Varmageddons reviews

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Varmageddons reviews

Post by sharptailhunter »

I did a search on here to see what people have had to say about the Varmageddons. It appears that some have liked em. I was curious if there were anymore reviews about them? My rifle shoots the Sierra BKs really well so I'm wondering how they compare. I know the BKs are quite a bit more money. Has anybody had any real world results on squirrels and prairie dogs with them? Specifically if their claimed violent expansion is any better than the v-max, varmint grenades, or BKs?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Varmageddons reviews

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Early accuracy reports are quite encouraging, but as the bullet just came out in the fall/winter, and it's not rat season anywhere.....yet (January/Feb), it maybe too early for any objective rodent "terminal results", but guys who used them during what time was left of the 2012 rat season were purty impressed.

(The guys who went on the annual Nosler Red Mist used them, and let's just say, "yes", they're VERY explosive on PD's, ground squirrels and the like, and if you like SBK's, NBT's and HVM's, they say you won't be disappointed.)
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Brad @ CRT reported on them late last summer,that they were accurate,and very explosive on Prarie Dogs (32gr tipped).I loaded 1000 rounds ea in 1 204r and my 20AB.Groups were great in both guns.
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

As Joe noted i was able to test the 20 caliber 32 grain Varmageddons last summer while on a pdog trip in Colorado. Based on the testing I was able to do the Varmageddons are one of the most accurate and explosive factory bullets available on the market for the 20 calibers. I was able to obtain just over 1/4" groups at 100 yards with my factory savage 204 Ruger. During testing the Varmageddons consistantly outperformed the 39 g Sierra Blitzkings in accuracy and explosiveness. I was very impressed to say the least. Give them a try, you won't be dissappointed.

Brad
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

I have only tried the .224 40 grainer "tipped" on ground squirrels and while I can't say they were better than the Vmax, they certainly weren't any worse. They get the job done. By job, I mean launching rats into low-earth-orbit.
K = ½mv2
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

They are very accurate in my Rem. 700 VLS. I shot one group that measured .169. All I've killed with them is one badger, just a small caliber sized entrance and no exit. Big male, he just rolled over on his back, DRT.
Spar
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Stainless 204

Post by Spar »

Any more reports considering these have been in used for 6 months now? I am about to order some to try and want to see if they are worth it.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I have tried the .17 and .20 cal, tipped one's. I like them, they are as accurate or more so than the z-max or v-max for me. They do open up critters, have used them mostly on jack rabbits, so far, as the ground/diggers have been on the low side around the meadows, this year. Two coyotes fell to the .20's in 20VT and neither exited, tore up inside. Will shoot more of them, for sure. Bill K :)