Powder charge

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
itzdirty
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500

Powder charge

Post by itzdirty »

I couldn't wait for summer. I started loading for the .204 last night. (My hunting parter is sick so instead of hunting I mandrels bullets). I haven't loaded anything in about a year. I load for .243 and 30-06 but have never loaded 204. I loaded up 3 different powders under some 35 Berbers. BLC-2, Varget, and IMR 3031. I used the data from the latest Lee manual.

I'm curious on a few things. I believe I know the answer to this question from comparing the starting and never exceeded loads. But i want to be sure so I'm asking. Both the BLC-2 and Varget fill the case to the bottom of the neck. The IMR 3031 has a little more room. They are not compressed but the case is pretty full. I'm not use to seeing that much capacity taken up. I assume it's due to the type of powder and the small case. Does this sound correct?

I use a Lee powder pour to a roughly a grain less than the desired charge then trickle to the desired amount with a Lyman powder triclkle. I'm working with a Hornady Digital scale. This is the model:
http://www.hornady.com/store/GS-1500-Gr ... nic-Scale/

Also the brass is new hornady brass. Yes I still sized the new brass.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Powder charge

Post by Rick in Oregon »

dirty: Generally speaking, a suitable powder will almost fill the case 100%. Assuming you're using suitable powders, you'll get more consistent burning as a result of the powder taking up all the internal space in the case.

Picture this: A not-so suitable powder only filling half the case will not give consistent ignition, as the powder is positioned differently in the case for each shot, maybe not even covering the flash hole. That can even lead to detonation, which can destroy a rifle in short order.

Look at the manual, the Nosler manual states the filled capacity in % for each max load showing how much of the case is filled.

It sounds like you're okay with what you're seeing. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

itzdirty

Post by itzdirty »

Thank you, Rick. Well written up answer. You covered everything for me. I figured everything was okay. my loading experience is still pretty minimal (obviously). Around 200 rounds over 2 years. Most were for the .243.
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

Dirty,
Spend some time in the Lee manual on Volume vs. Weight. Regardless of which method you prefer, volume isn't trying to get a grain charge; It's trying to get a volume, only has a reference to weight.
Cookie recipes don't call for oz of four, they call for cups of flour; regardless what it weighs.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
itzdirty

Post by itzdirty »

That makes sense. I read the Lee manual a few times before I even attempted loading. That was several years ago. I will go back and read again.
itzdirty

Post by itzdirty »

Lee dippers on their way. Thanks Darkker.