Ultrasonic cleaners for brass

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Simomac
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka t3 hunter stainless

Ultrasonic cleaners for brass

Post by Simomac »

Hi all, I am looking for opinions on the use of ultrasonic cleaners for fired brass, a mate of mine uses one to clean his brass and it seems to work well. From there he loads them without any further cleaning or the use of a tumbler with media. We both only load for hunting so bench rest accuracy is not needed. Also have been looking and it seems the shooting brand versions are way more pricey than those advertised as jewelry cleaners. Do they work any different, or what specs does one need to have to be sufficient to clean brass, any help appreciated!
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners for brass

Post by inKYfromSD »

I picked one up from that-online-auction-site a couple of years ago that looks just like the Hornady one. Not sure what the differences might be. Osccilations per second? I now use a 60/40 mix of water/white vinegar with a thorough rinsing in plain water afterward. I've also tried the Hornady mix and Simple Green but ended up back with the vinegar. I put the brass in front of a dehumidifier overnight before priming. No problems so far. Brass comes out looking brand new. No need to tumble.

Clean the primer pockets a little before you US the brass, keeps the mixture a little bit cleaner. Not necessary though. There's a good article on 6mmbr.
Simomac

Post by Simomac »

inKYfromSD wrote:I picked one up from that-online-auction-site a couple of years ago that looks just like the Hornady one. Not sure what the differences might be. Osccilations per second? I now use a 60/40 mix of water/white vinegar with a thorough rinsing in plain water afterward. I've also tried the Hornady mix and Simple Green but ended up back with the vinegar. I put the brass in front of a dehumidifier overnight before priming. No problems so far. Brass comes out looking brand new. No need to tumble.

Clean the primer pockets a little before you US the brass, keeps the mixture a little bit cleaner. Not necessary though. There's a good article on 6mmbr.

Thanks, i'll do a bit more digging to see if I can find any differences
Simomac

Post by Simomac »

That link was gold thanks for that, answered a lot of questions