Competition Load Development Info

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Competition Load Development Info

Post by skipper »

Please, give us some insight into your competition load, rifle, shooting style, and bench setup. Inquisitive minds want to know how you're going to beat them in this 5 Shot Challenge competition. :eek:
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Competition Load Development Info

Post by Bill K »

My set up for this challenge is my Savage Axis SA receiver, with a 26" CM barrel, varmint contour, that I bought from a site member, that he took off a Rem 700, he had. The action sits in a Boyd's lami, nutmeg stock and was bedded into place, with the larger barrel contour and free floated.
The scope is a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 with duplex crosshairs/small-fine center.
My load is a Hornady case, with 29.3 grains of CFE223, under the 32 grain Hornady z-max bullet seat to OAL of 2.250.
Runs in the neighborhood of 3940 FPS and is my basic/standard critter load, as it is very accurate in this rifle.
We will see how it does in the challenge. Bill K
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Forgot to mention my bench set-up. I have a 360 base that I made a slightly larger top for, that I like the fit of better than the original. That is what I use most of the time in the field for pivot shooting, etc. I may use this when I shoot the challenge target and set my target out to the measured 100 yards, or go to my local gun club range and use the concrete table that is on the firing line.
Hippy

Post by Hippy »

Hope to be able to compete this year http://imgur.com/bqK1Zyp http://imgur.com/szwHg88 http://imgur.com/Ys2HWwk these are only 3 shot groups shot on different days out of 6 groups this was the worst http://imgur.com/ojZylEA and I believe that I just missed the conditions.

Rifle is a XR-100 with a Rifle Basix trigger using H-4895 , Winchester Brass, 39 Sierra's MOLY and 7 1/2 Primers--The amazing thing about these groups is they were shot with loads that had a .6 grain spread

Jim
Hyper
.204 Ruger Guns: savage 12 ,Bell and Carlson stock,McGowen 1n11 twist barrel.

Post by Hyper »

Set up for the challenge would be..Savage model 12 in a Bell and Carlson stock with a McGown 1n11 26" barrel.Trigger is a slightly modified. The scope is a SWFA 12 power in milrad.
Load is 26.8gr XBR 8208 /39gr bk (hbn coated)...1.920 measured to ogive Rem 7 1/2 primers.
I will be shooting at the gun club I belong to They have both wooden benches and two concrete ones. ( I like the wooden ones.)
It will be shot off bipod (Harris)
I have just completed the rifle so no real data yet but have broke in and it shows promise ....testing this weekend

HYPER
alltherage
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP

Post by alltherage »

stock savage 12 VLP with nikon 4.5-12...either 27.6g w748 2.245" oal or 31.8g cfe223(HOT) 2.242" oal with 32gvmax. cci 450 primer
alltherage

Post by alltherage »

may experiment with TAC if i have time, i have only shot it with 40g bullets so far. good luck!!
skipper

Post by skipper »

This weekend it's time to pull out the custom 204 Ruger. 26.1 of Benchmark and my pet cases have been launching 35 gr. Bergers into some really small groups. First I have to make sure there is no hard carbon ring in the throat of my Lilja barrel. I'll soak a patch with my secret formula bore cleaner and insert it just into the throat of the rifling and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Then I'll check it to see if there is carbon present. This is a sure indication that you have the dreaded hard carbon ring in the throat of your barrel. A 204ism. If it exists, I'll use bore paste to remove it and head to the range with about 30 rounds. My plan is to shoot a couple of fouler shots, followed by a test group or two to check wind conditions and then fire for effect if all is in order. God save the Queen. Daddy needs a new pair of shoes. See you on the other side.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Sounds like a plan Skipper. I also fire one fouling shot, into the dirt, prior to firing my Official target, for score. Know you will do well and surely beat out my group.. But that is the way it goes. Bill K
skipper

Post by skipper »

Forgot to say that I shoot free recoil. It will probably take me 30 minutes to get my bench set up but then it's all about the trigger squeeze. The Jewell trigger just has to be tickled to torch the round off. Please, remember, you invited me to compete. JK :lol:
alltherage

Post by alltherage »

I plan to do the opposite of whatever ive tried in my past range sessions!