Using the Hornady Comparitor

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
jam1e
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ American s/c

Using the Hornady Comparitor

Post by jam1e »

Hi folks,
I'm now the owner of a Hornady Comparitor.
So obviously i can measure my oal accurately.
Now comes the really dumb question!..
Before the comparator i would measure the oal with a digital vernier gauge tip to base, then spend lots of time seating each bullet abit at a time to get them all right. Ocassionally having to use the kenetic hammer to pull them slightly if i seated one too short.
Now i have a comparitor, is this going to save me any more time in measuring the oal. Or will it take me just as long, but will be more accurate as i'll be measuring from the ogive :huh:
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: Using the Hornady Comparitor

Post by Joe O »

It will be more accurate from the ogive.Your only speed up would be a micrometer seating die.Now each bullet needs to be measured to touch the lands(more tools).Then you'll find that there is ,or could be a big difference in the ogive of a box of bullets,so sorting by ogive (same comparator)is necessary for accuracy,when shooting groups.A friend shoots 1000yd matches with a Rem 260 he built.He was shooting sierra 142 MK and found a big variance in bullet ogive,when he told me I checked the remainder of a box of 6mm Sierra 95MKs,and had a hi/lo difference of .015 and everything in between.He switched to Nosler 140s.Just something to think about.It's all fun,and $$.LOL
Nor Cal Mikie
.204 Ruger Guns: None. Had a 16" barreled rear grip SP that was WAY too wild.

Post by Nor Cal Mikie »

I use the "Hornady Comparitor" to check each and every brand and style of bullet I shoot. Get my measurements, write it down and use that measurement when seating to the lands. I jam everything and adjust as needed when working up a load. Good investment and well worth the $$. And, it makes your rounds more accurate. Once you get your starting measurements, it cuts down on the length of time making reloads.
It also allows you to compare how far the throat has worn after you have shot a "bunch" of rounds from where you started.
jam1e

Post by jam1e »

Thanks for the replies folks.
How would a micrometer seating die speed the system up. Just a more accurate die ??
As for touching the lands, this isn't possible in most cases with the .204 Ruger. At least not with the Hornady v-max 32's. The 32gn heads just fall out the brass! :lol:
The Hornady v-max 40gn heads are a fair bit longer and are boat-tail so better C/E anyhow! And maybe possible to get closer to the lands?
However, i've been told by many people that the .204 bullet likes a "jump to the lands". Which seems to be true. (In my reloads anyhow) With the .32 gn heads my most accurate round was quite short compared to some "factory" rounds out there. The most accurate being 2.250".
sakofan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington varmit sf

Post by sakofan »

I seat all my bullets to magazine length which means they could be quite a bit from the lands.
Will sorting bullets to ogive make any difference in this case ?
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

I've had the Hornady Comparitor for several years, and it's relatively easy to use. However, when trying to get measurements on my two .204's, I never could get consistent numbers. After multiple tries, I finally gave up and seated to recommended OAL that Cooper gave me. I never had problems with other guns or calibers, but never could get the .204's measurements down.
Another very unscientific note. I measured a random sampling of v-max and blitzkings from base to ogive. The v-max were VERY consistent and accurate, and the Blitzkings were all over the board. BUT, for some reason, the Blitzkings are more accurate in my guns! Go figure.
ImageImage
Joe O

Post by Joe O »

sakofan wrote:I seat all my bullets to magazine length which means they could be quite a bit from the lands.
Seems most factory204 chambers are long,however they seem to shoot very well with plenty of bullet jump.Mine are all single shot,and shoot well @ 2.350 +/-.020.Factory loads are
2.250 +/-,so for magazines try loading as long as will work,with best accuracy.
Joe O

Post by Joe O »

sakofan wrote:I seat all my bullets to magazine length which means they could be quite a bit from the lands.
Seems most factory204 chambers are long,however they seem to shoot very well with plenty of bullet jump.Mine are all single shot,and shoot well @ 2.350 +/-.020.Factory loads are
2.250 +/-,so for magazines try loading as long as will work,with best accuracy.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

sakofan: You do not have to sort all your bullets by ogive or anything else. Factory bullets these days are as good as we're ever going to see, don't waste your time sorting. Just use the tool to find the "touch" spot for each brand and weight of bullet you intend to use, write down all the "touch measurements" for record, then you'll have a baseline of how far off the lands you are when seating bullets, and also a baseline for measuring throat erosion over time so you can "chase the lands" if wanted; always be the same distance from them as the throat wears.

If you're shooting a 204 and loading to SAAMI/book OAL to fit the magazine, the only value the tool will have is to keep track of erosion, as you'll never even come close to the lands if you're loading to fit the magazine anyway.

Keep in mind that only serious competition shooters actually sort their bullets by weight or ogive, and they're using custom hand-made bullets. For varmint shooting and informal target work that we do, no need to sort factory bullets.....really. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

jam1e

Post by jam1e »

So all that time i've spent bagging up bullets in the closest weight and length was worth nothing! :wall:

Rick, will a micrometer make my reloading any quicker than a standard die. Spending time adjusting depth and using my kinetic hammer when i seat a bullet a little too deep?

If the normal "Varmint" bullet is so variable was it even worth me buying a comparitor, let alone bagging bullets by weight and height :huh: :huh:
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

So all that time i've spent bagging up bullets in the closest weight and length was worth nothing!

Not really, just depends on how you intend to use them. If shooting varmints only, then 'yes', not worth the time or effort.

Rick, will a micrometer make my reloading any quicker than a standard die. Spending time adjusting depth and using my kinetic hammer when i seat a bullet a little too deep?

I think you're missing the point in using a micrometer seating die. "Quick" is not in the equation, "accuracy" is. These dies have a sliding sleeve that ensures precise in-line seating to minimize TIR (Total Indicated Runout), or "wobble". This straight to the bore relationship is critical to peak accuracy.

The die, once set up, eliminates the use of your bullet puller, as all bullets are precisely seated to an exact predetermined depth, so it could be said to be a tad faster in operation, as every bullet is guided by the sleeve, NOT your fingers.

If the normal "Varmint" bullet is so variable was it even worth me buying a comparitor, let alone bagging bullets by weight and height

"Yes". Again, you're missing the point....the comparator tool is used for YOUR rifle chamber to get a baseline of exactly where each BRAND/WEIGHT of bullet touches the lands so you can load accordingly. And the factory bullets of today are consistent enough for what we do without dinking about sorting or weighing. Just use the tool as intended and you'll soon see the advantages it offers.

As you seem new to handloading, maybe just forget the tool for now, load to book OAL, get some groups downrange, then decide if you want to stark tweaking seating depth. You DO have a reloading manual, right?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Look at it this way: Measuring bullet length got you very used to using that comparator. Now, you can use it to more accurately measure for for COAL. Keep a record of this length for the different bullets you are using. This, IMHO, gives a more consistent point of reference than measuring "stem-to-stern" because the tips themselves will vary. The micrometer top die allows you to load one type of bullet, then a different type with the same desired length of jump. Like the comparator, this requires you to keep accurate records. Example, micrometer is set at XXY for 32 grain Z-Max, XYY for 39 grain SBK's and XYX for 35 grain Bergers. The micrometer also gives you a convenient way to predictably vary your seating depth when experimenting with different COAL's. Measuring with the comparator gives you confirmation that you are adjusting your seating die to achieve your desired results. Without permanent records, the advantages of these two tools are nil. Did I make that confusing enough?

ON Edit: Somehow, I knew Rick would respond with clear, concise information. My thoughts, in typing AND speaking, makes me feel like I have a mouth full of marbles!!!
jam1e

Post by jam1e »

Well that puts me well and truly in my place!
And i have to say i totally agree. :oops: Accuracy is more important than the time it takes to make the round!
Thanks to Rick and Ramos for pointing out what i seem to have temporarily lost sight of!
I will stick to what i have and concentrate on accuracy rather than speed!
Cheers fellas!
sakofan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington varmit sf

Post by sakofan »

Thanks to Joe o, Rick and Ramos for the great advice.
I will just keep doing what im doing so.
cheers lads.
mpstan
.204 Ruger Guns: None yet

Post by mpstan »

Just an aside.......... Got my comparator out last week for the First time for my Remy 700. To seat my 35 g Bergers into the lands requires the bullet to be completely out of the neck with about .030 gap. So like everyone else I'll put my comparator away and go OAL, which as close as I can tell is a .200 jump for my 700.