electronic powder scales

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

electronic powder scales

Post by randyman »

I've been using my RCBS 5-10 beam scale for many years and have always thought they were the way to go vrs. electronic scales. Now I'm starting to doubt myself since I got a crhonograph and have been seeing as much as 200 fps variances in the same load. I realize there are more than one stages of the reloading process that can affect bullet performance but I'm thinking a good reliable electronic scale may be a good place to start for a bit more consistency. I borrowed my sons pocket size Frankford Aresenal scale but it will start to drift around a little after being left on for a couple minutes. So, my question to all you is what would you recommend for a good, quality electronic scale? Thanks, Randy.
Varmint Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger Rem XR-100,20VT, 20SCC,20TAC. Cortez, CO

Re: electronic powder scales

Post by Varmint Shooter »

I have the RCBS Charge Master. Been using it for almost 4 years, not a single problem. Very accurate and consistent.
My shooting buddy Bill K has the Hornady model and is quite happy with it.
jpx2rk
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV, R783/20P combo

Post by jpx2rk »

The electronic scales usually need several minutes to warm up and they become "more" stable, but the two that I have used still would drift which requires recalbrating or "zeroing" on a regular basis. They are accurate but it's frustrating to keep hitting the tare/zero button numerous times.
Master Piddler ;)
brooksb
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M12 FV

Post by brooksb »

another Two cents worth, I've had the RCBS Micro electronic scale for at least Ten years, it will weigh my powder pan with a variation of 2 to 3 tenths every time after I calibrate which is before each batch of 25 and it drifts Low as much as 2 tenths. I asked the RCBS folks about this and they recommended placing the scale on a fabric anti static sheet and this has limited the drift to no more than 2 tenths and usually just 1 tenth for a bath of 25 rounds, and 1 tenth is what they're advertised at. I have test weights and my beam scale weighs accurately with whatever combination of weights I use as does the Micro up to about 20 grains above that it starts weighing light and by the time I get to 50 grains it's off or light by about 4 tenths, so for 06 or 300 loads it's pretty poor. I've gone back to using the micro for initial calibration of the powder measure and to double check the beam scale about every 5 or 10 loads, I weigh every load on the beam for the .204.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I don't shoot in any competition shooting, just for what we call our rats out here in the west. I have been using my RCBS 1500 Chargemaster for over 15 yrs, or maybe longer. I sent it back to RCBS about ten years ago to have it recalibrated. They sent a note that all I needed to do, was to clean it up once in a while with a dryer sheet to get rid of the static charge. I double check it every once in a while against my balance beam scale just to make sure I am not getting any overcharges, or under charges, but it will be within 1/10 gr. every time I check. Even the best balance beam scale only guarantees accuracy to within 1/10 gr. So for my shooting , I use only my electronic scale. Just my 2 cents
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
randyman

Post by randyman »

Thanks for all the help on this. I thought is was just this little cheap electric scale that was drifting around a bit. I know the pan from the RCBS beam scale weighs in at 142.4 grains. I hit the tare button and get a 00.0 reading but after loading powder in 10 or so rounds I notice it could be anywhere from 142.2 to 142.6. I usually just shut it down and restart. I turn off the ceiling fan and make sure my little portable bench is level but never thought about an anti-static mat. I'll give that a try to see what happens but I'm looking pretty hard at the RCBS Rangemaster scale so if anyone has experience with it please let me know. I'm hoping they have one at RCBS so I can check it out there this afternoon. Randy.
randyman

Post by randyman »

Thanks for all the help on this. I thought is was just this little cheap electric scale that was drifting around a bit. I know the pan from the RCBS beam scale weighs in at 142.4 grains. I hit the tare button and get a 00.0 reading but after loading powder in 10 or so rounds I notice it could be anywhere from 142.2 to 142.6. I usually just shut it down and restart. I turn off the ceiling fan and make sure my little portable bench is level but never thought about an anti-static mat. I'll give that a try to see what happens but I'm looking pretty hard at the RCBS Rangemaster scale so if anyone has experience with it please let me know. I'm hoping they have one at RCBS so I can check it out there this afternoon. Randy.
brooksb
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M12 FV

Post by brooksb »

Randyman, after hearing all the good stuff on the Chargemaster I planned on stopping by today also.