204 AR Build Question

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Smash
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom Built AR15

204 AR Build Question

Post by Smash »

I'm building an AR in 204 and I have a question. Not my first AR build, but my first in 204. I have a BCG from ICE arms that I'm kinda iffy on. Heard some things about them lately that's making me think I need to verify headspace on their bcg.

So....question; What headspace go/no go gauge do I need?

Thanks,

SMASH
Trpshtr
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12, AR-15/Shilen

Re: 204 AR Build Question

Post by Trpshtr »

Ya need a .204 Ruger go/no go gauge. Shame to buy a set just to check one build. Is there a local gunsmith that might check it for a small fee? Like smaller than the cost of the gauge. Or (and i know this will be controversial) you can use a factory round for "go" (that's not the controversial part) , and the same round with two thicknesses of scotch tape on the head for the "no go". Best to pull the ejector outta the bolt first.
Smash
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom Built AR15

Post by Smash »

I kinda live in the middle of nowhere. As far as I know I'm the only one out here that builds AR's. If I ordered a set I'd probably be the only guy within 200 miles that had a set...
onebreath280
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 ruger AR-15

Post by onebreath280 »

If you buy a Shilen barrel it comes with a head spaced bolt with matching S/N to the barrel. A pretty good service if you ask me.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Trpshtr wrote:Ya need a .204 Ruger go/no go gauge. Shame to buy a set just to check one build. Is there a local gunsmith that might check it for a small fee? Like smaller than the cost of the gauge. Or (and i know this will be controversial) you can use a factory round for "go" (that's not the controversial part) , and the same round with two thicknesses of scotch tape on the head for the "no go". Best to pull the ejector outta the bolt first.
Smash, the above method, with a factory round, will work. But I have been told, pull the firing pin (for safety) if use this method. The best is a set of gauge's, but when you do not use them often and need to save money, the round with and without the two layers of tape will do the job. Bill K
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Smash, if you havn't bought the barrel already, you will find that some of the barrel suppliers (JP, Shilen) will include a matched BCG, and the extra cost is almost nill compared to other suppliers that do not provide a (matched ) BCG.

Also, remember you can't adjust the headspace in the barrel-install step, since it just plainly is locked against the receiver with the barrel nut, so I'm not really sure how the bolt could be adjusted?

Last I knew, and I could be wrong, but the "matching" of the BCGs to the barrels a more a selling-the-right-one, thing, rather than an act of machining/cutting/turning the bolt, barrel or receiver.

Ie., I'm quite sure that one off-the-shelf BCG can be used for .204, .223, 20 practical, and a few others, but a different BCG is required for a different family of cartridges like 50 beowulf, 450 bushmaster, 30 Rem, maybe 6.5 Greldel

If you got to ar15.com there is lots of (too much, lol!) info there. If you get your intel from the barrel makers, that's the best way to go...

Man, I talk too much, lol!!