Place your bets - 200 rnds, 8 pow, 7 bull - COMPLETED!!!!!

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

:lol: I'm glad it was taken in the text I meant it as. Just a little humor.

BTW-- I sighted my 17HMR in yesterday AM. I used duct tape to hold the target to the backboard. So there were no targets harmed during testing. :wink:

Except for the 25 or so holes in it!! :lmao:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Glen wrote::

Maybe after 100 or so butterfly stitches that target might recover with a little bedrest. Chicken soup might help also.

acloco I hope you have a heavy duty pickup for all those rounds and don't forget your cleaning rod. ;)

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

jo191145 wrote:
Glen wrote: It's usually dead when the staples go thru it. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: As a paper puncher I really appreciate that.
As a non betting man I'll go with the 35 Berg and H-322.
Your best accuracy might not be at your desired velocity though.
Your gonna let a little weather age and tarnish all those loads. Get out there and post some results :twisted:

Sorry acloco, feeling a little twisted and evil today ;)
jo191145 - I will put your name on the 35 B/H322 (have to pick 4 spots - please post what grain of powder).

Yes...I am watching them tarnish in the garage!! Worked all weekend and watched snow drift.
acloco

Post by acloco »

jo191145 wrote:
Glen wrote::

Maybe after 100 or so butterfly stitches that target might recover with a little bedrest. Chicken soup might help also.

acloco I hope you have a heavy duty pickup for all those rounds and don't forget your cleaning rod. ;)
Agree - cleaning rod is ready as well!!!!!
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

acloco

I cant quess :cry:
I've only just begun using H-322 with my beloved 35 Bergs which are coated with Tungsten Disulfide. I'm not sure what will work with naked bullets.I also just recently screwed on my original tube which has well over 3000rds through it, mostly naked. It is very well worn.
The reason I reinstalled it are several. First I wanted to see if it was really shot out as I had originally thought. Secondly I wanted to see if all those expierimental recrowning jobs I performed on it would allow it to shoot or not.

For several reasons this barrel now copper fouls like crazy at high velocity even with WS2. It also happens to be one of those barrels that never tolerated such a condition. Hence any accuracy left in this barrel is to be found down low. 26.3grs gives me the best sustainable accuracy at 3670fps.
Of course this is with WS2 and does not represent the loads/velocity's you'll be seeing. I've gone up to 27.5 @ 3840 and saw signs of great accuracy but the copper begins throwing the POI off.

26.3 = 5 shot groups in the threes at 100yds when I get all the planets aligned. Have shot a couple high 2's with 26.9grs of Benchmark. Not to shabby for a barrel as beat up inside as this one. It just cant do it for long.
Soon it will go back into retirement as its newest replacement is patiently waiting in the wings.

Ok cleaning rod and snowblower. Good luck and Good shooting.

acloco

Post by acloco »

jo191145 - Have you thought about an electronic bore cleaner?

First, to prove to yourself....clean the barrel like you normally do. Use all of your mojo, bore scope, whatever....then......

I made one - 1/8" rod, insulated every 5-6" with small shrink wrap, rubber cone shapped stopper for the end of the barrel (seal with your favorite silicone) and two D or one 6 volt battery.

Install the rod in your barrel, seal with silicone, fill with your favorite or not so favorite bore cleaner (does not use much).

Connect the NEGATIVE lead from the battery to the rod and the positive to the frame. Let this run for a couple of hours. Clean until you get the barrel clean - (use a couple of cotton squares first, then a brush, another cotton, then start cleaning with a soaked cotton....and continue another normal cleaning rotation.

The rod will be coated with crud...have someplace to put it - nasty stuff that stains everything. Wipe off with a rag and carb cleaner and put this away to use again.

I guarantee you will be unbelievably surprised at the garbage that remains in your bore.

Some people use white vinegar, bleach, etc......I don't...I am not a chemist and don't know the interactions...so...just stick to the bore cleaners.

Come on...have some fun...pick three load weights with the H322 and the Bergers...only costs 25 cents!

Supposed to be 40 tomorrow!!!! No..have too many errands...but I am liking Friday or Saturday.

Also waiting for the printer for my chrono to arrive (late XMas present to me).
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

A very interesting project. This 1/8" rod, I assume its steel.
In actuality the copper wipes out pretty easily while using WS2. Just started using the Wipeout foam everyones been raving about. Not bad stuff at all. I usually push a few patches of solvent through then a touch of alcohol and then the accelerator and foam. Saves scrubbing with brushes.

This poor barrel has had a hard life. When I switched from shotguns and pistols to centerfires I started with this 204. I won't count the mini-14 I traded in for it. It took a lot of faith to buy a 204 RUGER after that mini.
Back in the day(really not that long ago) I had to order a Dewey .20 rod direct from Dewey. I guess they were so new they did'nt even have a .20 jag yet. They stuck a .17 on it. This is a bad thing.
Next was my realization that my new 204 shot most accurately clean.
So for the first 600rds or so it was seven shots and scrub. Once I started reloading I found I could go further between cleanings.

Anyhow this old tube exhibits a very rough throat. Then the rifling "feels" as if "wobbles" for the next 8" Then you hit the "divot" Not sure what caused the divot but its undeniably there. No bore scope either.
Very scientific explanations of the feeling of a tight patch huh.
After leaving the divot its just fine.
It has served me well, taught me a little and deserves its rest. I have three more.

Three loads for H-322 and naked Bergs 24.8
Stack the deck in my favor and set em at 2.265
Now where the heck do I put the quarter in this stupid machine.
Oh crap sparks everywhere :eek:

acloco

Post by acloco »

All - how about a standard bull barrel on a Savage?

Moly or no moly on these bullets?

In my 223, I can go quite a few rounds with nekkid bullets before cleaning. Use everything from 40 BT's to 69 HPBT's.

I do know this, those that use moly coated bullets tend to swear by it. The other half of the shooting population, despise them

jo191145 - use the slot in the back of the coffee cup holder.

Also..the 35 grain Bergers are moly coated!
trdtoy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV

Post by trdtoy »

Moly coated bergers shoot the same speed as non-moly bergers in my savage model 12FV.....
Major accomplishments with my gun so far:
450yds crow, 410yds opossum, 450yds coyote, 150yds Grey squirrel head shot!
Best 3x group-touching @ 200yds
Deer killed: 11 and counting. From 8 to 220yds!
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

acloco
I do not recommend mixing moly and naked. Refer to your other post.
Others may disagree and are free to do so.

acloco

Post by acloco »

Went to the range today....ALMOST. Road has a 3+ foot drift...probably 100-200 yards long.

Somebody else already tried it...and spent some time trying to dig out - you can tell by the number of footprints surrounding the "crash" site.
acloco

Post by acloco »

Went to the range today. The road was just finished being plowed. The 3' drift, is still there, just made a new trail to go around it. Two frozen layers of snow with several other snow storms in between.

Wind was 15-20 mph from the S, SW and a temperature of 15 degrees, did not seem like this would be a great day to work up loads and determine accuracy. I bet I would have spent most of the time putting the chrono back up.

Oh well...another day...hopefully soon.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

No one can say your not committed. Some might say you should be.
Scorching 65 degrees here in Ct. Just got in from my range with the 204 and 308. My 204 was beeing a real b!#@% today. Hope you have better luck when you finally get to pull the trigger. Gotta love this global warming stuff.

acloco

Post by acloco »

jo191145 wrote:No one can say your not committed. Some might say you should be.
Thanks....I think! ;)
jo191145 wrote:Scorching 65 degrees here in Ct. Just got in from my range with the 204 and 308. My 204 was beeing a real b!#@% today. Hope you have better luck when you finally get to pull the trigger. Gotta love this global warming stuff.
Yep...patience...right?!?!??!!

Actually, this is a normal winter around here (middle - literally - of Nebraska). But, they have not had WINTER here in 10-15 years. I don't know anybody that actually owns a snowmobile anymore.

Last "winter", we shot, well, all the time. Temps in the low 30's to high 40's. At the range in the long sleeve sweatshirt...and sunglasses!!

It is ok. I have another reloading project that I am half done with, so I might finish that today.
acloco

Post by acloco »

Cannot remember if was Skipper, Whistlepig, or who....but THANKS for making me buy a pound of RL10x today.

Will load some tomorrow night to add to the mix.

....as I have time to stay indoors!