Redding Dies

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Dozer
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Redding Dies

Post by Dozer »

So I am new to reloading, and could use some help with selecting a good die setup.Does anyone use the Redding Premium Series Deluxe 3 die set? It appears to have all you need as far as precision adjustments go. I have the RCBS FL 2 die kit, but it takes a lot of measuring to keep up with different loads. IF these are not the ticket, any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Re: Redding Dies

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

to give you more flexibility down the road i would recommend a set of bushing dies. This will allow you to change neck tension if you switch from one brand of brass to another as well as extend the brass life by not overworking it. If you want the best die set available on the market check out my friends at Whiddens Gunworks. http://www.whiddengunworks.com/product/ ... die-set-2/
Whidden's has a 2 die set consisting of a full length bushing die and a micrometer top seat die that will do everything you could ever need for the 204 ruger.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

I think Brad nailed it for you.

1. Redding or Whidden, can't go wrong with either.
2. Bushing type sizer. From Redding, it would be the Type-S.
3. Micrometer top seating die.

You can save time adjusting the seating die you already have by saving a dummy round with each type of bullet you use. Back the stem out, run the dummy into the die and turn the stem back in (down) until it contacts the bullet and lock it in place. Not as precise as the micrometer but, may save some frustration in the meantime.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Bonanza/Forester dies are good ones too. I'd get the one where the replacement parts can be readily obtained if something goes wrong [bent spindle, decap pin,...etc].
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I have a set of Forster dies for my 204, with micrometer seating die. I have bent the deprimer spindle twice now. I am waiting for my Redding full length bushing die and bushing to arrive now. I too have had great luck with Redding type S bushing dies. Brownells had them in stock a few days ago. I had a difficult time finding a place that had the die and bushing in stock. I ordered a .227 bushing, same as the one on my 20 VarTarg dies. Ramos gave you good advise to make a dummy round, no primer, no powder once you have established the best seating depth for your rifle. Happy shooting! :mrgreen:
Please, no Sidewinder today!