Fl sizing

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
chuckhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 thumbhole, Savage Model 12

Fl sizing

Post by chuckhunter »

How often should I FL size my brass? I normally neck size it but the last few
times I shot, I was having problems with a sticky bolt, so I FL sized some to see
if it would make a difference. It did. I was just wondering after how many
firings you guys FL size.
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Re: Fl sizing

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

in my experience there isn't necessarily a set number of firings before its time to full length size. There are many factors that can have an impact on this: is this a factory chamber or a custom, how hot are you loading it, etc.... With a minimum spec custom chamber like i have on my 20SCC chambered rifle i can get 8+ firings just neck sizing. On a factory type cartridge you might see a couple firings or maybe more depending on how generous they were with the reamer dimensions. I have a friend with a factory 17 fireball chamber that was so oversized that the brass would stretch over the max length in just one firing, as you can imagine that forced him to full length size each time and it dramatically shortened the life of the brass.
chuckhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 thumbhole, Savage Model 12

Post by chuckhunter »

I have a factory savage model 25. My loads are in the middle of the road, not hot at all.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

My own process is using what is called a bump die instead of your FL die. You only need to bump the shoulders of the brass .001 or maybe .002. A bump die is basically a fl die with the guts removed, so it works the brass a little less. I only neck size, and at this time I have some brass with 6 firings, and still run thru my Howa, factory chambered, with no sign of being to tight to chamber.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

As mentioned it can depend on pressure of load. Prior to FL sizing again, did you happen to make sure the length was within tolerance ?
Often that is the first indication of a sticky case/bolt. Then, yes, you may have to bump the shoulder back if the length is good. Bill K