16" Barrel

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
ShayParker0770
.204 Ruger Guns: 2 204 AR and 3 Bolt action 204

16" Barrel

Post by ShayParker0770 »

Hey guys, i just bought another 204 bolt action savage 22" barrel and I'm considering cutting the barrel down to 16-18" and threading so i can always have a suppressor on it and still be somewhat of a compact length. Has anyone tried to cut one down that far and how much velocity or accuracy seems to be lost? Also with a shorter barrel i think a faster burning powder would be a better decision. Any Ideas?

Thanks.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: 16" Barrel

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Shay, welcome to the forum. How about introducing yourself in the new member forum?

The site shown below should answer your basic question and give you an idea of final velocity after cutting your barrel. But you are correct in that you will have to experiment a bit to find the most suitable powder for a short suppressed barrel to both save your suppressor innards and to avoid a fireball of a muzzle flash.

https://www.bullberry.com/204-ruger-velocity-data

Good luck, sounds like another fun project. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Re: 16" Barrel

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I have a Ultra light with a 20" barrel that I use for coyote hunting it is handy but ear shattering, I cut another barrel down to 21" inches I would not do it again. You will want to keep the can on all the time. If I shoot too much with these guns, even with hearing protection I get head aches in the evenings. I have a 22" barrel that I am going to use for the coyotes and stick with at least a 24" for squirrels. The concussion from these rounds in my opinion is severe. I would love to have a can on my rifles. Maybe this is just me. Good luck with your project let us know how it goes.