Neck Wall Thickness

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
rbp75503
.204 Ruger Guns: Black Rain Shilen Barrel

Neck Wall Thickness

Post by rbp75503 »

I can't seem to find the recommended minimum neck wall thickness when .204 brass should be dumped into the recycle bin.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Neck Wall Thickness

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well, it can't be thicker than .014", and most likely not much thinner than .010" to get any decent neck tension.

Remember, most .204R chambers will mic .232" (all my Coopers do), some production factory or sloppy chambering jobs may run a chamber neck I.D. of .234", so do the math: bullet .204", chamber ID of .232", that gives .028" split in half for both sides of the brass gives .014". But that would give zero chamber neck clearance in many chambers: not good. You want your brass necks to be right around .012", and your loaded neck O.D. right at .228". That will give safe, adequate bullet release and brass spring-back and still be fairly snug in the chamber for peak accuracy potential.

If your're turning necks, be careful to not turn too much, or the case will not hold a bullet after sizing....... :chin:

Caveat: An factory 204R engineering drawing I received from Hornady back in 2004 shows the neck OD of a factory loaded round as mic'ing .231". That tells me that many SAAMI-spec chambers are most likely cut with a .234"~ neck reamer. So unless you do a chamber cast or know what your neck ID really is, proceed accordingly with due caution.
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Sun May 11, 2014 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

rbp75503
.204 Ruger Guns: Black Rain Shilen Barrel

Post by rbp75503 »

Thanks Ric.

Great information and completely answers the basic question and I imagine potential future questions I might have had. I have recently begun reloading again after a 40 yr plus hiatus and find that I have forgotten more than I presently know. :)
Bob
Gleedaniel13
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Gleedaniel13 »

Great information and completely answers the basic question and I imagine potential future questions I might have had. I have recently begun reloading again after a 40 yr plus hiatus and find that I have forgotten more than I presently know. :)
Bob
Can you still load with that age?. I am wondering because I think your too old at that time..
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Gleedaniel13 wrote:Can you still load with that age?. I am wondering because I think your too old at that time..
How old do you think he is? Does age somehow limit ones ability to handload? Most folks I know in Oz seem much more in touch than you, and their English is much better too. WTF is up with your post response to this fellow?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Gleedaniel13 wrote:I am wondering because I think your too old at that time..
Hey buddy, I don't think anyone here really gives a flip about what the hel! you think! I think you should keep your rude comments to yourself!!! :mad: It has been my experience here, that we support, and try to help our fellow forum members. If that is too hard for you to comprehend, I would suggest you move onto another forum!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Gleedaniel13 wrote:
Bob
Can you still load with that age?. I am wondering because I think your too old at that time..
Maybe Gleedanile13 you were attempting to make a funny comment, but it does not sound like that.. A person is never to old to reload, in fact age give a certain amount of maturity and knowledge/safety. As for Bob and coming back to the fold of our sport, I welcome him with open arms. Bill K :)