3 plus a flyer?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
.204Rguy
.204 Ruger Guns: one on the way!

3 plus a flyer?

Post by .204Rguy »

Hey guys~range trip #2 under my belt, and while fatigue started playing a role after about 4 hours, the results are in. Having reviewed my targets, I noticed a bit of a trend. 3-4 shots grouped nicely, and a flyer. The flyer wasn't always the last shot either. There was a Benelli R1 (30-06) to my left, lobbing empties at me for more than 2 hours, that might have contributed to things...but it's still a bit puzzling. Anyhow, as badly as I wanted the (more readily available) Hornady stuff to work, the Cooper seemed to like the recipe on this target. 3 in tight, 1 flyer. Distance~100 yards.

Why 4 shots? Right or wrong, most of my group testing I do with 3 shots. I load 5 of each, test with 3, use 2 to zero the scope with the "winner". In some cases, if I read Cooper 1:12" 204 data that someone found to be superior, I'd load 6-7 of THAT load, then test using 4 or 5 shots. When I got home, the bore was pretty dirty...more than I would have expected. I probably put about 130 rounds through the rifle in total, using various bullet/powder combinations. Powders H4895, Varget, H322 and RL-10x.

Back to the subject line~any chance barrel temperature can throw things off that far, or a combination of that...plus a dirty bore? Obviously, there are lots of factors (including wind) that play a roll. It was a bit gusty yesterday.

Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: 3 plus a flyer?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

From past experience when working up loads, it's always best to clean the bore when changing to a different powder. All powders foul in very slight different ways and to different degrees, so groups shot with a new powder without cleaning will never reveal their true potential unless you started out with a clean bore with that given load.

Treating your bore between strings of different powders with something like Lock-Eaze will also help reduce powder as well as copper fouling and better give you a true idea of your 'real' group potential.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

.204Rguy

Post by .204Rguy »

Hey Rick~thanks for chiming in. Noted. Sadly, the only range I shoot at is a public one...with very limited facilities, so not sure how I'd tackle taking that on unless it was on the tailgate of my truck with cold wind blowing in my face. ;) Might consider that as an option next time though, thanks for the advice.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

I have never been to a public range. That being said, can't you clean your rifle right there, at the shooting bench?
.204Rguy

Post by .204Rguy »

Let me expand on that~it's private, with 1 range available for "walk-ins" @ $30 for the day. There are rather militant RSO's who (for good reasons, probably) treat everyone on that particular range as severe liabilities. It draws all kinds of people, many with very little experience, so anything you do OTHER than sit down and and shoot is given serious scrutiny. Should be said, this is Canada and worse yet, Ontario. Very liberal place where guns are viewed as evil by probably 99% of the population. You sneak your gun case to your truck! Everything perfectly legal, just the kind of place it is. Anyhow, ranges like this are some people's only option close to home, and membership in clubs here tends to be either very expensive, or affordable and at capacity already. Since my range time is for load testing only, I don't consider club membership a real good use of resources...but boy, it would sure be handy.

Back to the question Ramos~even if they allowed it, I'm not sure how comfortable I would be with that many SKSs/SVT-40s going off around me. Makes a guy hate steel-case, surplus ammo when it rains down on you! Great climate for load testing!
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Man, I feel for you! I won't mention that our permanent shooting bench is 25 yards from the front door with backstops at 35, 50, 100, 200 & 300 yards. That would be TOO mean.

Make the best of the resources you have available. Looks like your rifle will be shooting nice, tight groups in the near future!
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Just out of curiosity. Why do you zero your scope during load development? Why not just shoot all 5 shots & see where they land? I prefer to not shoot my aiming point out til after I've found a load I intend to use. So maybe not having that defined aim point on every shot is the culprit?

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just wondering why you use that technique is all. Please be gentle. :lol: :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
fishnbob
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C venture predator

Post by fishnbob »

Rick in Oregon wrote:From past experience when working up loads, it's always best to clean the bore when changing to a different powder. All powders foul in very slight different ways and to different degrees, so groups shot with a new powder without cleaning will never reveal their true potential unless you started out with a clean bore with that given load.

Treating your bore between strings of different powders with something like Lock-Eaze will also help reduce powder as well as copper fouling and better give you a true idea of your 'real' group potential.
Not to hijack the thread but maybe the poster has this same question.Whats your regimen for applying the lock ease and what type do you use? Thanks RIO
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Not RIO but, I use NAPA brand Lock-Ease, number 765-1384. When done cleaning the barrel, I push one patch soaked with Lock-Ease through the barrel and let it sit long enough for the carrier to evaporate. Then one dry patch and call it good.
fishnbob
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C venture predator

Post by fishnbob »

Thanks RAMOS. Is it aerosol or a liquid.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

fishnbob wrote:Thanks RAMOS. Is it aerosol or a liquid.
Mine is liquid [from NAPA) used the way Ramos described it.

To the OP:

Its just a simple fact some powders don't follow others very well, even from the same manufacturer. If you can't clean where you shoot you can always fire several conditioning shots before shooting for groups.

HTH,
Surfcitydude
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Contender carbine, Cooper Model 21

Post by Surfcitydude »

I've noticed with my Cooper Model 21 that after shooting about 10-15 round checking loads, seems to open the pattern significantly. It hasn't been an issue at all while shooting prairie dogs since there is more time between shots. Mine has a fluted heavy barrel. But Cooper barrels are not near as heavy as let's say my Savage 12VLP in 22-250. Mine makes nice tight groups but once it gets a little hot, forget-about-it!