Reloading n00b. Where to start?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
JaxTeller
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Reloading n00b. Where to start?

Post by JaxTeller »

Title says it all. Looking to start reloading.

Thinking of going the route of Hornady Kit. And they have a Mail-in-rebate for 500 bullets (223, 6mm, etc..). The kit looks like it includes everything I need - apart from the dies. I have some questions for the more seasoned re-loaders.

Firstly, is this a good kit? Anything else that might be better for a noob like me?

I will probably be using once fired factory brass. Will these need to be cleaned? How about case length? Will these be off for once fired brass. If so, should I plan on getting a case trimmer... and who makes one for the 204? What powder and bullets are you using..

What else should I be aware of?
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Reloading n00b. Where to start?

Post by Bill K »

Welcome to the world of reloading and shooting. Hornady, RCBS and others all put out a good starter kit, that will work for you, for years. The added incentive of the bullets, makes Hornady a good choice.
As for the one fired brass, yes clean them and then check for length, if necessary trim them to specs, A case trimmer will be needed for your reloading, and there are numerous one's on the market to choose from, each will work fine. as for powder, bullets, etc. you will probably try several, until you find one your rifle likes the best. But a good start is with hornady or Sierra's in the 32 grain weight. As for powder, that also varys. Buy a good reloading book (Hornaday make a fine one also) read it, beginning in the front section that gives information on reloading procedures and safety advice. Then follow their reloading guide for the cartridge you will be reloading and also the types or brand of powder they recommend. That way you get into this game with decent advice and of course the safety factor. Bill K
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I think you are on the right track as far as looking at kits. Also look at the RCBS kits. Just make sure they come with every thing you need. Some things that don't come with most kits, that I can think of right now, include a caliper, a good primer pocket uniformer, and as far as case pad, I don't use them . I use Sinclair's case lube ;). A case trimmer is not necessary right of the bat, but is a good idea sometime in the future. Also think about getting an OAL kit, so you can check bullet setting depth and where you are at as far how much or how little your bullet jump is, and will be handy when working up loads for your rifle, i.e adjusting bullet seating depth. Also buy yourself a good reloading manual, and read, as much information you can absorb. You will need it when looking for any load/powder/primer combination. Don't rely on someone elses loads. Do your homework! That is all I can think of right now. Just take your time, and enjoy the process of rolling your own. It is great satisfaction to anyone who does this.
Also, don't be afraid to ask questions, there is a great wealth of information, in these members heads, and almost anyone here on the forum, is always willing to help as much as we can!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Varmint Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger Rem XR-100,20VT, 20SCC,20TAC. Cortez, CO

Post by Varmint Shooter »

Both Bill K and Futuretrades are giving good advice. Also by quality products the first time around and you will be a lot
happier, plus saving money in long run.
savgebolt
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Venture , model 12 savage

Post by savgebolt »

jax,,,, hello,,, i just ventured down the path your entering about a year ago at age 63 i had reloaded as teenager and moved away from it , as with you i got a lot advice from the guys above and RIO and others,,,,, after all is said and done i would suggest looking long and hard at the lee products,,,,, and with out question ,, the lee book is great,,, enjoy the journey