Seating depth/jump?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Travelor
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper and Remington custom

Seating depth/jump?

Post by Travelor »

I have a Cooper and a friend just got a Remington, both in 204 Ruger. Both have L O N G throats and this is the first time we have owned a 204 Ruger.

My question is at what seating depth are you loading either gun? It seems that to keep the bullets (32 Grain V-Max and 32 Grain Z-Max bullets) seated in the cases the jumps are far more than we have experienced before. Accuracy is good, not complaining, but the jump length is "uncomfortably" long.

Thanks from a 204 rooky.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Seating depth/jump?

Post by Bill K »

You will have to play with each of those rifles and see what they like best. Most of mine, and I believe others, have found that seating close too or just a few thousand's off the lands works best. Measure your throat length and go from there, is the best I can offer. Bill K :)
toasty
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 16

Post by toasty »

Travelor wrote:I have a Cooper and a friend just got a Remington, both in 204 Ruger. Both have L O N G throats and this is the first time we have owned a 204 Ruger.

My question is at what seating depth are you loading either gun? It seems that to keep the bullets (32 Grain V-Max and 32 Grain Z-Max bullets) seated in the cases the jumps are far more than we have experienced before. Accuracy is good, not complaining, but the jump length is "uncomfortably" long.

Thanks from a 204 rooky.
My savage has a long throat. If I seat at the lands with my 39g SBKs, I end up having about .080" of the bullet still in the case which isn't enough to keep my bullet seated. I just seat off of the lands. I started at .080" and went to about .200". I think I ended up about .120" off of the lands with my current load which has proven to be very accurate. With several of my rifles over the years, I have found that seating on or just off the lands doesn't give me best accuracy. Nothing wrong with a bullet jump.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I don't think you will find a "Factory" rifle, of any make, that does not have a long bullet jump, chambered in 204R. Don't worry about that, as it will make no difference in your accuracy. My Howa 204 has the long jump. I know how far this is because I have checked it with my comparator, which you will need to check the exact distance to the lands with any 204 bullet. With the 32's, I am looking at a jump of right at .125 in my rifle. Groups under 1/2" at 100 yards. With the 39's, I am looking a jump of .080, but cannot use the magazine with this bullet. I have about .165 of the bullet in the neck. With my hand loads I can get 3/8" group at 100 yards. I only shoot 5 shot groups, as I don't believe 3 shot groups really gives you a true idea of where your rifle is capable of shooting.

Play with seating depths, after you decide what load you will be using, to find that primo load in each rifle. And remember each rifle is its own animal, so a load that works in 1 rifle may not be the best in the other rifle, or may even be an over pressure load in 1 of the 2 rifles.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

The jump in all of my 204's is just a touch over .200 as best I can tell. Basically, I can't make the bullets touch the lands with a MAX OAL 204 case; but they all sure do shoot.

HTH
Travelor
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper and Remington custom

Post by Travelor »

Thanks guys. Appreciate your experience and time needed to reply.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

There are actually 2 sweet spots, one normally at the lands and one further back. That is why some of the manufactured bullets are getting such good accuracy. I can get my two 204 Savages to the lands with 39 grain Blitzkings. I am getting 1/4 inch groups out of my 5.56 AR and it is not into the lands.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
truckerwalt
.204 Ruger Guns: RUGER MK II/SAVAGE MOD. 12

Post by truckerwalt »

when you load a .204 out to the lands you will have trouble spilling the powder into the chamber. if it still shoots good with out being out to the lands, what the heck. shoot and smile.
07yzryder
.204 Ruger Guns: AR 15

Post by 07yzryder »

http://www.bergerbullets.com/getting-th ... our-rifle/

i use that test but modify it slightly. I go mag length - the distance listed.
6@ 2.255
6@ 2.205
6@ 2.175
6@ 2.135

based on some notes here that people jump as muc has .2 i may add another at 2.055 and see how it shoots.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I'm not a subject matter expert, but a bullet seated into the lands may develop a much greater pressure than one that has a jump. Thus there seems to be a built in safety margin. Manufacturer insurance policy???
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
MZ5
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator

Post by MZ5 »

My factory 204 has so long a throat that I cannot touch the lands with the 34grain bullets I use. So, I don't try. The only real downside to this is that all ammo (including factory) shoots SLOWLY vs what the manuals and boxes say.