How do you guys work up your loads?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
bigborefan
.204 Ruger Guns: savage

How do you guys work up your loads?

Post by bigborefan »

Not sure if anyone remembers but a few weeks ago I had some questions about dies for the .204. Well I got the dies ( Lee collet, and Hornady seater with f/l die) and 200 Hornady 40gr came with it. I have some Ramshot Tac powder on had I was using for .223 so I'm going to start with that combo. I've preped my fire formed brass flash hole, primer pocket, trim and chamfer.

My question now is should I start with the c.o.a.l listed and work up the powder first or start with a longer c.o.a.l, then work powder up then dial back the length to see how it groups? Starting with listed length and work up powder sounds like a better idea to me. Any thoughts?
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: How do you guys work up your loads?

Post by Bill K »

I like to start working loads up, with the bullet seated as recommended in the books or to fit the magazine. After I find one or two loads that seem the most accurate, then I play with the seating depth to find the sweet one. My method, for the most part. Bill K :)
bigborefan

Post by bigborefan »

Bill K wrote:I like to start working loads up, with the bullet seated as recommended in the books or to fit the magazine. After I find one or two loads that seem the most accurate, then I play with the seating depth to find the sweet one. My method, for the most part. Bill K :)
This is how I was going to do it also. Then I started seeing ladder test and all sorts of different ways so I just thought I would get some opinions. I've always loaded mostly for plinking ammo never target or varmint hunting like I will be with the .204. Thanks
Immortal
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV 204,Cooper MTV 204,Sabre Defence 204

Post by Immortal »

Bill K pretty much summed it up. You will be surprised how much tighter your groups can be by playing with the seating depth. Some barrels like a bullet to jump and some like them on the lands.
Nor Cal Mikie
.204 Ruger Guns: None. Had a 16" barreled rear grip SP that was WAY too wild.

Post by Nor Cal Mikie »

Just make sure you only change one thing at a time. (or you'll end up chasing your tail!!) :wall: Find you most accurate load then adjust from there. Same powder, same bullet, only change is bullet seated depth.
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

Keep in mind that some rifles don't like the 40 gr bullets. Mine really like the 39 gr blitzkings, and aren't really crazy about the 40's. If the 40's don't work out, try some 32, and 39 gr bullets.
ImageImage
bigborefan

Post by bigborefan »

Thanks for the help guys but working on a load is on the back burner right now. My groups with my go to factory ammo are shifting just about every time I take the gun out to shoot. I had the stock bedded and it didn't help, so now the scope is off the the manufacture to see if that is the problem. I appreciate all the help though.