Advice needed please....

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
jam1e
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ American s/c

Advice needed please....

Post by jam1e »

Hi folks,
I'm a few weeks into starting to reload my own ammo for my CZ 527 American.
I've not had great sucess, but the gun hasn't exploded yet so i'm doing something right, (So far!)
I'm finding that my Remington factory rounds are the best. Achieving .6" groups with 5 shots at 100 yards. The Rounds are the 32 grain Accutip-v.
I've tried to match that with my reloads but i'm way out, only achieving around a 2" group! :oops:
What i'd like to know is whether i can copy the Remington rounds, using their powder. However, i can't find any info to tell me what they use. Can anyone out there tell me, or is it a Remington "trade secret"??
Secondly, what do you people thing of Hogdons BL-C (2) powder for the .204? I've had a few people tell me that the powder may be having a negative affect on the accuracy of my reloads as it's not best suited for the .204 Ruger.
And lastly, what powder would you recommend instead of the BL-C (2)? Hogdons H322??
Replies appreciated.
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Re: Advice need please....

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

I would start by using the same projectile as in the factory loads and seat them at the same length. This combo is working for you already so all you need is to match the speed of the factory rounds and hopefully you've got your winning combo. You'll need a chrony for this of course.
If you manage to get these right, and groups are no good, then there may be an issue in your case prep regime.
But start with these, and get back to us with results.

Good luck
ScottB
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: Advice needed please....

Post by ScottB »

The ammo companies don't use the same canister powders that are available to the hobbyist reloader. You don't have access to the powders that they use.
"I was brought up to believe that Scotch whisky would need a tax preference to survive in competition with Kentucky bourbon."

Justice Hugo Black
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Try and get a match with velocity using a chronograph. Then find a powder that will get you there safely.
K = ½mv2
jam1e

Post by jam1e »

Thanks fellas,
I do have a chrono so i'll see what fps i'm getting with my reloads then compare with my Remington Accutip-v.
Is it possible to buy the Remington bullets on their own on the open market?
Thanks
Jamie
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

jam1e,
I've had excellent results with BLC(2) in my .204, Rem. 700 VLS. The Nosler 32gr. Varmageddon has proven to be the most accurate bullet. I used Win. cases, Rem. 7 1/2 primers. No special care to the brass. It had been fired several times, I full length sized, cleaned primer pockets, chamfered mouths, wiped clean and loaded. One three shot group with 29 gr. BLC(2) went into .169. I started with 27 gr. and worked up to 30 gr. in .5 gr. increments. None of them went over .721. A lot of people say that BLC(2) isn't as accurate as some other powders but I've had excellent results with it. However, every rifle shoots different, you just haven't found the right load for yours. Keep experimenting, try different powders, primers, bullets, even different brands of brass. To me that's a lot of fun experimenting and finding that "sweet spot". Don't give up, your gun will shoot.Good luck . Bob
broper

Post by broper »

Oh, and one other thing, the Rem. bullets are Hornady V-Max's just with a different color tip. But you can buy Rem. bullets. I got mine from Midway USA.
Bob
fishnbob
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C venture predator

Post by fishnbob »

jam1e wrote:Thanks fellas,
I do have a chrono so i'll see what fps i'm getting with my reloads then compare with my Remington Accutip-v.
Is it possible to buy the Remington bullets on their own on the open market?

Thanks
Jamie
I have good results in all 3 of my 204s with h4895 and8208 powder. I have bought remington bullets in 40 gr but have better luck with 39 bk's. I have not tried rem 32's or have i tried to find the bullets but hornady and nosler 32's shoot well for me. Good luck
jam1e

Post by jam1e »

Thanks for the info folks.
Bob, thanks for the info, including the bullet head info. Is there a particulat bullet that most people swear by, or is it a case of finding out what the gun prefers?
If not i'm just wondering what would likely to be the best bullet to go for? A 32 grain Hornady V-Max, or the Nosler 32grain Varmageddon or what i have, the Sierra Blitzking?
I'm using Magtech primers. To be fair i haven't heard of them. Has anyone else heard of them? Are they any good. And could they be the cause of my lack of accuracy?
Apologies for all the questions, but i'm very keep to learn!
And lastly, off topic briefly. I would absolutely love to move to the usa! Land of the free, and all that.... :)
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I've had good luck with RL-15, H4895 and IMR-8208XBR. One worth checking when comparing the factory loads to your reloaded ones is the neck tension because that can make a difference. My CZ-527 really likes the 39 SBK over the H-VMAX. Other than factory, never Remington. I use Rem 7 1/2 primers.

WRT the CZ-527 American, mine really made a big difference after I glass bedded the action and free floated the barrel.

HTH,
jam1e

Post by jam1e »

Thanks for the info Jim.
When people write "H4895" i presume the H is for Hogdons?
As for your CZ 527 American, thats odd as my 527 American came free floated?
And thats spooky about the bedding as i was reading up on glass bedding for mine just last night!
Did you bed the whole action, and an inch or 2 down the barrel?
Was the increase in accuracy measurable?
Thanks
Jamie
broper

Post by broper »

A lot of guys really like and swear by the Sierra 39 gr. They work pretty good for me but not as well as the Nosler 32 gr. Varmageddon. I have yet to try the 35 gr. Berger but I've read and been told by a few that it is "the" .204 bullet. It is really good to get advice and recommends from others, it gives you a place to start. But vwhen you get down to it it really is what your gun prefer's. Just start loads low and work up, itmight take a while but you will find "your load".
Bob
jam1e

Post by jam1e »

broper wrote:A lot of guys really like and swear by the Sierra 39 gr. They work pretty good for me but not as well as the Nosler 32 gr. Varmageddon. I have yet to try the 35 gr. Berger but I've read and been told by a few that it is "the" .204 bullet. It is really good to get advice and recommends from others, it gives you a place to start. But vwhen you get down to it it really is what your gun prefer's. Just start loads low and work up, itmight take a while but you will find "your load".
Bob
Cheers again Bob.
I'll be popping out for some new bullets....
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

jam1e wrote:Thanks for the info Jim.
When people write "H4895" i presume the H is for Hogdons?
As for your CZ 527 American, thats odd as my 527 American came free floated?
And thats spooky about the bedding as i was reading up on glass bedding for mine just last night!
Did you bed the whole action, and an inch or 2 down the barrel?
Was the increase in accuracy measurable?
Thanks
Jamie
Mine was an early model so maybe they're free floated now or mine slipped by the QA inspectors. Who knows? The bedding made quite a difference, roughly dime size grous @ 200 yards if I do my part.
sharps45-120
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber 84M .204 Ruger

Post by sharps45-120 »

Hi, I found the Berger 35grHP backed by 27.6gr of IMR8208XBR & a R/P 7 1/2 primer & Nosler brass shot a .236" group at 100 yards from my Kimber 204 Ruger from my portable benchrest. My barrel is free floated & the trigger is light. I haven't bedded the action as yet & may not as long as it keeps shooting like this. Love small bullets going fast & accurate. Good loading. Your rifle may shoot differently than anyone elses, keep working with all components & it should come in. Mine does not care for 30 or 32 gr slugs, it like 34 & 35 grainers. I have some 39 Sierra BK to try but not ready to until all the 35's are used up.