Clean burning powders for the 204 Ruger ?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
204foxguy
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 12 lrpv

Clean burning powders for the 204 Ruger ?

Post by 204foxguy »

I have been reloading for the 204 ruger for appx 2 years.
I have mostly tried BLC-2 & H4895 powders getting good groups.
It dawned on me today after cleaning the Rifle that the BLC-2 appears to be quite a bit dirtier than H4895.
What powders are you loading the 204 ruger with that you have found to be cleaner burning and provide excellent groups.

I asking this as I'm thinking if I should ever get the opportunity to go Prairie dog shooting I may want a cleaner burning powder than the BLC-2 that I am using for the 32 gr bullets.
I'm thinking a cleaner barrel will retain accuracy longer.

I am loading 32 gr Varmageddons, 32 grn V-max's, & 39 gr Sierra's.
I have used BLC-2 for the 32 gr Bullets and H4895 for the 39 gr bullets.

I don't have a lot of experience reloading with various powders and how clean they may burn.

Thanks
Last edited by 204foxguy on Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
TwentyBore
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV

Re: Clean burning powders for the 204 Ruger ?

Post by TwentyBore »

VihtaVuori is probably the cleanest.

I usually shoot Re-10x, and shot 100 loaded with N140/N150 to see how the powders did (long story short, about the same as RE-10x), and it took me only about half the cleaning time/passes to get the bore looking good.

My cleaning routine is two patches soaked in Hoppe's #9, then shoot the bore full of Wipe-Out foaming cleaner, let it sit for 30 minutes, two dry patches, and repeat until clean.

All of that being said, since it shoots no better than RE-10x for me, I don't plan on continuing to buy any more. I can just do a few extra cleaning passes, and put the saved money toward more ammo.

If you're shooting out of an AR15, then here's the easy way to clean: Before you leave the range, spray the BCG & inside of the upper receiver with whatever oil you want - Rem-Oil, CLP, motor oil, whatever. Take the rifle home that way, and put it in the safe. The next day, get it out, and everything will just wipe off of the BCG/upper/etc..
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I shoot Benchmark powder with the 32 gr pills, One of the cleanest powders I have found. With the 39's, RE10x is my choice. I can go thru a lot of ammo in a day when shooting "skippy". For me, I am fortunate to live close enough to my shooting grounds, that I take my firearms home for a good and very thorough cleaning, after going thru a few hundred rounds with 2 or 3 rifles, in a day. Very easy to do, if "Skippy" cooperates. After I started using colloidal graphite to treat my barrels after cleaning, I did notice that it seemed a lot easier, and takes less time and effort, to get my barrels cleaned up to my satisfaction. Thank you, RIO, for that tip! :wtg:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
dsandfort
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BTCSS

Post by dsandfort »

Benchmark and graphite here as well. I'm also finding success with H322 and 40 grain Noslers in a 9 twist barrel.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Every powder I've tried with the graphite relly helps a bunch. Thaks Rick :wtg:
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

:) Finish off your barrel cleaning with the graphite treatment and you will find that your barrels will clean and shoot better than ever. Bill K :)
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Back in the day I used W-748. Not the cleanest powder but after ten fouling shots the fouling seemingly leveled off and did not accumulate creating a consistent bore condition. I'd shoot these barrels all year in competition without cleaning, 500+ rounds. Also burns much cooler which is a plus.
Benchmark is probably the cleanest I know. Worked very well at lower velocities and 40 gn bullets. No specific cleaning requirements either.

I found POI changes were common starting with a clean bore so I searched high and low for a powder that didn't require frequent cleanings. Cleaner is not always better as copper may start. Only one way to find out tho.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

My favorite powder for the 204 is CFE223, and It seems to burn pretty clean. 27.9 grains gives me excellent and consistent accuracy. I've also had very good results with Benchmark.