32gr - V-Max vs Varmagrddon

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Re: 32gr - V-Max vs Varmagrddon

Post by broper »

Yeah, to me it's a lot of fun working up different loads with different bullets and finding what shoots best in your gun. Before I tried the 32 gr. Varmageddon I used mostly the 40 gr. V-max. I was getting around 3/4" +/- with 30 gr. BLC(2). 39 gr. Sierra's shot about the same as 40 gr. V-max in my gun.
kingofcoins
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender 14" bbl

Re: 32gr Varmageddons

Post by kingofcoins »

I find the Hornady Z-Max bullets superbly accurate in my 14" Contender.
But don't know why they'd hit any different than V-Max as
the only diff is they have green plastic tips rather than red.
Spar
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Stainless 204

Post by Spar »

Lol yeah a mate is trying the zmax in his 223, apparently cheap in bulk packs. Probably not available in 204 around here though with the shortage around. Either war i have been doing ok with the 26gr grenades and the 40gr v-max. Both half inch in my tikka, the 40's slightly better. Got some 39gr TNT and 32gr Varmageddon to try now too but need to get more brass first. Will pick some up this week hopefully!

Anyway first fox with the 204 was taken the other night with a 32gr v-max. No pelt damage and a instant kill at 200m in the neck. Don't know how to upload a pic on here though lol
Spar
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Stainless 204

Post by Spar »

Well a update on my progress, I managed to try out the varmageddon test loads. tried a bunch of different powder charges of BM8208 ADI and all performed amazingly. In the end i setteled for 29gr of 8208 simply cause there were no pressure signs and the extra bang might be handy when i get it on the chrono. All the loads i tried were avg of 1/3 inch at 100m and the largest group of the 8 was 1/2 inch. How is that for consistancy! So either way I loaded up a couple of hundred rounds.

Also in the meantime i have got my hands on 500 Z-max which should also shoot well in my rifle (vmax do). Will try them out next, hope the run well with the same charge weight as the varmageddons! For the price i'm not complaining.
Last edited by Spar on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

I have never used the 32 gr. V-Max much. The 32 gr. Varmageddon was recommended to me by gun writer, John Batsness. It turned out to be the most accurate bullet I've shot in my rifle. It really puts badgers down so I think it would also be good for fox. He said it has become his favorite bullet for coyote and they are bigger than fox. I'd load them both up and see which one shoots best in your gun.
skidooracer_99
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by skidooracer_99 »

would the 32g varmageddon tipped or hollow points be more devastating on little prarie dogs? which one would have the edge on accuracy?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

skidooracer_99 wrote:would the 32g varmageddon tipped or hollow points be more devastating on little prarie dogs? which one would have the edge on accuracy?
Your rifle will determine which one had the edge on accuracy, and the only way you'll ever know is by shooting both bullets with your pet load. No one can tell you which one will be more accurate.....that's for you and your rifle to decide.

But I can say with a degree of certainty, that the poly tipped bullets are MUCH more destructive on PD's and ground squirrels than their HP non-tipped cousins.

Here's an example of a ground squirrel hit at 322 yards with one of my 204's using the 32gr Nosler BT at 4,060 fps:

The tipped Varmageddon gives identical performance. If you want carnage, then it's poly-tipped bullets for you. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

It does not seem like it would, but you will find the tipped more explosive and damaging that the HP's.. Rio's photos show just some of the tissue "Injury". :D Bill K
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Only problem is where to find the Varmageddon poly-tips! I havent seen any for a year. Rumor has it that some guy shows up to the Nosler factory and loads them all into his truck, then goes gun-shopping at local pawn shops buying varmint rifles to post photos of on website forums!
K = ½mv2
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Oh, oh Bodei... Is the the mystery man in Or ? :D :D Bill K :D (Funny)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bodei wrote:Only problem is where to find the Varmageddon poly-tips! I havent seen any for a year. Rumor has it that some guy shows up to the Nosler factory and loads them all into his truck, then goes gun-shopping at local pawn shops buying varmint rifles to post photos of on website forums!
Dang those nasty rumors! Boolits? What boolits? I don't know nuthun' about no stinkin' boolits........

Rats! Now it looks like I have to change my daily routine, I've been exposed! And I was lookin' forward to a pawn shop cruise today. :wink:
Bill K wrote:Oh, oh Bodei... Is the the mystery man in Or ?
Bill, the only real mystery is where DO all those BT's and Varmageddons really go? There's none around here either. Me thinks the big mail-order houses get the bulk of whats produced by Sierra, Hornady and Nosler. Even the Pro Shop has not had any .20 cal stuff on the shelves for months.

Really......it ain't me! :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I am sure Rick, you know I had my tongue in cheek :lol: . That is exactly what I am hearing, that the big box stores get first go, then the trickly down/left overs go to dealers. But even, with that, the big box places seem short on supply. Just wish someone could catch up and get them out to us, poor souls out here suffering with drawals. :wall: Bill K
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

All I know is if I could invest in a Copper mine, I would in a second!
K = ½mv2
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: 4-Rem 204's ,20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

We did the Nosler factory tour this june and I was amazed at how many boxes of bullets were in the loading area, many had delivery labels of Cabela's if memory serves. The rumors of factories slowing down production to create the empty shelves is, well, BS.

While in Bend I did happen to run into a guy that, as stated above, seems to snag all of the gunshop treasures, we even went to the Pilot Butte diner and browsed the gunstore across the street, and he had nothing of interest for a vermin guy and he mentioned a local buys up all the good stuff as soon as it arrives...LOL

I bought up a shipload of 17 and 20 grain Noslers and Vmax's when they were available, so I have enough bullets to keep skippy scampering for the next several years for my son and I, although my upcoming retirement may consume more than I have planned for!

Bend is a very cool town, and if you go you need to do the Nosler tour, Black Butte beer ( tour as well as sample) and Pilot Butte diner and Mcmenimins are must visit places, and possible the Ale Trail if you love beer. We stayed in one of the little houses at Mcmenimins, our back yard was the cool bar.

http://www.mcmenamins.com/490-old-st-fr ... tage-rates

Allen