great reference. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I have to agree with RIO again. I found a burn rate chart in a copy of Hodgdons annual manual. I cut out a copy of the chart when I bought my first issue, and it is still on my wall in my loading room. This manual contains updated reloading data on the top 50 rifle and pistol cartridges, plus all shot shells, using any of 3 different powders, ie Hodgdon, Winchester, and IMR. For the price, you can't beat the info provided in this manual.
Like RIO said, A burn rate sheet is very useful when looking for alternative powders that may be used, in different calibers.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

http://www.lapua.com/upload/reloading/r ... t2011.pdf‎

I had never seen the one Rick posted but I have seen a similar one from Lapua/Vithavouri.