ANOTHER 204 Die Question

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
jpx2rk
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV, R783/20P combo

ANOTHER 204 Die Question

Post by jpx2rk »

New guy here on the forum and new to the reloading arena as well so please bear with me to some extent. :doh: I've got a Savage Model 12FV (Cabelas) in 204 that I am setting up for paper punching and possibly p dogs when I get another trip set up sometime in the future. I searched and found lots of questions & comments about dies. So far the majority recommend neck sizing only until you need to FL size. My limited reloading knowledge/experience tells me this is good to avoid overworking the brass.

I'm considering getting the Lee 2 die Neck sizing die set #90734 AND the Redding Body die #75287. My interpretation of the descriptions of these 2 die sets would allow me to neck size (Lee)and FL size/bump (Redding) the shoulder back as needed. Will these different brands of dies being used on the same brass but at different times cause me problems, and if yes, what would or could those problems be.

I want to keep the reloading process as simple as possible so I can learn and understand the process and be comfortable/safe shooting my own ammo.

TIA, as lots of good info already posted, just looking for some clairification.
Master Piddler ;)
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: ANOTHER 204 Die Question

Post by Bill K »

As you are talking about doing, with each die or set. They will work just fine for you in this manner. But having said that I would also add, that personally, I like to keep the same brand of die set the same, so that the inside die dimensions will be as close to the same, with that maker using the same cutter/reamers on them. But rest assured, you set up will do a very serviceable job, for you. Bill K
Varmint Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger Rem XR-100,20VT, 20SCC,20TAC. Cortez, CO

Post by Varmint Shooter »

Another way to go is with a custom bushing die, from 3 fired pieces of brass. A little more money, but everything
would be the same each time.
jpx2rk
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV, R783/20P combo

Post by jpx2rk »

Thanks for the replies.

Would it be better (easier on me) to use all Lee dies or all Redding dies?? I assume I will get, or should get the same basic results with either brand.

Not wanting to start a "brand" debate, just looking to get consistent results with the least amount of fuss/frustration at this early stage of my reloading career. LOL
Master Piddler ;)
MZ5
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator

Post by MZ5 »

IMEO, a Lee collet neck sizer + a Redding Body die is ideal. I prefer that combo above all others, including Redding's bushing sizers, which are needlessly fiddly, in my view.

It would NOT be easier nor better in any way to choose only 1 brand of dies.
Last edited by MZ5 on Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jepp2
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Phoenix, Rem 700 VLS, Rem 700 VS SF II

Post by jepp2 »

Will these different brands of dies being used on the same brass but at different times cause me problems
Doesn't for me. I either go with the Redding Body die followed by the Lee Collet die, or hone the die neck on a FL sizer die to the diameter I want. My goal is to minimize the case neck runout when sizing. Either option listed above accomplishes that for me.

When I have used bushing dies, the case neck runout has always been greater.
NRA Benefactor Life member
MZ5
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator

Post by MZ5 »

jepp2 wrote:When I have used bushing dies, the case neck runout has always been greater.
Same here. I quit the bushing dies in significant part due to that.