Lee dies...which set?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
oldfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger American Predator

Lee dies...which set?

Post by oldfox »

I want to load some .204 Ruger ammo on my new Lee press, but being a beginner at this I need some input on which dies to purchase. Which would be better, the Lee 3 die Pacesetter set or the Lee collet dies? I read that if using the same rifle, they need to only be neck sized. All the ammo will be shot from the same rifle, a Ruger Predator. I'm thinking collet dies, but all opinions are welcomed. Also looking for a good starting load..
varmit_master
.204 Ruger Guns: TC 204

Re: Lee dies...which set?

Post by varmit_master »

Hi I am new to a 204 too . But not to reloading. I bought the collet die set and pacesetter set to. I like to have 2 sets of Die's per caliber that's just me. You can take a full length die adjust it and use it as a neck sizing die. I have a decapping die to take old primers out. Before I got my collet die I use my full length die to just neck size my brass. I just neck size the brass for the load I am shooting now.
itzdirty
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500

Post by itzdirty »

I am interested in this topic too. Im pretty new to loading also so I wont attempt to answer your questions. However, I think it will be helpful to know your purpose of the rifle.

Food for thought. According to the Lee book: Hunting ammo is better off full length sized. Bench shooting is better off neck sizing for superior accuracy and brass life.
oldfox

Post by oldfox »

varmit_master wrote:Hi I am new to a 204 too . But not to reloading. I bought the collet die set and pacesetter set to. I like to have 2 sets of Die's per caliber that's just me. You can take a full length die adjust it and use it as a neck sizing die. I have a decapping die to take old primers out. Before I got my collet die I use my full length die to just neck size my brass. I just neck size the brass for the load I am shooting now.
Thanks...all this info helps. I reloaded 30+ years ago, but only .357 for my 5" S&W Mod 27... Thats about all I have done..
oldfox

Post by oldfox »

itzdirty wrote:I am interested in this topic too. Im pretty new to loading also so I wont attempt to answer your questions. However, I think it will be helpful to know your purpose of the rifle.

Food for thought. According to the Lee book: Hunting ammo is better off full length sized. Bench shooting is better off neck sizing for superior accuracy and brass life.
Most shooting will be from the bench, but an occasional varmint hunt..
MZ5
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator

Post by MZ5 »

I love Lee's Collet dies. I have them for every cartridge I load, that they make them for. I even have a couple or three custom-made Collet dies for cartridges they don't/didn't make them for.

A person will probably need to bump back shoulders occasionally, even with a strong bolt action doing all the shooting. I prefer the combo of Redding's Body die along with the collet, but a standard full-length sizer works, too. :-)

Why do I like the Collet dies so well? They make great ammo! But, honestly, the #1 reason for me is that I hate, HATE lubing cases.

Good luck!
oldfox

Post by oldfox »

MZ5 wrote:I love Lee's Collet dies. I have them for every cartridge I load, that they make them for. I even have a couple or three custom-made Collet dies for cartridges they don't/didn't make them for.

A person will probably need to bump back shoulders occasionally, even with a strong bolt action doing all the shooting. I prefer the combo of Redding's Body die along with the collet, but a standard full-length sizer works, too. :-)

Why do I like the Collet dies so well? They make great ammo! But, honestly, the #1 reason for me is that I hate, HATE lubing cases.

Good luck!
Thanks for your input MZ..all these comments are building my confidence :)
DannoBoone
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger American Predator .204

Post by DannoBoone »

Oldfox, have you done any reloads for your 204R Predator using the Lee dies yet? If so,
are you happy with the results?

I just got a Predator a couple weeks ago and immediately ordered my favorite dies, but
Forster does not make a neck sizing die in .204R unless one goes to their very expensive
bushing dies.

Is anyone using the factory crimp die as well?
PaPopGunShooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77

Post by PaPopGunShooter »

Here's what I settled on when loading my 204. Redding body die, Lee Neck sizing die, LE Wilson seating die. So far I'm very satisfied with my chose of dies.
oldfox

Post by oldfox »

DannoBoone wrote:Oldfox, have you done any reloads for your 204R Predator using the Lee dies yet? If so,
are you happy with the results?
I have not set it up yet Danno... I ended up getting Redding full length and Lee collet dies. Hopefully I will get setup within the next week or so...it's been a bad winter here and has taken up a lot of my time...
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

oldfox, I've got the collet dies for 204, 222, 223, 22-250, & 220 swift & really like them, a lot. They turn out great reloads. I ordered from Lee a couple .001 undersize mandrels if I want more neck tension, 5.00 each. I use Forster full length sizing dies when needed and a Forster bench rest seating die when seating flat base bullets, they make seating the flat base much easier than the Lee. And an answer to DannoBoone, I use the Lee factory crimp die on all my AR ammo & 50/50 on my bolt guns. IMHO, you get more uniform neck tension using a light crimp. Hope this helps some. Have a safe good evening. Jim D
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I prefer Redding S type dies, they use collets. You do not need to crimp when using collets. I help a lot of new reloaders at the store I work at. There is no problem using different brand reloading components in your common press. I tried a Lee die several years ago and did not get good results so I have not tried them again. I am sure they have made improvements through the years. I have Forster dies for my 204 and they are good quality. Yes, as others have stated, you will occasionally have to full length resize when neck sizing to bump the shoulder back. It will grow in length when shot.
Please, no Sidewinder today!