primers

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
bazz
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka

primers

Post by bazz »

are does any one know what primer is loaded in the federal v shock i assume there 205 or 205m reason for asking i noticed a small firing pin crater in the rem 7 1/2 in my home loads but dont get it with the v shocks and i know there not hot, checked firing pin for excessive clearance and it measures the same as all my other tikkas and they dont do it im not bothered by it but was just curious and since most of our northern mates are under snow i thought might liven up the forum very quiet a t m cheers bazz
ScottB
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: primers

Post by ScottB »

bazz wrote:are does any one know what primer is loaded in the federal v shock i assume there 205 or 205m reason for asking i noticed a small firing pin crater in the rem 7 1/2 in my home loads but dont get it with the v shocks and i know there not hot, checked firing pin for excessive clearance and it measures the same as all my other tikkas and they dont do it im not bothered by it but was just curious and since most of our northern mates are under snow i thought might liven up the forum very quiet a t m cheers bazz
bazz,

I don't know what primer is used in the Federal V Shock, but the Rem 7 1/2 primer has a hard cup (More so than the 6 1/2). If you are getting cratering with that primer, and the firing pin checks out OK, I would back off of that load until I had things figured out.

What is the load that is causing this?
"I was brought up to believe that Scotch whisky would need a tax preference to survive in competition with Kentucky bourbon."

Justice Hugo Black
bazz

Post by bazz »

i know all my reloads are under pressure cause when i work up a load i mic the web of the case at the first sign of expansion that is max in that rifle and load one grain under is the safe case max and then work loads for accuracy , these reloads are on there 8th reload and have not had to trim for length and primers pockets are still tight its only very very small cratering the primers do not flatten out to the edges they start to crater from 26.5 of ar2206h up starting load is 26 max load is 27.7 with 40 grainers im using 39 g bks ill check next week when i get my crony back cheers bazz
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

Bazz, is your rifle a Remington 700? After I had my bolt replaced by Remington I noticed all my primers were cratering, both factory and hand loads. I called Remington and was told by a tech that this was normal. He told me later model 700s have a slight bevel on the firing pin which causes cratering even on loads well below max. If you have a 700 and you load below max you should be fine.
bazz

Post by bazz »

no its a tikka and ive tracked the problem down it was a combernation of two things first i changed reloaders from a lee press to a forster press and with the lee collet die the forster puts alot more tension on the necks the day i was shooting the bullets were lying in the sun and it was hot , went out last night had two shots and no cratering which is strange because adi powders are not supposed to be heat sensitive so i will no have to do some more load developing cause they are really flying , shot at a three hundred yard target and dialled in the 2.250 to hit the bulls eye then run the numbers in the ballistic program and came in close to 3900 fps ,. thanks every one cheers bazz
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

bazz wrote:it was a combernation of two things first i changed reloaders from a lee press to a forster press and with the lee collet die the forster puts alot more tension on the necks the day i was shooting the bullets were lying in the sun and it was hot ,
Bazz, I have also changed out my Lee press for a Forester Co-Ax. After Adjusting my dies for the co-ax, and using the Lee collet neck die for 20 cal and 22 cal, I have not had any issues with neck sizing my cases.
As for leaving loaded cartridges siting in the sun, in my personal opinion, that is a definate NO,NO. especially for any length of time, even with powders that are not heat sensative. These powder are designed to allow for warmer temps when shooting, but not for excessive temps, such as letting your ammo sit in the hot sun!
I have been there and done that. when temps are hot outside, I keep my ammo in an ice chest until ready to shoot, only taking a few rounds at a time. and even then I try to keep them in the shade until needed for shooting.
Just my 2 cents
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
bazz

Post by bazz »

futuretrades wrote:
bazz wrote:it was a combernation of two things first i changed reloaders from a lee press to a forster press and with the lee collet die the forster puts alot more tension on the necks the day i was shooting the bullets were lying in the sun and it was hot ,
Bazz, I have also changed out my Lee press for a Forester Co-Ax. After Adjusting my dies for the co-ax, and using the Lee collet neck die for 20 cal and 22 cal, I have not had any issues with neck sizing my cases.
As for leaving loaded cartridges siting in the sun, in my personal opinion, that is a definate NO,NO. especially for any length of time, even with powders that are not heat sensative. These powder are designed to allow for warmer temps when shooting, but not for excessive temps, such as letting your ammo sit in the hot sun!
I have been there and done that. when temps are hot outside, I keep my ammo in an ice chest until ready to shoot, only taking a few rounds at a time. and even then I try to keep them in the shade until needed for shooting.
Just my 2 cents

i agree with sun but the bullets were in there packet part of nature over here when sitting out in the middle of a paddock calling foxs but there was a huge difference between the two reloaders that was the main reason i went for the forster i could not get a proper tensioned neck with the collet dies no matter what i did i could not get the same tension some were tight some where just slipped in now there bloody tight and even using the forster seating die my reloads have shrank to one hole groups just wanted to know about primers because every other calibre i own will show case expansion when getting close to max pressures cheers bazz
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

Federal is under the ATK flag.
So either Federal, or CCI primers.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
bazz

Post by bazz »

Darkker wrote:Federal is under the ATK flag.
So either Federal, or CCI primers.
could you please exsplaine what atk flag means cheers bazz
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

The Defense Contractor, ATK, Owns Federal and CCI/Speer.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.