204 Ruger

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
vmaster59
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

204 Ruger

Post by vmaster59 »

Was out feeding the cows the other day. I saw a coyote standing on a little dirt mound I've been taking my new CZ 527 in 204 Ruger with me for awhile now in hope of getting a coyote with it. I stuck it out the window of the truck and took aim just behind it's right shoulder. I let the Hornday 32 gr V-Max fly out of the CZ's 22" bbl. I heard the hit and saw the death spin seen him fall off the mound. Then went to check it out and to my surprise the coyote was gone! All I found was a three foot circle of fur and no blood!
The wind has been blowing here and the soft powder dirt was gone so now tracks. Never found it. The grass is so tall here it could have been anywhere. May have hit a branch the brush was thick. Don't think it made it to far. Guess I'll have to wait on another on to see what the 204 does. Like to try some 39 gr sierra's.
I was told that the 32 gr V Max bullet would not stop a coyote. The bullet would expand to fast and not penatrate on a coyote. This is my first 20 cal. I would like y'all input on this pls.

Clint
-----------------CLICK HERE-----------------
DoubleUp
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger

Re: 204 Ruger

Post by DoubleUp »

The 32 vmax will kill coyotes quite nicely and you can find more on the subject in this thread.

http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9004
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

While the 32gr V-Max will kill a coyote, I think you would be far better off using the 35gr Berger or the 39gr SBK. Sounds like you may have splashed the little pill on his shoulder.
magnum
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by magnum »

no coyote,s over here in the uk but i did have had 2 foxes run after i shot them with 32 gr vmax and 32 nosler 1 of each i must say it was not the best shot i,v done 1st went about 30 mts and the other about 50 mts before they dropped now have gone to 39 bks or 40 gr vmax ( my gun likes the 40 better )they tend to drop on the spot now (not tryed the 35 berger )
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

I don't care for Hornady tipped bullets in the 204, as they seem to be VERY fast openers. So you may well have had a splash. Move to something else, been very happy with Sierra and Nosler for dropping coyotes. Leave the hornady's to popping pigeons.

And mind you I shoot a TON of hornady bullets in just about every other calibers, just don't care for their 20 cal stuff.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
DoubleUp

Post by DoubleUp »

If you put the 32 vmax or zmax where it is supposed to be on a coyote, it will kill them DRT. I shot enough last winter to know that for a fact and not an opinion. If you hit a shoulder then you may very well make a mess, but you can also do that with 39 sbk's. As you well know, called coyotes don't always present the optimal shot, but if you can put it in the boiler room just behind the shoulder or a neck shot the 32's are absolutely devastating with small entry and no exit. The last coyote I shot about a week ago was with a 22-250 using a 50 zmax at 3,900 fps and the bullet was slightly too far back but got both lungs anyway. Small entry hole, half dollar exit hole with part of the lungs blown right out the hole, and he went 90 yds and jumped 2 ditches before expiring. I believe the 204 would have been just as good since it probably wouldn't have blown out the other side and he would have gotten the full impact totally within his body. On the other hand, he left a nice blood trail that might not have been so visible had a 204 with 32 gr. bullet been used. I'll never know for sure, but won't heistate to shoot one with a 204 because I've seen how hard they hit.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

All this talk on all the forums about poly-tipped bullets for coyotes....good or bad. If anyone takes the time to actually contact any of the makers of these bullets, they'll be the first to tell you that they were designed and intended for shooting varmints in the rodent catagory or like sized animals....prairie dogs, chucks, ground squirrels, crows, etc. with their thin tapered jackets and easily obtained violent expansion.

I just wish everyone would keep this in mind when they either complain about poor performance, or stellar DRT episodes that we all know do happen using these bullets. It's all about application (not to mention shot placement). JMO
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

vmaster59

Post by vmaster59 »

Thanks for all the replies. Going to try a diff. bullet and if that don"t we will go from there. I know these have a very thin jacket for fast expandion. And they weren't really ment to be used on coyote size game. Tried it on just jack rabbits and the same thing it blew the fur all over the place and the rabbits were still alive but in bad shape. Going to try to slow the 32gr down a little as well to see if that helps.

Clint
DoubleUp

Post by DoubleUp »

If it helps any, I was keeping my 32's about 3,900-3,950 fps. Hope you find a good combination.
vmaster59

Post by vmaster59 »

Thanks DoubleUp I was going to try around 3800.

Clint
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

They will kill coyotes, I've seen several killed with plastic tipped bullets and have killed them myself with them. The last one I killed was with a 60 gr. V-Max in my .22/250. I've killed two with 40 gr. V-Max in my .218 Bee.
Bob
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

I take that back. The first coyote I killed with my .218 Bee was with 35 gr. V-Max. 176 yds. DRT, never quivered. We couldn't find an entrance and there was no exit. That happened in Wyoming. The sec ond one was at 26yds. with 40 gr. V-Max. That was here in Idaho.
vmaster59

Post by vmaster59 »

I've killed a lot of coyotes with my 22-250 overe the years. The best I've found is the Seirra's 60gr HP #1375.

Clint
vmaster59

Post by vmaster59 »

I've taken a lot of coyotes with my 22-250 over the years. The best I've found is Seirra's 60gr HP #1375. Taken a lot of hogs with it as well.

Clint