new here with question about 8208 xbr powder

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Aus_Ryno
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ527 American Standard barrel

Re: new here with question about 8208 xbr powder

Post by Aus_Ryno »

Did my development for the 39gn SBK and 26.8gn of 8208 worked a treat in my CZ. From my previous post it was meant to be CCI 400 primers... They grouped at 100M .506" for five shots, the one "flier" was either my shooting (probably) or the target swinging in the wind, but the remaining four were in a single hole of .232" across. I'll take that gladly.
I couldn't get the 40gn Vmax any better than .7" which was using 27.0gn 8208 but I caan go a little higher which might be the trick.
Don't have a chrony so no speeds.
Fat Albert
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Fat Albert »

People-People People- a lot of you are getting way to anal about published loading data. The last time I checked Moses did not have any load data with him when came down from Mt. Sinai . There are at the min. about 100 variables in the component's and gun when you load a case. Bullet and powder manf. load data is about ---SPEED---- and getting you to buy a different powder or bullet that they can make more money off of. Have you ever seen them list the "extreme spread" that they got from a load? Look at Alliant Powder load data, half of their data is NOW for new powder that that I have not seen for sale. They want you to get the new "Latest and Greatest" powder so they make more money. Also, don't put big deal about "Lot #'s". I bought a 250 pack of Nos Varmag bullets and was checking them for weight and base to ogive distant and was getting 3 different reading for both. I called Nosler about it and the Tec. said that were running 3 lines at the same time but were putting them in the same pot before being packaged. But they were the same "LOT". Powder is the same way. Canister powders are a blend that with a set weight of powder you will get the burn rate and pressure within a high and low limits that they have set. Your can of powder could be on the high end of burn rate and on the low end of pressure or just the reverse. I always look at the listed max load and start at a 90% load and work up. PS: The terms SAMMI and CIP are manufacture's buzz words that mean "Cover Are butt" start low and work up
slickshot223
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage, Kimber, Contender

Post by slickshot223 »

I have three different rifles in 204 all have the 12 twist and all three shoot the same loads using 4895, H335,RL15, and mil 844!! group sizes range from .437 to .289!! Bullets are Sierras 39 gr, 40 gr Vmax!! Am very hard pressed to believe that the 12 twist is too slow for this weight bullets!! My 2$!
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Some say it is, some say it is not. Some 1/12 twist will shoot the 40 grain very well, others, for some unk reason will only stabilize the 39 grain. Who knows why, but whatever works for you and your rifle best, then go for it. No one should be forced or unhappy trying or playing with something that will not work. We do what we have to, for our rifle to shoot the best it and we can. Bill K