Rem 700 suggestions

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: Rem 700 suggestions

Post by RAMOS »

JO191145

Curious why you mention scrubbing the throat good, after using 10x. I use it and it burns clean, etc. Have seen no problem with my bore or throat areas ? Bill K
Bill, seems that RL10X is a "dirty" burning powder. Not your' experience? Guess what, it's not my experience either!!! RL10X is the only 204R powder I have used in the last few years, quite happy with it in all respects. The one thing I don't do with it is let loaded rounds sit in an enclosed vehicle during the summer heat before using it. Happy enough with it to suspend experimenting with other powders, JME.
camoclad
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington700 SSLV 21" fluted barrel

Rem 700 suggestions

Post by camoclad »

I usually shoot a 5 shot group then let the barrel cool till it is slightly warm to the touch, never letting it cool completely. The 39gr SBK loads I shot this weekend were with 4 shells per group only because I was running out of bullets and couldn't pick any up till this week.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

:D Bill, My expierience has been just the opposite of yours. I won't bother going through all the stories but I've found 10X to be one of the filthiest powders going.
Especially if your cleaning regimine is not up to par while using the stuff. Glad it works for you.

camo, just my opinion but your sticking those bullets out to far. 95% of my 204 shooting used the 35 Berger. COAL on five different barrels was 2.265" from first shot till it burned out.
Never had a problem (with a good barrel) making them shoot at that COAL.
One barrel enjoyed the 40 Berg for awhile. Started testing at 2.265" just like the 35's. Ran the entire gamut and found 2.275" was the winner.
Never found great agging ability with the 39 BK but anything past 2.300" is getting a little weird. Still just my opinion on that. ;)

Don't bother with .005" seating increments at this time. Get drastic. At least .020" increments. Personally I'd go bigger. Start pushing them things deeper in the case and see what happens. If you see something tighten up then you can begin fine tweaking. If everything sucks you've saved yourself a couple hundred inaccurate rds :D

Yes DTL is distance to lands. A very important measurement in most rifles. Gotta admit over the years shooting Savage barrels in 204 I usually take that measurement just once when new. After that the target tells the truth. Like I said, the 204R in factory mode is a slightly different animal than all the stuff you read about. I've never once tried to chase the lands in a 204.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

+1 to the above, on every point
camoclad
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington700 SSLV 21" fluted barrel

Rem 700 suggestions

Post by camoclad »

Thanks jo191145. This answers a lot of my questions. Over the past couple years I've come to realize that the .204 is really a bird of a different color. It's just not a easy as starting a bullet in the case neck, seating it with the bolt, and backing it off a few thousandths! I appreciate your and everyone else's opinion and hope it helps others who follow the forum. If time permits this week I'll be loading up another batch and heading to the range this weekend!